ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Scanning 2D barcodes
-
sussexlad
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
Had my hands on one of the new PDA's last week and because it is now a LED scan light and not a laser scan light it only needs a sniff of a barcode now and it will scan it. Hopefully it will solve any scanning problems.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
an LED scan light? Does it mean we could have a disco with several of them?sussexlad wrote:Had my hands on one of the new PDA's last week and because it is now a LED scan light and not a laser scan light it only needs a sniff of a barcode now and it will scan it. Hopefully it will solve any scanning problems.
-
sussexlad
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
I guess you could. The LED scanning light is a lot safer than the laser light, although it's still not a good idea to shine it at people's eyes.
-
postie1975
- Posts: 30
- Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
this is a joke when you got mail and packets with the 2d image to scan it slows you down having to keep get the pda out that and amazon tracked dvds.
most of our pdas don't have a strap any more so you cant carry the pda on your bundle hand.
most of our pdas don't have a strap any more so you cant carry the pda on your bundle hand.
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
First day today with these new instructions and the first 6 scan attempts failed to scan (using old PDA). I tried to scan every one of said items and only managed 4 scans of these items. I shall scan a return by putting the numbers letters in manually (without the dashes) and see what happens. Must have had about a dozen or so in total that did not scan using the PDA.Surreypostie wrote:I've been scanning them for ages just to get into the habit of it, quite a few don't scan. I just hand them over. If we get grief for it I shall leave a p739 for any that won't scan and they managers can deal with the irate customers who come in to pick them up.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
Mine were the same.BeamishStout wrote:First day today with these new instructions and the first 6 scan attempts failed to scan (using old PDA). I tried to scan every one of said items and only managed 4 scans of these items. I shall scan a return by putting the numbers letters in manually (without the dashes) and see what happens. Must have had about a dozen or so in total that did not scan using the PDA.Surreypostie wrote:I've been scanning them for ages just to get into the habit of it, quite a few don't scan. I just hand them over. If we get grief for it I shall leave a p739 for any that won't scan and they managers can deal with the irate customers who come in to pick them up.
Confused looking customers as I'm repeatedly scanning and getting nothing 'just a minute'
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
Pathfinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 208
- Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 13:50
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
Same here! Absolute joke, did they not even test it before putting it live.
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
My suggestion to anyone reading this thread is to do a sample scan in the depot of something non-tracked, non-recorded, non-special with just these 2D bar codes on (ignore the dashes for a manual input) and prove to our LInos/Coaches that the system as it stands is broken in that that some do scan many many don't. I intend doing this for an item if I have time in the morning cause I don't intend to be lectured about why we are non-complying. Could well be an issue with older PDAs reading other posts. Really ticks me off 
-
Zicomurphy
- Posts: 579
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
Not even been mentioned in our office. Until instructed otherwise will just keep delivering without scanning.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
keep trying to scan these 2D barcodes about half a dozen times and give up and the battery runs out halfway through the round.
Surely we should wait until we get the decent scanners before doing these
Surely we should wait until we get the decent scanners before doing these
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
Very mixed bag of results from first day of 2D scanning, including some that only had the 2D barcode and had to be 739ed and others that weren't seen as valid barcodes by the PDA!
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Scanning 2D barcodes
All mine scanned although I think I probably missed some - not used to looking for them yet.
-
nickinoneck
- Posts: 110
- Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 15:37
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
If the 1d barcode does not scan you do not have to input that long number with hyphens. Our DOM is expecting some to not scan saying the new PDAs ( whenever they turn up!) will hopefully have a better capture rate.BeamishStout wrote:First day today with these new instructions and the first 6 scan attempts failed to scan (using old PDA). I tried to scan every one of said items and only managed 4 scans of these items. I shall scan a return by putting the numbers letters in manually (without the dashes) and see what happens. Must have had about a dozen or so in total that did not scan using the PDA.Surreypostie wrote:I've been scanning them for ages just to get into the habit of it, quite a few don't scan. I just hand them over. If we get grief for it I shall leave a p739 for any that won't scan and they managers can deal with the irate customers who come in to pick them up.
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
We was told not to bother with putting the numbers in if they didn't scan, Wednesday is going to be a record for people going over or cutting off 
-
Spottyjohn
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 19 Dec 2015, 22:39
- Gender: Male
Scanning 2D barcodes
The idea is that a lot more info can be stored on a QR as opposed to
A bar code.
A bar code.