yes I totally disagree with this comment ive been in this game approx. 18 years now ,for the first 4/5 years ,I was doing many different duties.then I got my own 31 1/2 hours per week ,then built up to 34 hours per week on another duty ,then up to 36 hours on another duty and 4 years ago FINALLY GOT TO FULL TIME 39 HOURS PER WEEK,so I started at the bottom and finally got a full time position 14 YES 14 YEARS AFTER STARTING WITH RM,tansorboy wrote:I think new starters should get their own rounds and the experienced, time-served people should be the floaters/reserves.
That way, we should all finish around the same time. People with 25plus years who can prep and deliver their rounds blind-folded have loads of time to spare, while recent starters struggle with both, but are reluctant to book overtime because of peer pressure, i.e.jeers from their senior "colleagues", which is a form of bullying.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Seniority is all wrong....
-
comeracing
- Posts: 806
- Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is 
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2227
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
Some of you newish guys have got you're own duties pretty quickly,,some after just a cpl years . It took me 11 years and still on a not so great duty ,but it's my own.
-
tansorboy
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
You are probably one of those seniors who get a "historical allowance" for....Driving. That should have been taken away years ago or paid to everybody.Bahia Feliz wrote:If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
According to you - but those in receipt of the driving allowance historically had grandfather rights on that allowance as part of an agreement - now if you'd been here then you'd get it, you wasn't so you don't.tansorboy wrote:You are probably one of those seniors who get a "historical allowance" for....Driving. That should have been taken away years ago or paid to everybody.Bahia Feliz wrote:If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
As I said before,If you don't like it...tansorboy wrote:You are probably one of those seniors who get a "historical allowance" for....Driving. That should have been taken away years ago or paid to everybody.Bahia Feliz wrote:If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
dvbuk55 wrote:According to you - but those in receipt of the driving allowance historically had grandfather rights on that allowance as part of an agreement - now if you'd been here then you'd get it, you wasn't so you don't.tansorboy wrote:You are probably one of those seniors who get a "historical allowance" for....Driving. That should have been taken away years ago or paid to everybody.Bahia Feliz wrote:If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is
-
tansorboy
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
Of course you think you should keep it - that is human nature. It doesn't make it right, fair or justifiable.Bahia Feliz wrote:dvbuk55 wrote:According to you - but those in receipt of the driving allowance historically had grandfather rights on that allowance as part of an agreement - now if you'd been here then you'd get it, you wasn't so you don't.tansorboy wrote:You are probably one of those seniors who get a "historical allowance" for....Driving. That should have been taken away years ago or paid to everybody.Bahia Feliz wrote:If any junior men don't like seniority you know where the door is
I put the original idea up idea to provoke debate, and the replies have been pretty much as predicted....
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
I get £4 a week driving rights allowance some people get £6 but I'm not complaining.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
Actually I don't get it, I have never driven for RM, except recently for a charity event, they didn't pay metansorboy wrote:Of course you think you should keep it - that is human nature. It doesn't make it right, fair or justifiable.
I put the original idea up idea to provoke debate, and the replies have been pretty much as predicted....
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
I wouldn't worry too much about any of this - within five years there will be nothing to be jealous of, no rights to argue over and no one with more than five years continuous service ...... oh, and every duty will be a bad one.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
And you'll probably be wearing an orange uniform and ending your words with a Dutch accent, just like McLaren did when managing that team when asked a question he responded "yesh" - he'd been there all of 5 minutes. Fear not though I believe the union glitterati are already taking Dutch lessons and learning to say pasty in Dutch - which I believe is "pashty" - lucky that really - "yesh and pashty" - life just gets betterrhino49 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about any of this - within five years there will be nothing to be jealous of, no rights to argue over and no one with more than five years continuous service ...... oh, and every duty will be a bad one.
-
tansorboy
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
Three years max, I reckon. I will be leaving by the door held open by my good friend Bahia Feliz....rhino49 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about any of this - within five years there will be nothing to be jealous of, no rights to argue over and no one with more than five years continuous service ...... oh, and every duty will be a bad one.
-
genesis
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 29 May 2007, 21:04
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
Ive come to the same conclusion, in our large city office there has not been a full office repick for 10 years ,with all the revisions its pot luck what you duty is like,resulting in junior men having some of the easier rounds (if there is such a thing)and therefore taking the mick out of older men who have harder ones .rhino49 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about any of this - within five years there will be nothing to be jealous of, no rights to argue over and no one with more than five years continuous service ...... oh, and every duty will be a bad one.
I fact my round with the same duty number on as when i signed for it, does not have one delivery point left from the original walk.And wouldI have chosen this one one originally with my seniority and the answer would be no.
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Seniority is all wrong....
I've had my walk, or at least a core of about 20 delivery points on it for approximately 14 years and around that core the other delivery points have moved backwards and forwards over the years. The walk has never got smaller although the time to deliver has never been acknowledged as increasing. Now that mail is falling (and I have to admit it is here, partly due to inroads by TNT) the walk would be a lot faster done by cycle again due to the number of gaps we have on some days. However, as I do the loops with my trusty trolley, there is little or no saving as I walk the long way round everything, much to the annoyance of some (but not all) managers who think less mail equals faster deliveries, They don't !!! Falling volumes might get you out of the office faster but that also fails as a concept because there are so few staff (with seniority and experience) on the IPS each day.
Over the years I have noticed that RM never takes a cool, thoughtful attitude to problems - it always panics, and this will get worse with privatisation because when we changed our business status, we should also have swept away and changed our board and management to people who were equipped to deal with responsibility instead of blaming it on everyone else.
Over the years I have noticed that RM never takes a cool, thoughtful attitude to problems - it always panics, and this will get worse with privatisation because when we changed our business status, we should also have swept away and changed our board and management to people who were equipped to deal with responsibility instead of blaming it on everyone else.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile