ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Scanning 2D barcodes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by sussexlad »

Had my hands on one of the new PDA's last week and because it is now a LED scan light and not a laser scan light it only needs a sniff of a barcode now and it will scan it. Hopefully it will solve any scanning problems.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by greengiant »

sussexlad wrote:Had my hands on one of the new PDA's last week and because it is now a LED scan light and not a laser scan light it only needs a sniff of a barcode now and it will scan it. Hopefully it will solve any scanning problems.
an LED scan light? Does it mean we could have a disco with several of them?

:nana
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by sussexlad »

I guess you could. The LED scanning light is a lot safer than the laser light, although it's still not a good idea to shine it at people's eyes.
postie1975
Posts: 30
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 15:51
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by postie1975 »

this is a joke when you got mail and packets with the 2d image to scan it slows you down having to keep get the pda out that and amazon tracked dvds.
most of our pdas don't have a strap any more so you cant carry the pda on your bundle hand.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by BeamishStout »

Surreypostie wrote:I've been scanning them for ages just to get into the habit of it, quite a few don't scan. I just hand them over. If we get grief for it I shall leave a p739 for any that won't scan and they managers can deal with the irate customers who come in to pick them up.
First day today with these new instructions and the first 6 scan attempts failed to scan (using old PDA). I tried to scan every one of said items and only managed 4 scans of these items. I shall scan a return by putting the numbers letters in manually (without the dashes) and see what happens. Must have had about a dozen or so in total that did not scan using the PDA. :funneh
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by Acca Dacca »

BeamishStout wrote:
Surreypostie wrote:I've been scanning them for ages just to get into the habit of it, quite a few don't scan. I just hand them over. If we get grief for it I shall leave a p739 for any that won't scan and they managers can deal with the irate customers who come in to pick them up.
First day today with these new instructions and the first 6 scan attempts failed to scan (using old PDA). I tried to scan every one of said items and only managed 4 scans of these items. I shall scan a return by putting the numbers letters in manually (without the dashes) and see what happens. Must have had about a dozen or so in total that did not scan using the PDA. :funneh
Mine were the same.

Confused looking customers as I'm repeatedly scanning and getting nothing 'just a minute'
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Pathfinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 208
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by Pathfinder »

Same here! Absolute joke, did they not even test it before putting it live.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by BeamishStout »

My suggestion to anyone reading this thread is to do a sample scan in the depot of something non-tracked, non-recorded, non-special with just these 2D bar codes on (ignore the dashes for a manual input) and prove to our LInos/Coaches that the system as it stands is broken in that that some do scan many many don't. I intend doing this for an item if I have time in the morning cause I don't intend to be lectured about why we are non-complying. Could well be an issue with older PDAs reading other posts. Really ticks me off :mad
Zicomurphy
Posts: 579
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by Zicomurphy »

Not even been mentioned in our office. Until instructed otherwise will just keep delivering without scanning.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by eastie »

keep trying to scan these 2D barcodes about half a dozen times and give up and the battery runs out halfway through the round.
Surely we should wait until we get the decent scanners before doing these
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Very mixed bag of results from first day of 2D scanning, including some that only had the 2D barcode and had to be 739ed and others that weren't seen as valid barcodes by the PDA!
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by Spedley »

All mine scanned although I think I probably missed some - not used to looking for them yet.
nickinoneck
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 15:37
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by nickinoneck »

BeamishStout wrote:
Surreypostie wrote:I've been scanning them for ages just to get into the habit of it, quite a few don't scan. I just hand them over. If we get grief for it I shall leave a p739 for any that won't scan and they managers can deal with the irate customers who come in to pick them up.
First day today with these new instructions and the first 6 scan attempts failed to scan (using old PDA). I tried to scan every one of said items and only managed 4 scans of these items. I shall scan a return by putting the numbers letters in manually (without the dashes) and see what happens. Must have had about a dozen or so in total that did not scan using the PDA. :funneh
If the 1d barcode does not scan you do not have to input that long number with hyphens. Our DOM is expecting some to not scan saying the new PDAs ( whenever they turn up!) will hopefully have a better capture rate.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by Justanotherstar »

We was told not to bother with putting the numbers in if they didn't scan, Wednesday is going to be a record for people going over or cutting off :chuckle
Spottyjohn
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Dec 2015, 22:39
Gender: Male

Scanning 2D barcodes

Post by Spottyjohn »

The idea is that a lot more info can be stored on a QR as opposed to
A bar code.