ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

2014 Sunday working rumour

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

If true, I think it would start on OT (not me, they don't pay anywhere NEAR enough), or agency staff/casuals.
Long term, they'd try new contracts similar to what supermarkets have, 5 over 7, with no extra pay. It would become a normal working day. :thumbdown
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
Cichlid
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 116
Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 18:45
Gender: Male

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by Cichlid »

DirtyHarry wrote:
Cichlid wrote:
Worrying thing is that there is a backlog of parcels already and Christmas pressure hasn't started.
We start later, therefore, get out on delivery later. We miss a hell of a lot of people who we would otherwise catch were we to go back to 5.00am starts.
Saturdays are the worst, I got out at 10.00am and the high street I have to go through was already quite busy with shoppers.
By the time I had finished my delivery and was coming back through the high street at 1.45pm, it was absolutely heaving.
Small wonder I brought back a dozen parcels/packets, no bugger's hardly in when I'm out! :roll:
your right you can't get rid of packets due to later times but these are packets that haven't even left the office.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by DirtyHarry »

Cichlid wrote:
DirtyHarry wrote:
Cichlid wrote:
Worrying thing is that there is a backlog of parcels already and Christmas pressure hasn't started.
We start later, therefore, get out on delivery later. We miss a hell of a lot of people who we would otherwise catch were we to go back to 5.00am starts.
Saturdays are the worst, I got out at 10.00am and the high street I have to go through was already quite busy with shoppers.
By the time I had finished my delivery and was coming back through the high street at 1.45pm, it was absolutely heaving.
Small wonder I brought back a dozen parcels/packets, no bugger's hardly in when I'm out! :roll:
your right you can't get rid of packets due to later times but these are packets that haven't even left the office.
Quite right. I was just pointing out how backlogs start.
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by PHARRY »

fishtank wrote:
Puppetmaster wrote:Heard from different sources ,strong rumour of 2014 Sunday working .
Most likely voluntary ,delivering packets but the 2 sides cannot agree on a pay rate .
The current view point of many I know is Sunday working pay rate is a joke !
Why every xmas they struggle to get guys in to cover packets as the pay rate is a joke.
It's a likely scenario but I think it's probably a fair way off yet,
They will need to come up with some kind of processing and distribution solution and trial the whole thing somewhere to see the cost impact but 7 day delivery for parcels is definitely a direction they are looking at going...and you're right,If they want Sunday working in delivery they are going to have to cough up more.
Sundays a day of rest 6 days shalt thou labour 7th thou shalt rest
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by clashcityrocker »

PHARRY wrote: Sundays a day of rest 6 days shalt thou labour 7th thou shalt rest
But this is Royal Mail
6 days shalt be Spanish practices.
7th day thou shalt be on double time.
(From the book - Good News According to Clash)
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
the deliverer
Posts: 92
Joined: 14 May 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by the deliverer »

I imagine they will open the callers office on Sundays to clear the backlog of the previous week. Then they won't need us to deliver on the Sunday. Just a couple of workers indoors rather than a load of Over Timers on the road with extra fuel costs.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12206
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Cichlid wrote:I know of three Delivery offices in the north that are working today delivering parcels.

No higher rate offered just normal O\T rates.

Worrying thing is that there is a backlog of parcels already and Christmas pressure hasn't started.
For the last 2-3 years (in MCs at least) Xmas pressure has effectively started around mid November when parcels traffic goes through the roof, then by the time mid December comes it's back to normal volumes of work
the beautiful bd south
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 336
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 20:48
Location: west riding of yorkshire

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by the beautiful bd south »

people already work sundays on duty in mail centres.
For the privalege they receive a Sunday premium,
double time will not be on the agenda i'm afraid.
TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by Lounge Lizard »

PHARRY wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Puppetmaster wrote:Heard from different sources ,strong rumour of 2014 Sunday working .
Most likely voluntary ,delivering packets but the 2 sides cannot agree on a pay rate .
The current view point of many I know is Sunday working pay rate is a joke !
Why every xmas they struggle to get guys in to cover packets as the pay rate is a joke.
It's a likely scenario but I think it's probably a fair way off yet,
They will need to come up with some kind of processing and distribution solution and trial the whole thing somewhere to see the cost impact but 7 day delivery for parcels is definitely a direction they are looking at going...and you're right,If they want Sunday working in delivery they are going to have to cough up more.
Sundays a day of rest 6 days shalt thou labour 7th thou shalt rest
Yes, :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :cuppa
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by koolishy67 »

I am in for £10.80
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by eastie »

DirtyHarry wrote:
Cichlid wrote:
Worrying thing is that there is a backlog of parcels already and Christmas pressure hasn't started.
We start later, therefore, get out on delivery later. We miss a hell of a lot of people who we would otherwise catch were we to go back to 5.00am starts.
Saturdays are the worst, I got out at 10.00am and the high street I have to go through was already quite busy with shoppers.
By the time I had finished my delivery and was coming back through the high street at 1.45pm, it was absolutely heaving.
Small wonder I brought back a dozen parcels/packets, no bugger's hardly in when I'm out! :roll:
Brought back a dozen packet/parcels ?? :roll:
We brought back 3 sackloads of packet/parcels out of 6 sackloads on Saturday ,we only got rid of half on our P/L round
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by DirtyHarry »

eastie wrote:
DirtyHarry wrote:
Cichlid wrote:
Worrying thing is that there is a backlog of parcels already and Christmas pressure hasn't started.
We start later, therefore, get out on delivery later. We miss a hell of a lot of people who we would otherwise catch were we to go back to 5.00am starts.
Saturdays are the worst, I got out at 10.00am and the high street I have to go through was already quite busy with shoppers.
By the time I had finished my delivery and was coming back through the high street at 1.45pm, it was absolutely heaving.
Small wonder I brought back a dozen parcels/packets, no bugger's hardly in when I'm out! :roll:
Brought back a dozen packet/parcels ?? :roll:
We brought back 3 sackloads of packet/parcels out of 6 sackloads on Saturday ,we only got rid of half on our P/L round
Sorry mate, but try as I might, I cannot get six sackloads of packets/parcels into my HCT. If I could, I'm bloody sure I would have brought back as much as those who have vans.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by arnold cheshire »

Puppetmaster wrote:Heard from different sources ,strong rumour of 2014 Sunday working .
Most likely voluntary ,delivering packets but the 2 sides cannot agree on a pay rate .
The current view point of many I know is Sunday working pay rate is a joke !
Why every xmas they struggle to get guys in to cover packets as the pay rate is a joke.
where did this rumour come from ? theres more chance of evening deliveries
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by halfull »

working sundays! my god! whats next? deliveries through the night? :crazy: , if the royalmail planning sunday deliveries doesnt show how overworked we are in delivery then nothing will!
CT10
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 125
Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:31
Gender: Male

Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour

Post by CT10 »

halfull wrote:working sundays! my god! whats next? deliveries through the night? :crazy: , if the royalmail planning sunday deliveries doesnt show how overworked we are in delivery then nothing will!
My local office delivers 2 out of 4 Sundays a month all year around...