Long term, they'd try new contracts similar to what supermarkets have, 5 over 7, with no extra pay. It would become a normal working day.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
2014 Sunday working rumour
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
If true, I think it would start on OT (not me, they don't pay anywhere NEAR enough), or agency staff/casuals.
Long term, they'd try new contracts similar to what supermarkets have, 5 over 7, with no extra pay. It would become a normal working day.
Long term, they'd try new contracts similar to what supermarkets have, 5 over 7, with no extra pay. It would become a normal working day.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
Cichlid
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 116
- Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 18:45
- Gender: Male
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
your right you can't get rid of packets due to later times but these are packets that haven't even left the office.DirtyHarry wrote:We start later, therefore, get out on delivery later. We miss a hell of a lot of people who we would otherwise catch were we to go back to 5.00am starts.Cichlid wrote:
Worrying thing is that there is a backlog of parcels already and Christmas pressure hasn't started.
Saturdays are the worst, I got out at 10.00am and the high street I have to go through was already quite busy with shoppers.
By the time I had finished my delivery and was coming back through the high street at 1.45pm, it was absolutely heaving.
Small wonder I brought back a dozen parcels/packets, no bugger's hardly in when I'm out!
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
Quite right. I was just pointing out how backlogs start.Cichlid wrote:your right you can't get rid of packets due to later times but these are packets that haven't even left the office.DirtyHarry wrote:We start later, therefore, get out on delivery later. We miss a hell of a lot of people who we would otherwise catch were we to go back to 5.00am starts.Cichlid wrote:
Worrying thing is that there is a backlog of parcels already and Christmas pressure hasn't started.
Saturdays are the worst, I got out at 10.00am and the high street I have to go through was already quite busy with shoppers.
By the time I had finished my delivery and was coming back through the high street at 1.45pm, it was absolutely heaving.
Small wonder I brought back a dozen parcels/packets, no bugger's hardly in when I'm out!
-
PHARRY
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 327
- Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
- Gender: Male
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
Sundays a day of rest 6 days shalt thou labour 7th thou shalt restfishtank wrote:It's a likely scenario but I think it's probably a fair way off yet,Puppetmaster wrote:Heard from different sources ,strong rumour of 2014 Sunday working .
Most likely voluntary ,delivering packets but the 2 sides cannot agree on a pay rate .
The current view point of many I know is Sunday working pay rate is a joke !
Why every xmas they struggle to get guys in to cover packets as the pay rate is a joke.
They will need to come up with some kind of processing and distribution solution and trial the whole thing somewhere to see the cost impact but 7 day delivery for parcels is definitely a direction they are looking at going...and you're right,If they want Sunday working in delivery they are going to have to cough up more.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16726
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
But this is Royal MailPHARRY wrote: Sundays a day of rest 6 days shalt thou labour 7th thou shalt rest
6 days shalt be Spanish practices.
7th day thou shalt be on double time.
(From the book - Good News According to Clash)
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
the deliverer
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 14 May 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
I imagine they will open the callers office on Sundays to clear the backlog of the previous week. Then they won't need us to deliver on the Sunday. Just a couple of workers indoors rather than a load of Over Timers on the road with extra fuel costs.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12206
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
For the last 2-3 years (in MCs at least) Xmas pressure has effectively started around mid November when parcels traffic goes through the roof, then by the time mid December comes it's back to normal volumes of workCichlid wrote:I know of three Delivery offices in the north that are working today delivering parcels.
No higher rate offered just normal O\T rates.
Worrying thing is that there is a backlog of parcels already and Christmas pressure hasn't started.
-
the beautiful bd south
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 336
- Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 20:48
- Location: west riding of yorkshire
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
people already work sundays on duty in mail centres.
For the privalege they receive a Sunday premium,
double time will not be on the agenda i'm afraid.
For the privalege they receive a Sunday premium,
double time will not be on the agenda i'm afraid.
TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
Yes,PHARRY wrote:Sundays a day of rest 6 days shalt thou labour 7th thou shalt restfishtank wrote:It's a likely scenario but I think it's probably a fair way off yet,Puppetmaster wrote:Heard from different sources ,strong rumour of 2014 Sunday working .
Most likely voluntary ,delivering packets but the 2 sides cannot agree on a pay rate .
The current view point of many I know is Sunday working pay rate is a joke !
Why every xmas they struggle to get guys in to cover packets as the pay rate is a joke.
They will need to come up with some kind of processing and distribution solution and trial the whole thing somewhere to see the cost impact but 7 day delivery for parcels is definitely a direction they are looking at going...and you're right,If they want Sunday working in delivery they are going to have to cough up more.
-
koolishy67
- Posts: 665
- Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
- Gender: Male
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
I am in for £10.80
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
Brought back a dozen packet/parcels ??DirtyHarry wrote:We start later, therefore, get out on delivery later. We miss a hell of a lot of people who we would otherwise catch were we to go back to 5.00am starts.Cichlid wrote:
Worrying thing is that there is a backlog of parcels already and Christmas pressure hasn't started.
Saturdays are the worst, I got out at 10.00am and the high street I have to go through was already quite busy with shoppers.
By the time I had finished my delivery and was coming back through the high street at 1.45pm, it was absolutely heaving.
Small wonder I brought back a dozen parcels/packets, no bugger's hardly in when I'm out!
We brought back 3 sackloads of packet/parcels out of 6 sackloads on Saturday ,we only got rid of half on our P/L round
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
Sorry mate, but try as I might, I cannot get six sackloads of packets/parcels into my HCT. If I could, I'm bloody sure I would have brought back as much as those who have vans.eastie wrote:Brought back a dozen packet/parcels ??DirtyHarry wrote:We start later, therefore, get out on delivery later. We miss a hell of a lot of people who we would otherwise catch were we to go back to 5.00am starts.Cichlid wrote:
Worrying thing is that there is a backlog of parcels already and Christmas pressure hasn't started.
Saturdays are the worst, I got out at 10.00am and the high street I have to go through was already quite busy with shoppers.
By the time I had finished my delivery and was coming back through the high street at 1.45pm, it was absolutely heaving.
Small wonder I brought back a dozen parcels/packets, no bugger's hardly in when I'm out!![]()
We brought back 3 sackloads of packet/parcels out of 6 sackloads on Saturday ,we only got rid of half on our P/L round
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
where did this rumour come from ? theres more chance of evening deliveriesPuppetmaster wrote:Heard from different sources ,strong rumour of 2014 Sunday working .
Most likely voluntary ,delivering packets but the 2 sides cannot agree on a pay rate .
The current view point of many I know is Sunday working pay rate is a joke !
Why every xmas they struggle to get guys in to cover packets as the pay rate is a joke.
-
halfull
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 858
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
working sundays! my god! whats next? deliveries through the night?
, if the royalmail planning sunday deliveries doesnt show how overworked we are in delivery then nothing will!
-
CT10
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 26 Oct 2013, 02:31
- Gender: Male
Re: 2014 Sunday working rumour
My local office delivers 2 out of 4 Sundays a month all year around...halfull wrote:working sundays! my god! whats next? deliveries through the night?, if the royalmail planning sunday deliveries doesnt show how overworked we are in delivery then nothing will!