ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Gold Fox
Posts: 313
Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
Gender: Female

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by Gold Fox »

I am on different walks, more or less, every day ... and I missdelivered ALL the time .... I just turn blind eye ...and ignore it ...and many time deny it.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by krussel »

wacko74 wrote:
krussel wrote:Sometimes your damned if you do and damned if you don't. :hmmmm

You just hope that the people who receive the wrong mail are at least half human and have some degree of understanding.
Very unlikely! Most of the time they complain insisting that it has happened ''dozens of times''

Yes sadly your right. Then they open it and re seal with tape before plastering it with felt pen before finally shoving it back into a post box when it was actually meant for next door.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by wabbithunta »

krussel wrote:
wacko74 wrote:
krussel wrote:Sometimes your damned if you do and damned if you don't. :hmmmm

You just hope that the people who receive the wrong mail are at least half human and have some degree of understanding.
Very unlikely! Most of the time they complain insisting that it has happened ''dozens of times''

Yes sadly your right. Then they open it and re seal with tape before plastering it with felt pen before finally shoving it back into a post box when it was actually meant for next door.
And also don't forget they have it all folded up/creased and carried around for a few days, as it always looks a right mess when you get it back, as well as being covered in greasy stains, and having phone numbers etc on it, before sticking it back in the post.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by BeamishStout »

norm wrote:Anyway upon realising mistake I knocked on the houses none answered, so tore 739 in half, crossed out 'something for you' put 'apologies' above and wrote in address box the mistake.
In the absence of the P6543 cards that are like gold dust in our office (as bad as getting hold of redirection/damaged item bags) this is probably the approach I shall take whenever I forget to take out my Basildon Bond stationery kit with me!!! :funneh
framusjsx
Posts: 88
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 16:53
Gender: Male

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by framusjsx »

I use a 739 after knocking if there is no answer.

It always baffles me how for example if number 1 gets mail for number 2 its a HUGE chore for them to walk 10 feet to the next house and pop it in. Ive had someone chase me a good 5/600 metres down the road with a wrong letter to tell me I delivered it wrong - they walked past the house it was for on the way to see me and on the way back..
villan
Posts: 79
Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:27
Gender: Male

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by villan »

framusjsx wrote:I use a 739 after knocking if there is no answer.

It always baffles me how for example if number 1 gets mail for number 2 its a HUGE chore for them to walk 10 feet to the next house and pop it in. Ive had someone chase me a good 5/600 metres down the road with a wrong letter to tell me I delivered it wrong - they walked past the house it was for on the way to see me and on the way back..
Following a day off I had someone open their front door just as I arrived at it. It was a lady vicar, no less. She handed me a letter which had been misdelivered and was for her neighbour, whose letterbox was literally no more than 4 feet away.

I assume she did it to make a point, not because it was too much effort for her to deliver it herself.

I can't think why she didn't get God to deliver it for her :chuckle
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by deristrong »

villan wrote:
framusjsx wrote:I use a 739 after knocking if there is no answer.

It always baffles me how for example if number 1 gets mail for number 2 its a HUGE chore for them to walk 10 feet to the next house and pop it in. Ive had someone chase me a good 5/600 metres down the road with a wrong letter to tell me I delivered it wrong - they walked past the house it was for on the way to see me and on the way back..
Following a day off I had someone open their front door just as I arrived at it. It was a lady vicar, no less. She handed me a letter which had been misdelivered and was for her neighbour, whose letterbox was literally no more than 4 feet away.

I assume she did it to make a point, not because it was too much effort for her to deliver it herself.

I can't think why she didn't get God to deliver it for her :chuckle
God's day off?
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by CharlesSpooner »

I'll knock on and ask for it back. If there's no answer I'll forget about it. Accidents happen.

Had one a few weeks ago where a tool of a lino in our office came round to my frame bleating about a misdelivery. I told him I couldn't remember a misdelivery on the date he said and he carried on ranting about "counselling" and so forth. He was positively relishing it and to be honest it seemed like fun so I went along with it. Following morning he calls me into the office and starts telling me how serious it is and I interrupt ask him for the address again.

"Oh sorry - that's on my walk but it's not one of my loops. J**** delivered that"

Now J**** is one of the golden boys who loves to come in early, run around and grumble about me taking breaks and using trollies. And the week of the misdelivery he was covering my regular P&L partner. I politely offered to call J**** in to take my place for the counselling session but my offer was refused. :chuckle

Not sure if J**** ever got his counselling in the end. Ho-hum.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by greengiant »

And those times you just deliver some mail through the letter box, when you then spy a mail box on the wall.... :whistle :shhhhh
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by wabbithunta »

greengiant wrote:And those times you just deliver some mail through the letter box, when you then spy a mail box on the wall.... :whistle :shhhhh

And then it's jammed up with mail and freebie newspapers that have been left in it for over a week, as they can't be arsed to empty it! :arrrghhh
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by datasaint »

greengiant wrote:And those times you just deliver some mail through the letter box, when you then spy a mail box on the wall.... :whistle :shhhhh
Lol I had some scrote come out and berate me for posting mail through the letterbox because I missed the faded scribbled sign on the door saying place mail under the doormat .. :cuppa
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: How do you handle a known mis-delivery?

Post by wabbithunta »

norm wrote:
greengiant wrote:And those times you just deliver some mail through the letter box, when you then spy a mail box on the wall.... :whistle :shhhhh
Lol I had some scrote come out and berate me for posting mail through the letterbox because I missed the faded scribbled sign on the door saying place mail under the doormat .. :cuppa

Well that must've been his safe-spot then! lol
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"