ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Trollies (Again)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
motch
Posts: 332
Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by motch »

Postaltony wrote:Duties I have done are planned at 4-4:20hrs with LWT'S. In practice they are more like 5-6hrs when done correctly with the mandatory LWT'S. My manager has said "well the regular people can complete in the duty time, only a problem when your on the duty". I obviously reply with facts.
1. I use LWT'S
2. Regular duty holders do not.
3. I have my meal relief
4. Regular duty holders do not.
5. I work my officially contracted hours
6. You the manager refuse to enforce use of mandatory LWT'S.
7. If you were monitoring usage of lwt's most of the office would have been counselled or conducted.
Manager then just blames my prep, knowing full well I've passed numerous agreed 1 min prep tests.

So my question is why are posties fire fighting daily and CWU doing f**k all about it. They agreed the use of LWT'S they should be ensuring that the agreement is being adhered to.
100% the same here and for me at times. most posties are their own worst enemy.. :arrrghhh
billy44
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 09:12
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by billy44 »

Used one of the big trollies today and have to say I hated it.
Normally use a bag but using the trolley really slowed me down.
hantsman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 876
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by hantsman »

billy44 wrote:Used one of the big trollies today and have to say I hated it.
Normally use a bag but using the trolley really slowed me down.

Work your paid hours, its not rocket science.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3231
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Acca Dacca »

Postaltony wrote:Duties I have done are planned at 4-4:20hrs with LWT'S. In practice they are more like 5-6hrs when done correctly with the mandatory LWT'S. My manager has said "well the regular people can complete in the duty time, only a problem when your on the duty". I obviously reply with facts.
1. I use LWT'S
2. Regular duty holders do not.
3. I have my meal relief
4. Regular duty holders do not.
5. I work my officially contracted hours
6. You the manager refuse to enforce use of mandatory LWT'S.
7. If you were monitoring usage of lwt's most of the office would have been counselled or conducted.
Manager then just blames my prep, knowing full well I've passed numerous agreed 1 min prep tests.

So my question is why are posties fire fighting daily and CWU doing f**k all about it. They agreed the use of LWT'S they should be ensuring that the agreement is being adhered to.
Aint that the truth
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Lincox »

hantsman wrote:
billy44 wrote:Used one of the big trollies today and have to say I hated it.
Normally use a bag but using the trolley really slowed me down.

Work your paid hours, its not rocket science.
With all due respect, working your paid hours pulling/pushing a trolley around five days a week does not resolve the problem of fatigue and future musculoskeletal problems.
hantsman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 876
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by hantsman »

Lincox wrote:
hantsman wrote:
billy44 wrote:Used one of the big trollies today and have to say I hated it.
Normally use a bag but using the trolley really slowed me down.

Work your paid hours, its not rocket science.
With all due respect, working your paid hours pulling/pushing a trolley around five days a week does not resolve the problem of fatigue and future musculoskeletal problems.

So is it bag on your shoulder then?
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Lincox »

hantsman wrote:
Lincox wrote:
hantsman wrote:
billy44 wrote:Used one of the big trollies today and have to say I hated it.
Normally use a bag but using the trolley really slowed me down.

Work your paid hours, its not rocket science.
With all due respect, working your paid hours pulling/pushing a trolley around five days a week does not resolve the problem of fatigue and future musculoskeletal problems.

So is it bag on your shoulder then?
No, what it should be/should have been is/was a properly conducted investigation into a delivery system that replaced the current set of cycles, produced a comparative or better reduction in stress on the whole of the musculoskeletor frame, provided the ability to carry more parcels/packets whilst retaining a maximum 3.5 hour delivery timespan.
The system is out there but Royal Mail and CWU chose a system that has increased delivery span, created more stresses on the body, is expensive, is a bigger danger to the membership and the public, and has created a deteriorating service.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by clashcityrocker »

Lincox wrote: whilst retaining a maximum 3.5 hour delivery timespan.
The system is out there but Royal Mail and CWU chose a system that has increased delivery span, created more stresses on the body, is expensive, is a bigger danger to the membership and the public, and has created a deteriorating service.
The increase in the delivery span has more to do with the introduction of automation and little to do with the introduction of new delivery methods.
We could stick to a 3hr 30 delivery span by abandoning any notion of saving full time employment.

And let's not forget that very few of us ever used cycles.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Lincox »

Then we have to ask the question, is full time work more preferable at the expense of physical problems which in the long term may prevent our members being able to work at all.
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Brain Fury »

Lincox wrote:Then we have to ask the question, is full time work more preferable at the expense of physical problems which in the long term may prevent our members being able to work at all.
That's a fair question. Problem is that the CWU made clear it's opposition to an increase in part-time jobs a long time ago. I suspect it has it's own reasons not necessarily linked to the well being of it's members.
billy44
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 09:12
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by billy44 »

hantsman wrote:
billy44 wrote:Used one of the big trollies today and have to say I hated it.
Normally use a bag but using the trolley really slowed me down.

Work your paid hours, its not rocket science.
Was on overtime and call me old fashioned but I like to deliver all my mail that's given to me,not like I am not getting paid for it.
hantsman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 876
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by hantsman »

Brain Fury wrote:
Lincox wrote:Then we have to ask the question, is full time work more preferable at the expense of physical problems which in the long term may prevent our members being able to work at all.
That's a fair question. Problem is that the CWU made clear it's opposition to an increase in part-time jobs a long time ago. I suspect it has it's own reasons not necessarily linked to the well being of it's members.
billy44 wrote:
hantsman wrote:
billy44 wrote:Used one of the big trollies today and have to say I hated it.
Normally use a bag but using the trolley really slowed me down.

Work your paid hours, its not rocket science.
Was on overtime and call me old fashioned but I like to deliver all my mail that's given to me,not like I am not getting paid for it.

RM must love you.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by daveyeff »

Brain Fury wrote:
Lincox wrote:Then we have to ask the question, is full time work more preferable at the expense of physical problems which in the long term may prevent our members being able to work at all.
That's a fair question. Problem is that the CWU made clear it's opposition to an increase in part-time jobs a long time ago. I suspect it has it's own reasons not necessarily linked to the well being of it's members.
why would ANY union want an increase in part time jobs.? increase in full time maybe. as for the physical side of the job, all delivery spans SHOULD be the same length regardless if you are part time/ full time.
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Trollies (Again)

Post by Brain Fury »

daveyeff wrote:
Brain Fury wrote:
Lincox wrote:Then we have to ask the question, is full time work more preferable at the expense of physical problems which in the long term may prevent our members being able to work at all.
That's a fair question. Problem is that the CWU made clear it's opposition to an increase in part-time jobs a long time ago. I suspect it has it's own reasons not necessarily linked to the well being of it's members.
why would ANY union want an increase in part time jobs.? increase in full time maybe. as for the physical side of the job, all delivery spans SHOULD be the same length regardless if you are part time/ full time.
Automation will continue to reduce the amount of preparation work so the job is going to be increasingly about delivery. A full time job on delivery will predominantly be delivery so your idea about delivery spans is unworkable.