ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by korky »

give me the early starts any day, searing heat is a killer, and if i hear another " reight wevver fo thy job eh" i'll lob my empty water bottle at them
villan
Posts: 79
Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:27
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by villan »

Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.

Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.

Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.

Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
borgpicard
Posts: 486
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by borgpicard »

totally agree
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12203
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by SpacePhoenix »

villan wrote:
Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.

Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.

Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.

Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much time
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12203
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by SpacePhoenix »

villan wrote:
Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.

Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.

Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.

Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much time
Chelseablue
Posts: 2227
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by Chelseablue »

Early starts summer,......should be mandatory . ,somebody will drop down dead in this searing heat,,delivering at the hottest time of day ,health and safety my a RSe . Also why don't Royal Mail introduce plain red cotton loose t shirts for the summer. The polos kill you in this heat . Cool bag for the drinks in van ,asking a lot I know . Lol
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by bustedflush »

Chelseablue wrote:Early starts summer,......should be mandatory . ,somebody will drop down dead in this searing heat,,delivering at the hottest time of day ,health and safety my a RSe . Also why don't Royal Mail introduce plain red cotton loose t shirts for the summer. The polos kill you in this heat . Cool bag for the drinks in van ,asking a lot I know . Lol
Look, dying isn't an option. Just get your delivery done, your lapsing and don't go over and ask DIM for OT - thats all there is to it. (as far as they are concerned.)
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by Darren Bent »

I think we should do delivery first, then come back to office and throw out walk for next day. Why can't we do that :(
villan
Posts: 79
Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:27
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by villan »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
villan wrote:
Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.

Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.

Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.

Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much time
If RM can separate out the Specials and Tracked they can do the same for Signed For.
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

Darren Bent wrote:I think we should do delivery first, then come back to office and throw out walk for next day. Why can't we do that :(
Probably because the mail doesn't arrive until the next morning.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12203
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by SpacePhoenix »

villan wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
villan wrote:
Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.

Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.

Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.

Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much time
If RM can separate out the Specials and Tracked they can do the same for Signed For.
That's because they arrive at the MCs separate. MCs don't have the time, space or staff to be able to separate the recordeds from the normals
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by krussel »

You wont ever go back to the old start times because all the night advancement has gone. Also the mail is now meched.

Would I go back to 5am, no not really. That would mean getting up at 3.40am again and after 18 years of doing that I am glad they went.

I do think in the very hot weather we could start a little earlier and advance the final mech to get out by 8am. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by DirtyHarry »

Noticed that the last time I was off for a week, TNT were dropping any mail addressed to me before 9.30 am.
My RM post arrived 2.00pm or after.
Don't look good that, as my neighbour took great delight in telling me.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by greengiant »

Chelseablue wrote:Early starts summer,......should be mandatory . ,somebody will drop down dead in this searing heat,,delivering at the hottest time of day ,health and safety my a RSe . Also why don't Royal Mail introduce plain red cotton loose t shirts for the summer. The polos kill you in this heat . Cool bag for the drinks in van ,asking a lot I know . Lol
Even more so if you have to wear a hi vis vest on top of the red polo shirt! :shock:
villan
Posts: 79
Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:27
Gender: Male

Re: BACK TO OLD START TIMES

Post by villan »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
villan wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
villan wrote:
Stammerking wrote:Prefer the 7.15 start means I get up with the rest of my family and I,m not to tired more social hours just Saturdays are the problem!
I prefer a later start too. Maybe that's because I'm more of a night owl so am clearly in the wrong job.

Let's be honest - most of what we deliver isn't wanted (I constantly get "more rubbish for me then postie?" and "that's going straight in the bin" from householders) so I can't see anyone worrying about not getting it before they go out to work. Back when letters were the main means of communication it made good business sense to deliver stuff at breakfast time, but not any more.

Perhaps we could introduce dedicated packet/signature duties running from, say, 7am to 8.30am? Non-packet/non-signature stuff would then go out as normal from whatever time it does now and we'd get around a lot quicker because 99.9% of the stuff could be posted through the letterboxes, no fuss, no messing around and no deliver to neighbour. And no time-wasting detours to meet 1pm special delivery deadlines either.

Dare I say it, but if normal duties didn't have any packets to deliver or signatures to obtain then they could be bigger but take no more time than at present.
You'd still have to separate the recordeds from the non recordeds, so it's doubtfull that you'd save very much time
If RM can separate out the Specials and Tracked they can do the same for Signed For.
That's because they arrive at the MCs separate. MCs don't have the time, space or staff to be able to separate the recordeds from the normals
That might be the case at the moment but RM could change its procedure for handling Signed For mail by keeping it separate right from when a customer pays for it in a Post Office or wherever. That's what currently happens with Specials so there's no reason why it can't also be done with Signed For. The Signed For mail would never even get mixed up with the normal mail and so no effort would be required to separate it out. This change simply requires the will to implement it.