ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by spiderj »

You are allowed to defend yourself using reasonable force
If you believe yourself to be in imminent danger
Humans or dogs
You must stop when the attack stops

I caught a terrier in mid air yesterday
If I can't run I'll defend myself
I don't come to work to be attacked
:cuppa
I won
Tuffers-1875
Posts: 25
Joined: 11 May 2011, 21:28
Gender: Male

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by Tuffers-1875 »

spiderj wrote:You are allowed to defend yourself using reasonable force
If you believe yourself to be in imminent danger
Humans or dogs
You must stop when the attack stops

I caught a terrier in mid air yesterday
If I can't run I'll defend myself
I don't come to work to be attacked
:cuppa
^^^^ This
slave
Posts: 433
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 21:39
Location: North West

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by slave »

If it has a proper go (as in it has bit you, that's "bit" not nipped) kick back, unless it's a fecking great big beast that would stand as tall as you if it were on its hind legs...All depends on the circumstances and the dog - would you kick a Rhodesian Ridgeback having a go?

I've back swiped, chased after and attempted boot a few dogs over the years. It's more than fair game if they are having a go at you, ignore any animal protection crap, if they attack and you can't easily escape, you defend yourself or curl up in to a ball and hope for the best.

Don't forget, note it down in the walk-log and/or on frame and inform the waste of space, erm, I mean manager - get them to perform their job and send a letter out informing the idle bastard (customer) that his/her dog is causing problems. Follow procedure, that way if an issue occurs in the future you can prove it wasn't a one-off and was a known nuisance..
thevardinator
Posts: 165
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by thevardinator »

I'm more than willing to use lethal force on a dog if required.
STAND TOGETHER IN THE FIGHT.
Tuffers-1875
Posts: 25
Joined: 11 May 2011, 21:28
Gender: Male

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by Tuffers-1875 »

fishtank wrote:
Tuffers-1875 wrote:Have you ever been attacked by a dog? Your inner survival instincts kick in.
I've been working in deliveries for more than 20 years what do you think?
You asked if we were allowed to "have a go back".
The answer is no, you're only allowed to defend/protect yourself.
I'm sure that won't stop you having your fun.
You think being attacked by 2 dogs is fun?? Do we go on delivery hoping for a bit of aggro? Strange comment.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by DGP1 »

Tuffers-1875 wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Tuffers-1875 wrote:Have you ever been attacked by a dog? Your inner survival instincts kick in.
I've been working in deliveries for more than 20 years what do you think?
You asked if we were allowed to "have a go back".
The answer is no, you're only allowed to defend/protect yourself.
I'm sure that won't stop you having your fun.
You think being attacked by 2 dogs is fun?? Do we go on delivery hoping for a bit of aggro? Strange comment.
TBH it's your fault that you didn't just retire to the van and endorse the mail, if a dog is loose at all then you don't go in, the rules are pretty simple.
It does seem to me that you enjoy kicking a small dog which makes you a rather small person with no other redeeming features.

Personally, I hope the owner reports you and you get punished.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Tuffers-1875
Posts: 25
Joined: 11 May 2011, 21:28
Gender: Male

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by Tuffers-1875 »

DGP1 wrote:
Tuffers-1875 wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Tuffers-1875 wrote:Have you ever been attacked by a dog? Your inner survival instincts kick in.
I've been working in deliveries for more than 20 years what do you think?
You asked if we were allowed to "have a go back".
The answer is no, you're only allowed to defend/protect yourself.
I'm sure that won't stop you having your fun.
You think being attacked by 2 dogs is fun?? Do we go on delivery hoping for a bit of aggro? Strange comment.
TBH it's your fault that you didn't just retire to the van and endorse the mail, if a dog is loose at all then you don't go in, the rules are pretty simple.
It does seem to me that you enjoy kicking a small dog which makes you a rather small person with no other redeeming features.

Personally, I hope the owner reports you and you get punished.
Oh, you're a wum.

One of your former posts "strange ive just seen a lad from yodel come my door, 2 asains trying to give me a packet for around 9 miles away thinking it was mine my street is nothing like what they was looking for another cock up horrible courier leave it to the professinals lads Is "2 asains" perhaps '2 assassins',..."

On user ignore from now on :cuppa
travisbickle
Posts: 66
Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 15:21
Gender: Male

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by travisbickle »

thechemisyshop wrote:in a word YES ---- boot the ba****ds
Prick
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by DGP1 »

Tuffers-1875 wrote:
DGP1 wrote:
Tuffers-1875 wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Tuffers-1875 wrote:Have you ever been attacked by a dog? Your inner survival instincts kick in.
I've been working in deliveries for more than 20 years what do you think?
You asked if we were allowed to "have a go back".
The answer is no, you're only allowed to defend/protect yourself.
I'm sure that won't stop you having your fun.
You think being attacked by 2 dogs is fun?? Do we go on delivery hoping for a bit of aggro? Strange comment.
TBH it's your fault that you didn't just retire to the van and endorse the mail, if a dog is loose at all then you don't go in, the rules are pretty simple.
It does seem to me that you enjoy kicking a small dog which makes you a rather small person with no other redeeming features.

Personally, I hope the owner reports you and you get punished.
Oh, you're a wum.

One of your former posts "strange ive just seen a lad from yodel come my door, 2 asains trying to give me a packet for around 9 miles away thinking it was mine my street is nothing like what they was looking for another cock up horrible courier leave it to the professinals lads Is "2 asains" perhaps '2 assassins',..."

On user ignore from now on :cuppa
Oh please, let me see where I said that............false quoting will raise my ire and have me reporting you.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by DGP1 »

Come on Tuffers, but then I don't think someone who takes pleasure out of kicking a small dog would apoligise for misquoting.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by Himaggen »

Tuffers-1875 wrote:On a rural and this house is down a single track road with just this one house at the end of it. You have to get out of the van and enter a code to get through the gates. As I get out a yappy little dog comes running down the drive, goes under the fence and charges at me while I'm trying to key in the code. I growl at him and he legs it. Next thing I know he's got his mate with him, both growling and stuff about 3 feet from me. I'm thinking, if I keep on trying to key the code in with these pair of chancers, they are going to bloody bite while my back is turned. The one came too close and I swung my foot at it and caught him good and proper. He went backwards into a brick wall. The owner then appeared and was shouting at the dogs. I didn't want to hurt the dog, but I feared one of them would bite me as they were becoming increasingly aggressive. I feel a bit sorry for the dog I kicked because his mate started it.

In the past I've booted Alsatians who've bitten me.

Are we within our rights to have a go back when attacked?
Based purely on your information, you were not attacked and therefore had no reason to 'have a go back'. A dog came close to you so you kicked it with some force.

There are procedures to follow when a dog is loose on the premises, you didn't follow them and as a result you attacked someones pet. If the owner was to make an official complaint you could be looking at conduct.
bahtatter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 17:20
Gender: Male

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by bahtatter »

brilliant :Applause
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by stokes11eg »

If owners complain, counter sue for having dogs out of vontrol in a public place. Normally, I really wouldn't hurt a fly, but we act on instinct sometimes, and If a dog did this to me, I'd probably reract the same--then live with the guilt.
Tanker007
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 Jun 2013, 17:11
Gender: Male

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by Tanker007 »

boo634 wrote:I think thats cruel mate just my opinion :thumbdown B
Really?.. How long have u been a postie? Have u ever been attacked by a dog?
You wouldn't say that if you had.
Let me tell you that there is nothing more scary than a snarling,barking,hackles up mutt
When u have felt the the teeth of a staffy ripping through your skin u may think differently.
I love animals dogs included but when it comes to preventative measures to stop a dog taking another chunk
Out of me I will use reasonable force! Which can be a simple wafting away with my letters or a full on boot up the backside.
I am SICK to death of moronic dog owners refusing to control the animals.

Just don't deliver and tell your Lino m8'... That really pees off the numpty customer.. :evil/mad
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: I Booted a Dog Today

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Tuffers-1875 wrote:[
One of your former posts "strange ive just seen a lad from yodel come my door, 2 asains trying to give me a packet for around 9 miles away thinking it was mine my street is nothing like what they was looking for another cock up horrible courier leave it to the professinals lads Is "2 asains" perhaps '2 assassins',..."

On user ignore from now on :cuppa
Not his post http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 5&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it was bigal.

Also just a friendly pointer this site is viewed by journalists and they use it to get stories. In light of that I changed your original title. It was in my opinion not accurate, or indicative of the actual subject, in fact it was quite inflammatory hence why some people reacted the way they did, and why I deleted some of them.

Members are requested to be self critical about what they post. Poorly thought out posts and threads can affect the reputation not only of this site, but Posties and Royal Mail in general. In the worst case they can even be the cause of members being suspended and sacked ------ It has happened
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.