ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by halfull »

off work this week thank god, id rather deliver in freezing frosty conditions than this heat :cuppa
joeyuk
Posts: 93
Joined: 10 Jul 2013, 13:24
Gender: Male

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by joeyuk »

Last two days have been tough. They have cut morning OT so now have to pick up OT and work my rest day to make my money up. Done a extra half round wed/thurs and its been a killer, my partner was dead on his feet towards the end today. Defo no OT friday or saturday. We normally finish about 30mins early on Friday so can take it easy tomorrow and have rest between loops.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2227
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by Chelseablue »

Say you're not delivering due to health and safety aspect
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by bustedflush »

Laugh? I almost sh@t!! We had the DIM on the tannoy today telling us to stay in the shade when we can, take plenty of water and take breaks etc. Some smart-ass then went up to him and said "Great, an early finish as I only have to deliver half my round that's in the shade!" I simply said that as my round is mainly E-W in aspect, I'd be delivering none of it. I then told the lino that it must be hot and steamy round the coffee machine too. What BS.
mlw
Posts: 182
Joined: 12 Sep 2013, 21:32
Gender: Male

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by mlw »

bustedflush wrote:Laugh? I almost sh@t!! We had the DIM on the tannoy today telling us to stay in the shade when we can, take plenty of water and take breaks etc. Some smart-ass then went up to him and said "Great, an early finish as I only have to deliver half my round that's in the shade!" I simply said that as my round is mainly E-W in aspect, I'd be delivering none of it. I then told the lino that it must be hot and steamy round the coffee machine too. What BS.
Why cant we start early in summer and finish by 1130 i mean all the mail is in our office at about 5 yet ft done start until 7 its a joke its like they just want to piss people off, i asked dom if we can start early he just says no thats the way it is now, i thought the union agreed with management to make this job more family friendly yet i wont finish to nearly 3 tomorrow as usual!
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by 5plusbonusball »

Our linos were off to the pub again today, in the shade, then back to the office when we got back, however still they finish at 10 saturdays, needs monitoring - they're taking the proverbial. :thumbdown
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by bustedflush »

5plusbonusball wrote:Our linos were off to the pub again today, in the shade, then back to the office when we got back, however still they finish at 10 saturdays, needs monitoring - they're taking the proverbial. :thumbdown
Only once have I seen the full complement of DIM/linos in the office when I got back on a Saturday, that was only because of a ridiculously early 1130 finish and 1140 return to office. They obviously have an 'agreement' where each Saturday one will stay until 1pm and the rest all p!ss-off early. Half their job is usually done by those on 'light duties' anyway.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by Barbel »

bustedflush wrote:I got through a 2-litre bottle of melting ice today, still never needed a p!ss when I got back to the office, and when I did one just now it was very dark.
You MUST take adequate water out, it could save your life. Knock on a door if you run out and get the parcel recipient to refill your bottle.
We had a terrible heavy day today, 29c and it was either rush to get it done or have argument with the DIM about summer lapsing.
That happened to me today too. Had a 2 litre bottle of melted iced water and have only just had a p1ss which was also dark, I've only had 2 p1sses all day! Also got a splitting headache and feel generally jank.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by clashcityrocker »

Perhaps Teebs could provide a separate forum for those who feel the need to detail the volume and colour of their urine.
Maybe he could make it a sticky?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by bustedflush »

clashcityrocker wrote:Perhaps Teebs could provide a separate forum for those who feel the need to detail the volume and colour of their urine.
Maybe he could make it a sticky?
There was no volume mentioned, just approximate time and frequency of said bladder movements. However, a shade chart from v. light yellow (pub-p!ss after 4th. pint onwards) to dark brown (nearly fatally dehydrated) at the top of the thread would help immensely as it would spare description. We could simply move our cursor over the appropriate colour to report our particular state of dehydration after summer lapsing and daily workload. Should anybody collapse, their partner can inform the paramedics so that a sample can be taken in hospital (after they've peeled the high-vis off the poor sod's sweaty back) and posted later on their behalf.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by 19times »

mlw wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Laugh? I almost sh@t!! We had the DIM on the tannoy today telling us to stay in the shade when we can, take plenty of water and take breaks etc. Some smart-ass then went up to him and said "Great, an early finish as I only have to deliver half my round that's in the shade!" I simply said that as my round is mainly E-W in aspect, I'd be delivering none of it. I then told the lino that it must be hot and steamy round the coffee machine too. What BS.
Why cant we start early in summer and finish by 1130 i mean all the mail is in our office at about 5 yet ft done start until 7 its a joke its like they just want to piss people off, i asked dom if we can start early he just says no thats the way it is now, i thought the union agreed with management to make this job more family friendly yet i wont finish to nearly 3 tomorrow as usual!
I'd look into this if I were you because we are having a meeting regards this tomorrow and the word is we will be asked if we'd like to start earlier.

It's a no Brainer really, catch more people in earlier, better morale and avoid the hotter part of the day, what's not to like. :Applause
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

bustedflush wrote: However, a shade chart from v. light yellow (pub-p!ss after 4th. pint onwards) to dark brown (nearly fatally dehydrated
Image

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by bustedflush »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
bustedflush wrote: However, a shade chart from v. light yellow (pub-p!ss after 4th. pint onwards) to dark brown (nearly fatally dehydrated
Image

Image


Thanks...lol...

Today I was at number 7 easily, and that was after drinking 2 litres of melting ice-water. My back was wet with sweat, and yes I had to take that bloody tabard off I couldn't take the thing stopping my shirt from cooling my back any longer. I also developed a headache and lethargy towards the end of the walk. And it's Wednesday tomorrow, double-lapsing, more calls and packets plus another degree or two hotter. I can't wait.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2227
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by Chelseablue »

I felt dizzy ,and light headed
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Very warm thu-fri ,weather warning

Post by Barbel »

halfull wrote:off work this week thank god, id rather deliver in freezing frosty conditions than this heat :cuppa
Same here! Don't get me wrong, I love the heat but not when I have to work in it.