ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Winter Gloves!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by 5plusbonusball »

Gloves! I just use cheap hand cream as a barrier, some guys wear gloves while still wearing their shorts! :crazy:
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by greengiant »

5plusbonusball wrote:Gloves! I just use cheap hand cream as a barrier, some guys wear gloves while still wearing their shorts! :crazy:
shorts in winter = arthritis in a few years time? Thermal long johns under your troosers ftw!
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by datasaint »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Hatch-Spe ... 3641.l6368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been using these over winter, not waterproof, but they're tactile enough to still be able to filter through a bundle, which is the key concern when wearing gloves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by wannabeek »

bustedflush wrote:
wannabeek wrote:If money is no object then I'd recommend these:

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/spor ... oves-olive

Toasty warm and waterproof, yet give you a free finger to separate the soggy letters while on delivery.
£50!!!!!!!!!!
You must get a fair bit of docket... :thumbup
Yeah, I do a lot of OT and if I'm going to be out walking around for 8 hours in the cold and wet I like to be comfortable. It's only the equivalent of working a normal day off one time to get nice gloves which will last a couple of years.

I'd better not admit what my raincoat cost me. It's actually waterproof, unlike the RM rubbish!
Hitcher
Posts: 1535
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by Hitcher »

I use these -

Image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNOWBEE-LIGHT ... 56790d16d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Hitcher wrote:I use these -

Image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNOWBEE-LIGHT ... 56790d16d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. I've just ordered some. Will see how I get on with these before investigating the Sealskins ones.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by Decky Boy »

Royal Mail fingerless gloves are pretty good in my opinion though I did know someone who used a proper glove on the hand holding the mail bundle. Have a proper breakfast and wear a hat and you should be okay... your manager will likely tell you to work faster :wink:
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Decky Boy wrote:Royal Mail fingerless gloves are pretty good in my opinion though I did know someone who used a proper glove on the hand holding the mail bundle. Have a proper breakfast and wear a hat and you should be okay... your manager will likely tell you to work faster :wink:
I'm a fast walker so hopefully I'll be ok!
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by toomuchcoke »

Decky Boy wrote:Royal Mail fingerless gloves are pretty good in my opinion though I did know someone who used a proper glove on the hand holding the mail bundle. Have a proper breakfast and wear a hat and you should be okay... your manager will likely tell you to work faster :wink:
Plus if you're doing a trolley round with a long push to the start and/or from the finish, then have a pair of winter gloves for those bits. Swap to the fingerless gloves when you start delivery and swap back to the full finger gloves for the return.

My tip for any driving a Vauxhall Combo would be hang 3 sacks over the cage section. Then most of the heater output stays in the cab section and doesn't escape so rapidly when you open the back!
dpn1983
Posts: 4
Joined: 17 Dec 2013, 17:42
Gender: Female

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by dpn1983 »

Sealskins.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by peshwaarinaan »

peshwaarinaan wrote:
Hitcher wrote:I use these -

Image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNOWBEE-LIGHT ... 56790d16d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. I've just ordered some. Will see how I get on with these before investigating the Sealskins ones.
They arrived today and look great but I might order some Sealskins too!
UsernameAlreadyInUse
Posts: 29
Joined: 06 Jul 2015, 00:10
Gender: Female

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by UsernameAlreadyInUse »

peshwaarinaan wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:
Hitcher wrote:I use these -

Image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNOWBEE-LIGHT ... 56790d16d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. I've just ordered some. Will see how I get on with these before investigating the Sealskins ones.
They arrived today and look great but I might order some Sealskins too!
_________________________________________________________________________
It sounds like you have the same problem as me with cold hands/fingers so, trust me, if you have even one finger exposed during a cold Winter's day, it will feel like it's dropping off after a couple of hours outside. I have tried almost every type of glove in existence, even ones with wires in them and batteries to heat the gloves up. Nothing has worked. I am definitely going to order those Sealskinz ones right now.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by greengiant »

peshwaarinaan wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:
Hitcher wrote:I use these -

Image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNOWBEE-LIGHT ... 56790d16d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. I've just ordered some. Will see how I get on with these before investigating the Sealskins ones.
They arrived today and look great but I might order some Sealskins too!
I bought a similar pair of gloves from Aldi last year (neoprene fishing gloves). Didn't last long at all as the constant holding of handrails while going up and down stairs, opening gates etc put holes in the material after a couple of weeks. :sad:
blue90
Posts: 12
Joined: 13 Jun 2013, 21:23
Gender: Male

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by blue90 »

I got these http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/ultr ... oves-black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; last winter and they were incredible. I also cand stand cold hands during my walk, especially when it's freezing cold and raining. These were a godsend though not cheap.
blue90
Posts: 12
Joined: 13 Jun 2013, 21:23
Gender: Male

Re: Winter Gloves!

Post by blue90 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealskinz-Ult ... 541298d7be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; cheaper price here.