ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Seniority is all wrong....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by comeracing »

tansorboy wrote:I think new starters should get their own rounds and the experienced, time-served people should be the floaters/reserves.
That way, we should all finish around the same time. People with 25plus years who can prep and deliver their rounds blind-folded have loads of time to spare, while recent starters struggle with both, but are reluctant to book overtime because of peer pressure, i.e.jeers from their senior "colleagues", which is a form of bullying.
yes I totally disagree with this comment ive been in this game approx. 18 years now ,for the first 4/5 years ,I was doing many different duties.then I got my own 31 1/2 hours per week ,then built up to 34 hours per week on another duty ,then up to 36 hours on another duty and 4 years ago FINALLY GOT TO FULL TIME 39 HOURS PER WEEK,so I started at the bottom and finally got a full time position 14 YES 14 YEARS AFTER STARTING WITH RM,
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by Bahia Feliz »

If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is :wave
Chelseablue
Posts: 2227
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by Chelseablue »

Some of you newish guys have got you're own duties pretty quickly,,some after just a cpl years . It took me 11 years and still on a not so great duty ,but it's my own.
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by tansorboy »

Bahia Feliz wrote:If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is :wave
You are probably one of those seniors who get a "historical allowance" for....Driving. That should have been taken away years ago or paid to everybody.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by dvbuk55 »

tansorboy wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is :wave
You are probably one of those seniors who get a "historical allowance" for....Driving. That should have been taken away years ago or paid to everybody.
According to you - but those in receipt of the driving allowance historically had grandfather rights on that allowance as part of an agreement - now if you'd been here then you'd get it, you wasn't so you don't.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by Bahia Feliz »

tansorboy wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is :wave
You are probably one of those seniors who get a "historical allowance" for....Driving. That should have been taken away years ago or paid to everybody.
As I said before,If you don't like it...
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by Bahia Feliz »

dvbuk55 wrote:
tansorboy wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is :wave
You are probably one of those seniors who get a "historical allowance" for....Driving. That should have been taken away years ago or paid to everybody.
According to you - but those in receipt of the driving allowance historically had grandfather rights on that allowance as part of an agreement - now if you'd been here then you'd get it, you wasn't so you don't.
:dance
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by tansorboy »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
tansorboy wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is :wave
You are probably one of those seniors who get a "historical allowance" for....Driving. That should have been taken away years ago or paid to everybody.
According to you - but those in receipt of the driving allowance historically had grandfather rights on that allowance as part of an agreement - now if you'd been here then you'd get it, you wasn't so you don't.
:dance
Of course you think you should keep it - that is human nature. It doesn't make it right, fair or justifiable.

I put the original idea up idea to provoke debate, and the replies have been pretty much as predicted....
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by Bahia Feliz »

I get £4 a week driving rights allowance some people get £6 but I'm not complaining.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by dvbuk55 »

tansorboy wrote:Of course you think you should keep it - that is human nature. It doesn't make it right, fair or justifiable.

I put the original idea up idea to provoke debate, and the replies have been pretty much as predicted....
Actually I don't get it, I have never driven for RM, except recently for a charity event, they didn't pay me :sad: However I digress - if there is an agreement to pay grandfather rights on a previous allowance then it should stand and the union would not try to negotiate out of it because as the old drivers leave then the allowance will die a natural death. Consider it the same as your mortgage it has a finite limit and so does this allowance - by the time you retire nobody will receive an allowance for driving.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by rhino49 »

I wouldn't worry too much about any of this - within five years there will be nothing to be jealous of, no rights to argue over and no one with more than five years continuous service ...... oh, and every duty will be a bad one.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by dvbuk55 »

rhino49 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about any of this - within five years there will be nothing to be jealous of, no rights to argue over and no one with more than five years continuous service ...... oh, and every duty will be a bad one.
And you'll probably be wearing an orange uniform and ending your words with a Dutch accent, just like McLaren did when managing that team when asked a question he responded "yesh" - he'd been there all of 5 minutes. Fear not though I believe the union glitterati are already taking Dutch lessons and learning to say pasty in Dutch - which I believe is "pashty" - lucky that really - "yesh and pashty" - life just gets better :cuppa
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by tansorboy »

rhino49 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about any of this - within five years there will be nothing to be jealous of, no rights to argue over and no one with more than five years continuous service ...... oh, and every duty will be a bad one.
Three years max, I reckon. I will be leaving by the door held open by my good friend Bahia Feliz....
genesis
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 May 2007, 21:04

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by genesis »

rhino49 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about any of this - within five years there will be nothing to be jealous of, no rights to argue over and no one with more than five years continuous service ...... oh, and every duty will be a bad one.
Ive come to the same conclusion, in our large city office there has not been a full office repick for 10 years ,with all the revisions its pot luck what you duty is like,resulting in junior men having some of the easier rounds (if there is such a thing)and therefore taking the mick out of older men who have harder ones .
I fact my round with the same duty number on as when i signed for it, does not have one delivery point left from the original walk.And wouldI have chosen this one one originally with my seniority and the answer would be no.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Seniority is all wrong....

Post by rhino49 »

I've had my walk, or at least a core of about 20 delivery points on it for approximately 14 years and around that core the other delivery points have moved backwards and forwards over the years. The walk has never got smaller although the time to deliver has never been acknowledged as increasing. Now that mail is falling (and I have to admit it is here, partly due to inroads by TNT) the walk would be a lot faster done by cycle again due to the number of gaps we have on some days. However, as I do the loops with my trusty trolley, there is little or no saving as I walk the long way round everything, much to the annoyance of some (but not all) managers who think less mail equals faster deliveries, They don't !!! Falling volumes might get you out of the office faster but that also fails as a concept because there are so few staff (with seniority and experience) on the IPS each day.
Over the years I have noticed that RM never takes a cool, thoughtful attitude to problems - it always panics, and this will get worse with privatisation because when we changed our business status, we should also have swept away and changed our board and management to people who were equipped to deal with responsibility instead of blaming it on everyone else.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile