ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

rules for taking van home

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: rules for taking van home

Post by tansorboy »

Is there still a six mile limit?
paulf0203
Posts: 121
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: rules for taking van home

Post by paulf0203 »

seaside wrote:At our office we have been told we can take the van home with us, what are the rules for this.
What prompted this initiative? is there no room for the vans at your office?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: rules for taking van home

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

tansorboy wrote:Is there still a six mile limit?
There was never a national one. The only limit applied in the agreements was
5. Where “home to start / end of work” mileage is significantly greater than the typical working mileage of a vehicle each day, Regional Fleet & Asset Managers (or equivalent) should consider viability under the scheme and directly confirm their agreement for each case
But your local office may have applied a limit when identifying potential volunteers.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
mrbungle
Posts: 23
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 13:32
Gender: Male

Re: rules for taking van home

Post by mrbungle »

paulf0203 wrote:
seaside wrote:At our office we have been told we can take the van home with us, what are the rules for this.
What prompted this initiative? is there no room for the vans at your office?
Our office have had to take over half a local public car park to make room for the extra vans, yet still I was told that unless it was parked off the public road at night they weren't interested. Bonkers.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: rules for taking van home

Post by Barbel »

I take the van home every day and have done for months and no one has ever assessed or asked where I park the van.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: rules for taking van home

Post by dave72 »

Barbel wrote:I take the van home every day and have done for months and no one has ever assessed or asked where I park the van.
They don't always tell you they check, I was surprised when I found out a few weeks after they had checked
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: rules for taking van home

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Barbel wrote:I take the van home every day and have done for months and no one has ever assessed or asked where I park the van.
- a bit behind with the authorising paperwork then. :shock:
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: rules for taking van home

Post by Barbel »

dave72 wrote:
Barbel wrote:I take the van home every day and have done for months and no one has ever assessed or asked where I park the van.
They don't always tell you they check, I was surprised when I found out a few weeks after they had checked
Ah right, well I've got nothing to worry about as it's parked on my driveway off the main road.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: rules for taking van home

Post by fishtank »

Barbel wrote:Ah right, well I've got nothing to worry about as it's parked on my driveway off the main road.

If you haven't read and signed the overnight retention policy and provided the relevant paperwork you don't have official permission to take it home, that permission has to come from DSM level or above.

If something goes wrong it's either your head or your manager's....who do you think it will be?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
sjnb6
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 May 2013, 21:49
Gender: Male

Re: rules for taking van home

Post by sjnb6 »

At the moment my dim tells me to collect the van from one office and drive it to my office. Then take out back when I've finished my time. It saves me my fuel. It's about a 40 minute round trip
dickhead
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 Jan 2019, 18:50
Gender: Male

rules for taking van home

Post by dickhead »

You should ask your employees to bring in proof that their house deeds allow them to bring their vans home and can park them there I know for a fact that my neighbor is not allowed too but does.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

rules for taking van home

Post by leolion855 »

dickhead wrote:You should ask your employees to bring in proof that their house deeds allow them to bring their vans home and can park them there I know for a fact that my neighbor is not allowed too but does.
do you live in a new build area?