ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
BACK TO OLD START TIMES
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
give me the early starts any day, searing heat is a killer, and if i hear another " reight wevver fo thy job eh" i'll lob my empty water bottle at them
-
villan
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:27
- Gender: Male
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.
Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.
Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
-
borgpicard
- Posts: 486
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
- Gender: Male
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
totally agree
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12203
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much timevillan wrote:I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.
Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.
Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12203
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much timevillan wrote:I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.
Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.
Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2227
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
Early starts summer,......should be mandatory . ,somebody will drop down dead in this searing heat,,delivering at the hottest time of day ,health and safety my a RSe . Also why don't Royal Mail introduce plain red cotton loose t shirts for the summer. The polos kill you in this heat . Cool bag for the drinks in van ,asking a lot I know . Lol
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
Look, dying isn't an option. Just get your delivery done, your lapsing and don't go over and ask DIM for OT - thats all there is to it. (as far as they are concerned.)Chelseablue wrote:Early starts summer,......should be mandatory . ,somebody will drop down dead in this searing heat,,delivering at the hottest time of day ,health and safety my a RSe . Also why don't Royal Mail introduce plain red cotton loose t shirts for the summer. The polos kill you in this heat . Cool bag for the drinks in van ,asking a lot I know . Lol
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
I think we should do delivery first, then come back to office and throw out walk for next day. Why can't we do that :(
-
villan
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:27
- Gender: Male
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
If RM can separate out the Specials and Tracked they can do the same for Signed For.SpacePhoenix wrote:You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much timevillan wrote:I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.
Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.
Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
-
Jefferson Starfish
- Posts: 905
- Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Female
- Location: Greendale DO
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
Probably because the mail doesn't arrive until the next morning.Darren Bent wrote:I think we should do delivery first, then come back to office and throw out walk for next day. Why can't we do that :(
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12203
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
That's because they arrive at the MCs separate. MCs don't have the time, space or staff to be able to separate the recordeds from the normalsvillan wrote:If RM can separate out the Specials and Tracked they can do the same for Signed For.SpacePhoenix wrote:You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much timevillan wrote:I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.
Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.
Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
You wont ever go back to the old start times because all the night advancement has gone. Also the mail is now meched.
Would I go back to 5am, no not really. That would mean getting up at 3.40am again and after 18 years of doing that I am glad they went.
I do think in the very hot weather we could start a little earlier and advance the final mech to get out by 8am.
Would I go back to 5am, no not really. That would mean getting up at 3.40am again and after 18 years of doing that I am glad they went.
I do think in the very hot weather we could start a little earlier and advance the final mech to get out by 8am.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
Noticed that the last time I was off for a week, TNT were dropping any mail addressed to me before 9.30 am.
My RM post arrived 2.00pm or after.
Don't look good that, as my neighbour took great delight in telling me.
My RM post arrived 2.00pm or after.
Don't look good that, as my neighbour took great delight in telling me.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
Even more so if you have to wear a hi vis vest on top of the red polo shirt!Chelseablue wrote:Early starts summer,......should be mandatory . ,somebody will drop down dead in this searing heat,,delivering at the hottest time of day ,health and safety my a RSe . Also why don't Royal Mail introduce plain red cotton loose t shirts for the summer. The polos kill you in this heat . Cool bag for the drinks in van ,asking a lot I know . Lol
-
villan
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:27
- Gender: Male
Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES
That might be the case at the moment but RM could change its procedure for handling Signed For mail by keeping it separate right from when a customer pays for it in a Post Office or wherever. That's what currently happens with Specials so there's no reason why it can't also be done with Signed For. The Signed For mail would never even get mixed up with the normal mail and so no effort would be required to separate it out. This change simply requires the will to implement it.SpacePhoenix wrote:That's because they arrive at the MCs separate. MCs don't have the time, space or staff to be able to separate the recordeds from the normalsvillan wrote:If RM can separate out the Specials and Tracked they can do the same for Signed For.SpacePhoenix wrote:You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much timevillan wrote:I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.
Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.
Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.