ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Scanning every parcel

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Surreypostie »

I'm getting increasingly more frustrated with these new square box things we have to scan. I have no problem scanning them, they say scan them, I scan them. The problem is you get to the door, knock, scan the damn things, turn the PDA this way, that way, bit closer, bit further away, cast a shadow over it with your body, the customer is standing there waiting, you are starting to look like a pratt. Try inputting that very long number in manually, number not valid, hand the parcel over without getting it scanned. Some work, some don't. t is probably the customers printers that are rubbish and causing the problem, I don't see why they don't just have the same barcode as signed fors etc, they generally scan every time with no issues.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Scanning every parcel

Post by motherhubbard »

Why make life difficult for yourself?
Attempt to scan it before knocking. Attempt again (if necessary) while waiting for a reply.
Scan a third time (in necessary) before handing it over.
If it doesn't scan, then it doesn't scan. Manually entering the number (except on Special or Recorded items) is a pointless waste of time.
Some won't scan for a lot of different reasons. The new PDAs are apparently much better at this.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by rubberbond »

motherhubbard wrote:Why make life difficult for yourself?
Attempt to scan it before knocking. Attempt again (if necessary) while waiting for a reply.
Scan a third time (in necessary) before handing it over.
If it doesn't scan, then it doesn't scan. Manually entering the number (except on Special or Recorded items) is a pointless waste of time.
Some won't scan for a lot of different reasons. The new PDAs are apparently much better at this.
Oh no they're not, most do scan,but if there is a slight crease in the barcode,they are not scanning.
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by lightningpostman »

2d scans on letters that are also increasing in volume , our workload is forever increasing
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by BeamishStout »

rubberbond wrote:Oh no they're not, most do scan,but if there is a slight crease in the barcode,they are not scanning.
Some of the scanners are distinctly better than others as I have found out recently. My partner's scanner will scan almost every bar code quickly whereas mine is very hit and miss with more misses than hits. I know this to be true as we ended up swopping them the other week by accident. Lo and behold he then had the same problems as I had wheras I was able to scan the overwhelming majority. But the ordinary bar codes scan quickly with either machine. :crazy:
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12202
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by SpacePhoenix »

BeamishStout wrote:
rubberbond wrote:Oh no they're not, most do scan,but if there is a slight crease in the barcode,they are not scanning.
Some of the scanners are distinctly better than others as I have found out recently. My partner's scanner will scan almost every bar code quickly whereas mine is very hit and miss with more misses than hits. I know this to be true as we ended up swopping them the other week by accident. Lo and behold he then had the same problems as I had wheras I was able to scan the overwhelming majority. But the ordinary bar codes scan quickly with either machine. :crazy:
Is there any crap on the scanner lens?
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by BeamishStout »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
BeamishStout wrote:
rubberbond wrote:Oh no they're not, most do scan,but if there is a slight crease in the barcode,they are not scanning.
Some of the scanners are distinctly better than others as I have found out recently. My partner's scanner will scan almost every bar code quickly whereas mine is very hit and miss with more misses than hits. I know this to be true as we ended up swopping them the other week by accident. Lo and behold he then had the same problems as I had wheras I was able to scan the overwhelming majority. But the ordinary bar codes scan quickly with either machine. :crazy:
Is there any crap on the scanner lens?
None that I can see.