ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

seniority

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
2ndclasspostie
Posts: 13
Joined: 16 Jul 2013, 19:32
Gender: Female

Re: seniority

Post by 2ndclasspostie »

wabbithunta wrote:
ebbzie wrote:Question 2 - Did you fail your English exam?

"What's an exam?" :whistle :cuppa[/
something you do not need to work for royalmail ;-)
2ndclasspostie
Posts: 13
Joined: 16 Jul 2013, 19:32
Gender: Female

Re: seniority

Post by 2ndclasspostie »

oh my lord........
i was told by a colleague that this site was helpful i some what think not just blind comments really thought i would get some help well guess i NOT, total waste of time.
may i also apologize for not using words of more than two syllables only i was in a bit of a hurry at the time i wrote it....
1 other thing i am a miss not a mr . Thank you.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: seniority

Post by clashcityrocker »

2ndclasspostie wrote: Thank you.
You're welcome.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: seniority

Post by wabbithunta »

Well you can always go back to your office and rant away at your fellow workers. No doubt you've already done that and you got similar responses from them just like to your grammatically awful dire rant on this site here too.

Maybe you
dun just about every job duty woteva u wana call it wot eva i was asked i done it ov 13yr n yet u get sum 1 else who knows nowt but 1 duty n been there 18mth longer

and that the person who they "chose over you" was more suited to the job? After all you may not know it but they may think you a more "valuable commodity" as you've covered more duties and RM just want someone who
dun just about every job duty woteva u wana call it wot eva i was asked i done it ov 13yr
Then again, maybe it could be your attitude, and your poor use of English, I'm just going by your use of grammar, or rather the lack of it on your OP on here. Or were you just trying to be humourous as well as sarcastic and annoyed/angry about what's happened and wanted somewhere to flame away to your hearts content?

Either way people have responded, it may not have been to your satisfaction but it has lead to a discussion about the issue and that's what people do on here, it may veer of track sometimes but it still gets responses.

TBT even stated the same about your OP too
Re: seniority
Post by TrueBlueTerrier » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:04,pm

..... Of course he has missed the obvious point that if managers were able to select people to fill vacancies on nearly anything except seniority then he wouldn't have been selected anyway. After all its far cheaper and easier to keep an experienced reserve in post than train a new one from scratch.
with the exception of stating that you were a male.. for which he was corrected on, as were others too, your post got responses, and valid ones relating to your "rant".
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: seniority

Post by Bahia Feliz »

korky wrote:O/P does seem like he's had a few pops but i'm a p/t postie of 9 years and a few jobs came up recently to be f/t but i MUST give up my duty that took 7 years to get!
So you would rather stay p/t then?
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: seniority

Post by wabbithunta »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
korky wrote:O/P does seem like he's had a few pops but i'm a p/t postie of 9 years and a few jobs came up recently to be f/t but i MUST give up my duty that took 7 years to get!
So you would rather stay p/t then?
Staying P/T over F/T?
He/she [No gender given.. so we must be very careful as this might upset him/her if this person is defined by the incorrect gender in a response] must have a job elsewhere that helps make his/her overall wages worth more than what he/she gets at RM...?
He/she must love his/her P/T job and deliveries then... :whistle
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
Zootsuit
Posts: 92
Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 19:49
Gender: Male

Re: seniority

Post by Zootsuit »

Second Class Postie said:
2ndclasspostie wrote:duzn't seniority just bloody stink royalmial so far back in the dark ages with this one. its unreal ... dun just about every job duty woteva u wana call it wot eva i was asked i done it ov 13yr n yet u get sum 1 else who knows nowt but 1 duty n been there 18mth longer n get the chance of full time gggggggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr seriously that cant be right ha'way man Moya Greene get it sorted move with the times for gords sake end ov rant........
First Class Postie would have said:

I say, doesn't one think that Royal Mail is rather outmoded in its use of seniority? I can hardly believe it, I have undertaken almost every duty I have been asked to do over a period of 13 years, exhibited the utmost in flexibility and co-operation come what may. To my displeasure a person who appears to know nothing at all apart from one duty (and has only been there a year and a half longer than I), has been given the chance to commit to the terms of a full time contract. I am jolly annoyed and cannot possibly see how this can be correct. I would respectfully request my Chief Executive Officer to address this issue in accordance with the latest thinking on employment legislation for the sake of the good lord and my own ambitions. Thank you for letting me express my opinion.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: seniority

Post by NewPostieUK »

Thank you for the translation. I'm baffled, no not by the opening post (although all I understood was 'howay' and even that was spelled wrong), but by the assumption that seniority should somehow not count when someone else has covered more duties. I see that as totally irrelevant. Someone who has been employed for ten years is more senior than someone who has been employed seven years, regardless as to what they did during those years. They have been waiting longer for the full time position, it's not their fault the manager bullied the newbie into doing more duties.

Seniority works. I'm near the bottom of the list, and it's taken me six years to get my own duty, but I like the fact that I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I can see who has been made full time, and who will be made full time before me, and who will have to wait until I'm offered full time hours before they are.
Zootsuit
Posts: 92
Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 19:49
Gender: Male

Re: seniority

Post by Zootsuit »

NewPostieUK wrote:Thank you for the translation. I'm baffled, no not by the opening post (although all I understood was 'howay' and even that was spelled wrong), but by the assumption that seniority should somehow not count when someone else has covered more duties. I see that as totally irrelevant. Someone who has been employed for ten years is more senior than someone who has been employed seven years, regardless as to what they did during those years. They have been waiting longer for the full time position, it's not their fault the manager bullied the newbie into doing more duties.

Seniority works. I'm near the bottom of the list, and it's taken me six years to get my own duty, but I like the fact that I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I can see who has been made full time, and who will be made full time before me, and who will have to wait until I'm offered full time hours before they are.
:Applause
Well said NewPostie. I have to say that I didn't really understand the seniority bit when I first arrived having come from a background where people were promoted on ability based on a system of appraisal. That worked because there where line managers with the competency to properly appraise people in an objective way without bias towards family, friends or whatever, they were trained to do it in a professional manner and were, themselves, assessed on their performance.
The need to have properly trained, professional managers meant it didn't take me long to realise that the only way to allow people to advance as posties is seniority. It does work, and I couldn't be much closer to the bottom of the list.
neo76
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: seniority

Post by neo76 »

Hi there posties, I have a question on seniority, any help would be much appreciated.

I am currently a fulltime reserve (10 years service, displaced by revision 2 years ago). A vacancy on a full time shared van round has become available and we were asked to put our applications in writing and there was a two week window for this, three weeks later it looks like I didn't get it because someone senior to me also applied.

Fair enough, however the only senior postman who applied is on a part time contract, I was always led to believe that a full time duty would go down the full time list first and if no one took It then it would be passed on to the part timers.

Talking to my DOM is a waste of time.

Where do I stand?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: seniority

Post by clashcityrocker »

neo76 wrote:
Where do I stand?
Seniority is based on length of service and not on type of contract.
If s/he has longer service s/he is more senior, even if s/he is p/t.

So unless you have a local agreement which stipulates f/t over p/t (you shouldn't have, but it seems anything goes nowadays) then the other postie gets the duty.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
neo76
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: seniority

Post by neo76 »

clashcityrocker wrote:
neo76 wrote:
Where do I stand?
Seniority is based on length of service and not on type of contract.
If s/he has longer service s/he is more senior, even if s/he is p/t.

So unless you have a local agreement which stipulates f/t over p/t (you shouldn't have, but it seems anything goes nowadays) then the other postie gets the duty.
What about if he transferred to another office for a couple of years and then returned? Thanks again.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: seniority

Post by clashcityrocker »

If there was no break in service, there was no break in seniority.
You take your seniority around with you.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: seniority

Post by k979aaa »

Seniority everyday for me better than the brown nose brigade everyday.
venger
Posts: 206
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 13:38

Re: seniority

Post by venger »

I've worked for the company over 17 years. I DESERVE what I get.