ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by GT85 »

It doesn't really matter how many you do, most posties will claim they do more and your non postie mates won't believe you :Very Happy
We're all here because we're not all there
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by Chewster »

GT85 wrote:It doesn't really matter how many you do, most posties will claim they do more and your non postie mates won't believe you :Very Happy
Yes!! My non postie mates all seem to think this job is a piece of cake. I'd love to take them out on my duty for a day and see how they cope. I used to labour on farms and fields before this, digging holes and generally being a dogsbody, and I tell you, most of the time I'm more tired out after a day of postying than I was after a day of digging holes!
Nobbylad
Posts: 12
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 20:19
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by Nobbylad »

What app are we using for this? I feel like I'd be a contender but need to download the right app.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by scoobydo79 »

The app is "Health". It has a chart and dashboard display. Around 23000- 25000 is a common figure in our office on park and loop.On My day off I was just under 2000!!!!. Health experts say try to walk 10000 steps a day
Nobbylad
Posts: 12
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 20:19
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by Nobbylad »

Just on delivery or in a full day?
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by scoobydo79 »

Nobbylad wrote:Just on delivery or in a full day?

From leaving My front door to the end of My delivery,
lovehunter
Posts: 60
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:39
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by lovehunter »

28500 roughly each day
lovehunter
Posts: 60
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:39
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by lovehunter »

Nobbylad wrote:What app are we using for this? I feel like I'd be a contender but need to download the right app.
It's only built into iPhones from iPhone 5s onwards, not the iPhone 5c tho
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by WOBBLY »

Anything from 20000 upwards!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by woopesh »

Chewster wrote:
GT85 wrote:It doesn't really matter how many you do, most posties will claim they do more and your non postie mates won't believe you :Very Happy
Yes!! My non postie mates all seem to think this job is a piece of cake. I'd love to take them out on my duty for a day and see how they cope. I used to labour on farms and fields before this, digging holes and generally being a dogsbody, and I tell you, most of the time I'm more tired out after a day of postying than I was after a day of digging holes!
Yes!! I get the same. No one understands why I can't go out on a Saturday night anymore after a duty. They don't understand the relentless day in, day out nature of it. They all seem to think its the equivalent of going shopping for a couple of hours or something. They also think mail weighs nothing. Or if I mention a 100kg trolley or 15kg mailbag, they sort of shrug and say stuff like, 15kg isnt very much because they can bench press 100kg for 3 mins at the gym.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by woopesh »

LOL, it makes me laugh. I read somewhere the Royal Mail Pegasus software calculated each walk at 5 and a half miles. Each mile is about 2000 steps. Those of you taking 20,000 steps are walking 10 miles. How can it be? I have found the walks calculated by Pegasus to be SOOO efficient and totally on the ball. Anyone taking 10,000 to 12,000 steps is doing something wrong. :crazy:
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by scoobydo79 »

This has got me thinking now. :hmmmm
What is the least number of steps is any one counting in total on a delivery :hmmmm
Any takers????
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by Newbie001 »

woopesh wrote:LOL, it makes me laugh. I read somewhere the Royal Mail Pegasus software calculated each walk at 5 and a half miles. Each mile is about 2000 steps. Those of you taking 20,000 steps are walking 10 miles. How can it be? I have found the walks calculated by Pegasus to be SOOO efficient and totally on the ball. Anyone taking 10,000 to 12,000 steps is doing something wrong. :crazy:
Very much doubt Pegasus take into consideration the thousands of stairs on some duties, or the having to go round to back of building to deliver to door number b, stepping round bins, all the steps spent opening and closing gates. Agree we're not walking 10/15 miles, doesn't mean to say the step count is inaccurate.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by WOBBLY »

Newbie001 wrote:
woopesh wrote:LOL, it makes me laugh. I read somewhere the Royal Mail Pegasus software calculated each walk at 5 and a half miles. Each mile is about 2000 steps. Those of you taking 20,000 steps are walking 10 miles. How can it be? I have found the walks calculated by Pegasus to be SOOO efficient and totally on the ball. Anyone taking 10,000 to 12,000 steps is doing something wrong. :crazy:
Very much doubt Pegasus take into consideration the thousands of stairs on some duties, or the having to go round to back of building to deliver to door number b, stepping round bins, all the steps spent opening and closing gates. Agree we're not walking 10/15 miles, doesn't mean to say the step count is inaccurate.
Thought they had a different way of calculating walks, the names Sid and Sarah spring to mind....... unless I dreamt it :crazy: Anyway Pegasus did take into account stairs and odd 'around the back' calls. It was part of our job to inform the planners of these types of calls so the software could plan accurately! ;)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

How many steps do You take in a working day?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.uwyo.edu/wintherockies_edur/ ... rsions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.