ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Scanning every parcel
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
I'm getting increasingly more frustrated with these new square box things we have to scan. I have no problem scanning them, they say scan them, I scan them. The problem is you get to the door, knock, scan the damn things, turn the PDA this way, that way, bit closer, bit further away, cast a shadow over it with your body, the customer is standing there waiting, you are starting to look like a pratt. Try inputting that very long number in manually, number not valid, hand the parcel over without getting it scanned. Some work, some don't. t is probably the customers printers that are rubbish and causing the problem, I don't see why they don't just have the same barcode as signed fors etc, they generally scan every time with no issues.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Scanning every parcel
Why make life difficult for yourself?
Attempt to scan it before knocking. Attempt again (if necessary) while waiting for a reply.
Scan a third time (in necessary) before handing it over.
If it doesn't scan, then it doesn't scan. Manually entering the number (except on Special or Recorded items) is a pointless waste of time.
Some won't scan for a lot of different reasons. The new PDAs are apparently much better at this.
Attempt to scan it before knocking. Attempt again (if necessary) while waiting for a reply.
Scan a third time (in necessary) before handing it over.
If it doesn't scan, then it doesn't scan. Manually entering the number (except on Special or Recorded items) is a pointless waste of time.
Some won't scan for a lot of different reasons. The new PDAs are apparently much better at this.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
Oh no they're not, most do scan,but if there is a slight crease in the barcode,they are not scanning.motherhubbard wrote:Why make life difficult for yourself?
Attempt to scan it before knocking. Attempt again (if necessary) while waiting for a reply.
Scan a third time (in necessary) before handing it over.
If it doesn't scan, then it doesn't scan. Manually entering the number (except on Special or Recorded items) is a pointless waste of time.
Some won't scan for a lot of different reasons. The new PDAs are apparently much better at this.
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
2d scans on letters that are also increasing in volume , our workload is forever increasing
-
madmax1
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
- Gender: Male
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
Some of the scanners are distinctly better than others as I have found out recently. My partner's scanner will scan almost every bar code quickly whereas mine is very hit and miss with more misses than hits. I know this to be true as we ended up swopping them the other week by accident. Lo and behold he then had the same problems as I had wheras I was able to scan the overwhelming majority. But the ordinary bar codes scan quickly with either machine.rubberbond wrote:Oh no they're not, most do scan,but if there is a slight crease in the barcode,they are not scanning.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12202
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
Is there any crap on the scanner lens?BeamishStout wrote:Some of the scanners are distinctly better than others as I have found out recently. My partner's scanner will scan almost every bar code quickly whereas mine is very hit and miss with more misses than hits. I know this to be true as we ended up swopping them the other week by accident. Lo and behold he then had the same problems as I had wheras I was able to scan the overwhelming majority. But the ordinary bar codes scan quickly with either machine.rubberbond wrote:Oh no they're not, most do scan,but if there is a slight crease in the barcode,they are not scanning.
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
Scanning every parcel
None that I can see.SpacePhoenix wrote:Is there any crap on the scanner lens?BeamishStout wrote:Some of the scanners are distinctly better than others as I have found out recently. My partner's scanner will scan almost every bar code quickly whereas mine is very hit and miss with more misses than hits. I know this to be true as we ended up swopping them the other week by accident. Lo and behold he then had the same problems as I had wheras I was able to scan the overwhelming majority. But the ordinary bar codes scan quickly with either machine.rubberbond wrote:Oh no they're not, most do scan,but if there is a slight crease in the barcode,they are not scanning.