ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Scanning every parcel

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Chewster »

Postie45 wrote:
Chewster wrote:

On occasion I've tried to scan the square barcodes with our PDAs and not once have they actually scanned. Will the PDAs be getting a software update to accommodate these barcodes?
Maybe there has been a software update as I can confirm they are scanning for me...
Hmm I'll have to give it another bash tomorrow and see if it works
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by wannabeek »

Chewster wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
Chewster wrote:

On occasion I've tried to scan the square barcodes with our PDAs and not once have they actually scanned. Will the PDAs be getting a software update to accommodate these barcodes?
Maybe there has been a software update as I can confirm they are scanning for me...
Hmm I'll have to give it another bash tomorrow and see if it works
Huh? I think these endless quotes of quotes of quotes are getting into disarray. I never said the quote now attributed to me!
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Jpro747 »

Postie45 wrote:Its great that we have been given more work which will make the deliveries take longer to do, so of course I expect RM to be doing another revision to make sure the duties are made smaller to absorb the extra workload ? :crazy:
This is royal mail were talking about. They will just announce it in WTL, everyone will moan about how much longer it will take, then proceed to go out on delivery and find even more corners to cut so they can still go home early :crazy:
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Chewster »

wannabeek wrote:
Chewster wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
Chewster wrote:


On occasion I've tried to scan the square barcodes with our PDAs and not once have they actually scanned. Will the PDAs be getting a software update to accommodate these barcodes?
Maybe there has been a software update as I can confirm they are scanning for me...
Hmm I'll have to give it another bash tomorrow and see if it works
Huh? I think these endless quotes of quotes of quotes are getting into disarray. I never said the quote now attributed to me!
It was me that said it originally! I think things just got a little bit mixed up with the codes for the quotes
zola4ever
Posts: 74
Joined: 08 Aug 2007, 14:58
Gender: Male
Location: NORTH OF PENZANCE

Scanning every parcel

Post by zola4ever »

I was told about this last week. Obviously this wont add any extra time to your walk, rather like the deliver to the neighbour idea, I understand doing this doesn't take any extra time. :nana
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Scanning every parcel

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Sorted the misquotes - 2 extra quote codes were left saying nothing when the original post was snipped
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chitchat
Posts: 366
Joined: 30 Jan 2013, 15:18
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Chitchat »

If every parcel is scanned as standard, what would be the point in RM Tracked?
HarryPoorer
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by HarryPoorer »

Maybe they should make sure all barcodes scan first, too much time wasted inputting each one, some ebay parcels come through with a printed one and an orange one because the p.o. can't be bothered inputting it :crazy:
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Scanning every parcel

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Chitchat wrote:If every parcel is scanned as standard, what would be the point in RM Tracked?
To give it a name?
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Scanning every parcel

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Chitchat wrote:If every parcel is scanned as standard, what would be the point in RM Tracked?
Tracked is and will be scanned at every point in the pipeline.

Standard parcels will only be scanned at key points.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Chewster »

Gave it another bash today and my PDA did indeed scan the square barcodes, must have been a software update in recent months.

On the topic of barcodes, on occasion I have come across Tracked items that have the standard Tracked barcode that doesn't usually require a signature, but very occasionally they've had another barcode IN ADDITION to the tracked barcode on them, the tracking barcode not requiring a signature and the other barcode asking for a signature. Anybody got any clue what that's about? Been a while since I've come across it, all I can remember is it wasn't Amazon, I think it might have been Markies but I could be making that up :crazy:
Chitchat
Posts: 366
Joined: 30 Jan 2013, 15:18
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Chitchat »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Chitchat wrote:If every parcel is scanned as standard, what would be the point in RM Tracked?
Tracked is and will be scanned at every point in the pipeline.

Standard parcels will only be scanned at key points.
Will that be enough of a selling point to stop companies from down grading to standards parcels as this will give what most companies want, confirmation of delivery!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Scanning every parcel

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

No because tracked is sold to bulk customers and is therefore priced on the number they send over the year, Standard Parcels are for the General Public and non bulk senders.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Chitchat
Posts: 366
Joined: 30 Jan 2013, 15:18
Gender: Male

Scanning every parcel

Post by Chitchat »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:No because tracked is sold to bulk customers and is therefore priced on the number they send over the year, Standard Parcels are for the General Public and non bulk senders.
But not all bulk customers use RM tracked,
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Scanning every parcel

Post by BingBong »

We already are in our office. It's rubbish.
Toon Army!