ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

painful wrist

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: painful wrist

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Barbel wrote:I was wondering if anyone gets back pains from carrying pouches? It's worse in the morning for me when I wake up and have to have a good stretch then it's not as bad throughout the day.
I suffer back pain when I am on leave or after delivery, as though my back was unwinding - just to add we are still not P&L.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: painful wrist

Post by spiderj »

Even on p n l it prob won't be any better
If you're involved in the revision try and get the planners outside
Couple of our ones are killers.
The p n l that is.
:nana
I won
Kirsty952002
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 11:47
Gender: Female

painful wrist

Post by Kirsty952002 »

I've been in the job coming 3 months now, and I thiNk I am starting to get the symptoms of carpal tunnel in the base of my right thumb. This is probably from sorting and carrying packets and the PDA. A dull ache when I move my thumb, will keep an eye on I before I go to my GP, as I have only just started in he job.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

painful wrist

Post by Mobey »

It could be tendonitis of the wrist.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

painful wrist

Post by Lincox »

It could also be arthritis in the base of the thumbs. I suffer with both of mine, most of the time ok but flares up every now and again. Although retired for two years I am convinced that it was brought on by sorting and handling bundles over many years.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

painful wrist

Post by woopesh »

I get the symptoms of carpal tunnel and a sore back if I put a heavy satchel across my shoulder consistently throughout the day and week. I started to use the LWT or HCT more and the symptoms went away. I'll only do a 6kg or 7kg bag now and alternate between bag and trolley. Slows me down but I never get sore anything except my head when I think about RM management. Massive bundles that strain rubberbands don't make any difference for me. With the HCT, sometimes I'll stick the bundle in the tray and only pick out letters of whatever delivery point I'm at. The point is to vary how your body is used. Sometimes I'll even run in quick bursts or take two stairs at a time for the same reasons.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Re: painful wrist

Post by WOBBLY »

Barbel wrote:I was wondering if anyone gets back pains from carrying pouches? It's worse in the morning for me when I wake up and have to have a good stretch then it's not as bad throughout the day.
I suffered lower back pain and severe sciatica that put me off for a while. Turned out the problem was caused from getting in and out of the low slung Vauxhall Combi van. Had the van swapped to a Peugeot Partner and the symptoms went within weeks!