ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leaving after 7 weeks

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by rubberbond »

kram123 wrote:I left recently after lasting 6 weeks. The notice on me leaving in my contract stated that I had to give 4 weeks notice, I didn't, I just walked. I enjoyed the job, but the management in my office were SCUM! I made a decision to cut my losses and move on. good luck to you.
You were almost a veteran! One chap left after a day at our office.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by Judgee »

Wish I'd left after 7 weeks. If you're going to leave you're better off doing it sooner rather than later that way you cut down your suffering. Too late for me now, too old to change so I guess I'll just plod on til I drop down dead with exhaustion one day whilst out on my daily walk to the moon! :sad:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

aiden01 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:But double check your contract as some new ones require 28 days.
What is the consequences if you just leave. as regarding op,s post
Normally nothing much, especially for new starts.

However, Job Centre will sanction you. Also, any employer has a right to sue employees if they quit without notice, though it is very rare.
Royal Mail has the right to mention in any subsequent reference that you left without giving notice.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by rubberbond »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:But double check your contract as some new ones require 28 days.
What is the consequences if you just leave. as regarding op,s post
Normally nothing much, especially for new starts.

However, Job Centre will sanction you. Also, any employer has a right to sue employees if they quit without notice, though it is very rare.
Royal Mail has the right to mention in any subsequent reference that you left without giving notice.
Is there some agreement, in the first 6 months ,that you can leave by mutual agreement if it isn't working for both parties?
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by PHARRY »

coombster wrote:Been spoke to like a complete t**t by the higher ups. I'm not interested in taking it further. Just want to say stick it
Bit of a hot head aren't you throwing your toys out of the Pram
Theghost
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 417
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by Theghost »

Just walk and tell them you wont be bullied or harrassed by anyone.
They wont take any action on you for leaving,You just threaten to tell all to the papers about the bullying that is going on if they do.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by Postie45 »

PHARRY wrote:
coombster wrote:Been spoke to like a complete t**t by the higher ups. I'm not interested in taking it further. Just want to say stick it
Bit of a hot head aren't you throwing your toys out of the Pram
how would you know based on that one post ? you dont know anything other than the fact he feels hes been treated so badly he feels he has to leave.
SpongeBobPants
Posts: 29
Joined: 13 Jun 2016, 14:50
Gender: Female

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by SpongeBobPants »

Feeling similar at the moment. Shouted at and called stupid down the phone by a manager. Not been in RM six months yet and looking for another job. I'd make sure you have another job to go to first.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

PHARRY wrote:
coombster wrote:Been spoke to like a complete t**t by the higher ups. I'm not interested in taking it further. Just want to say stick it
Bit of a hot head aren't you throwing your toys out of the Pram
bit trollish throwing out unworthy comments.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by scoobydo79 »

I never thought I would say this but it makes Me feel quite sad to see people say they want to sling the job in after such a short time. Ive had some real s**t jobs and Royal Mail isnt among them. I remember feeling ecstatic during My first week because it got Me off an assembly line where You had to raise Your hand if You needed a p---.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by Judgee »

scoobydo79 wrote:I never thought I would say this but it makes Me feel quite sad to see people say they want to sling the job in after such a short time. Ive had some real s**t jobs and Royal Mail isnt among them. I remember feeling ecstatic during My first week because it got Me off an assembly line where You had to raise Your hand if You needed a p---.
The way RM is going I'd start practicing that hand raising I think you're may need it again soon! :roll:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by Nondescript »

rubberbond wrote:
kram123 wrote:I left recently after lasting 6 weeks. The notice on me leaving in my contract stated that I had to give 4 weeks notice, I didn't, I just walked. I enjoyed the job, but the management in my office were SCUM! I made a decision to cut my losses and move on. good luck to you.
You were almost a veteran! One chap left after a day at our office.
We have several vacancies in our office. The DOM hand picked only one of the numerous interviewees for a start , she started on a Tuesday and lasted one day. :neutral:
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by Darren Bent »

Just stick with job another month and see how it is going. Just talk to colleagues.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by greengiant »

Give it a few more weeks, once you are out the office you're getting paid to go for a walk. I'm sure Lino's act like that to "test" new starts, speak to colleagues, im sure they experienced the same.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by baldrick »

Judgee wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote: got Me off an assembly line where You had to raise Your hand if You needed a p---.
The way RM is going I'd start practicing that hand raising I think you're may need it again soon! :roll:
You have to tell your line manager when you are going to the toilet in mcs. Some of them even follow you to make sure you're really going there. :sad: