ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Ill Health Retirement.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mudpie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 25
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 10:37
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by mudpie »

Not heard anything yet, but I am in Norfolk at the moment and live in Cornwall!!
thechemisyshop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 156
Joined: 09 Oct 2011, 20:33
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by thechemisyshop »

i think it was about 4 weeks after i left,, they send you a letter asking what you want to do.,, i took the cash as i need it for a new business startup
peppapig
Posts: 61
Joined: 05 Sep 2009, 19:07
Gender: Female

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by peppapig »

im 34, 18 years service, been offered ihr package, but was wondering what will happen with my pension? anyone know, the pensions website is like a foreign language to me :crazy:
thechemisyshop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 156
Joined: 09 Oct 2011, 20:33
Gender: Male

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by thechemisyshop »

pension gets deferred till retirement age
peppapig
Posts: 61
Joined: 05 Sep 2009, 19:07
Gender: Female

Re: Ill Health Retirement.

Post by peppapig »

thechemisyshop wrote:pension gets deferred till retirement age
Thankyou :-)
spennycfc
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 Jan 2018, 16:09
Gender: Male

Ill Health Retirement.

Post by spennycfc »

bit confused!!! ill health retirement, is this basically a years pay? all this 34 wks and 9 wks in liue?
michris
Posts: 41
Joined: 06 Feb 2008, 18:36
Gender: Male
Location: where wife cant find me

Ill Health Retirement.

Post by michris »

can anyone help with this query please

if I get IHR with full pension as I'm not able to work again, does that mean I leave just with my full 65 pension as I'm already taking my 60 pension
meaning I don't get any of the 34 week payment or pillion
as I'm within 2 years of retiring anyway it would mean I would lose nearly 20 grand
thanks in advance for help
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6702
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Ill Health Retirement.

Post by RobertT »

michris wrote:can anyone help with this query please

if I get IHR with full pension as I'm not able to work again, does that mean I leave just with my full 65 pension as I'm already taking my 60 pension
That’s the way I understand it.
meaning I don't get any of the 34 week payment or pillion
It’s either 34 weeks pay plus PILON or your pension, which you may or may not choose to take a lump sum from.
as I'm within 2 years of retiring anyway it would mean I would lose nearly 20 grand
thanks in advance for help
You wouldn’t lose it, you just wouldn’t get it.

There’s been quite a few leave my office on IHR over the last few years and they’ve all been given the lump sum, so i think in practice 'IHR with pension' is probably quite rare. Although it obviously depends on your condition and the doctors opinion to a large degree.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
michris
Posts: 41
Joined: 06 Feb 2008, 18:36
Gender: Male
Location: where wife cant find me

Ill Health Retirement.

Post by michris »

thank you ROBERT T
I suppose I can push for IHR plus pillion
then take my 65 pension after
is that possible ?
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6702
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Ill Health Retirement.

Post by RobertT »

michris wrote:thank you ROBERT T
I suppose I can push for IHR plus pillion
then take my 65 pension after
is that possible ?
Getting ‘IHR with lump sum’ is effectively the same as resigning as far as your pension is concerned. So it will be deferred until you take it.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
michris
Posts: 41
Joined: 06 Feb 2008, 18:36
Gender: Male
Location: where wife cant find me

Ill Health Retirement.

Post by michris »

sorry for being a pain
I'm still a bit confused about the IHR part of the new agreement

at present option1)is IHR with immediate pension if you are unable to work again

or option2)IHR lump sum + pillion if you are unable to do your duty and royal mail are not able to find you an alternative job.
with this option you would be able to find another job immediately with somebody else

the new agreement gives you 50%pensionable pay for 3 years less benefits
if you were able find work somewhere else after taking IHR under the new agreement you would not be getting any benefits as you would be working
how would this work and what would you get
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6702
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Ill Health Retirement.

Post by RobertT »

michris wrote:sorry for being a pain
I'm still a bit confused about the IHR part of the new agreement

at present option1)is IHR with immediate pension if you are unable to work again

or option2)IHR lump sum + pillion if you are unable to do your duty and royal mail are not able to find you an alternative job.
with this option you would be able to find another job immediately with somebody else

the new agreement gives you 50%pensionable pay for 3 years less benefits
if you were able find work somewhere else after taking IHR under the new agreement you would not be getting any benefits as you would be working
It also gives a lump sum payment after the 3 years and payment of your accrued pension benefits.

It isn’t clear what they mean by state benefits. It could be Job Seekers Allowance, Statutory Sick Pay, Statutory Redundancy Pay or maybe a few other things.
how would this work and what would you get
At the moment we only really know the vague info we’ve been given, so I for one can’t answer that with any degree of certainty. Presumably we’ll find out when the agreement is voted in, assuming it is!
Links to all RM pension related websites are here