ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA Question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Ralph Wiggum wrote:
zx135 wrote:
lala wrote:
HeilMoya wrote:Options > Comms > Suspend Comms :whistle
Exactly what I was thinking :) Although I am more reconnect comms about 6 times a day as the stupid things are always offline. That's if the screen isn't frozen, battery low, or anything other number of problems we get with them!
no point in this, as the pda only records your location when your scanning an item anyway, items still get scanned and location recorded even with comms suspended, when comms are reconnected to download the items the locations where you scanned the items are sent then, just means dom needs to wait till comms are reconnected to find out where and when you were scanning things
If you suspend coms at place a, then drive to place b and scan an item still with coms suspend, then drive back to place a, reconnect coms, the pda will never even know you have been to place b as all coms (including the tracking device) have NOT been active.
thats incorrect, comms use the mobile networks, GPRS to send and recieve the data, the GPS system is still active when comms are suspended, reason being, GPS does not send any signals, it only receives them from the GPS satellite network
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by fishtank »

zx135 wrote:thats incorrect, comms use the mobile networks, GPRS to send and recieve the data, the GPS system is still active when comms are suspended, reason being, GPS does not send any signals, it only receives them from the GPS satellite network
Which is why the SatNav works with the comms suspended.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: PDA Question

Post by k979aaa »

fishtank wrote:
zx135 wrote:thats incorrect, comms use the mobile networks, GPRS to send and recieve the data, the GPS system is still active when comms are suspended, reason being, GPS does not send any signals, it only receives them from the GPS satellite network
Which is why the SatNav works with the comms suspended.
No wonder the frigging thing is dead at the end off the day 2% battery after 4 hours or so!
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: PDA Question

Post by BingBong »

Take it out with you. Pull the battery out. Simple. :-)
Toon Army!
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by Barbel »

Does anyone know what PDA stands for? Everyone I've asked so far doesn't have a clue..I'm betting on Personal Delivery Assistant?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: PDA Question

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Barbel wrote:Does anyone know what PDA stands for? Everyone I've asked so far doesn't have a clue..I'm betting on Personal Delivery Assistant?

Nearly

P is Postal
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by Barbel »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Barbel wrote:Does anyone know what PDA stands for? Everyone I've asked so far doesn't have a clue..I'm betting on Personal Delivery Assistant?

Nearly

P is Postal
Thank you!
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: PDA Question

Post by postypie »

lala wrote:So back to the original point, what is the point in taking a PDA if there are no tracked/recorded/specials? If they can only track when a scan is made, why have 1 with you?

Could I send it out as an overweight with the driver?
Fishyfingers
Posts: 162
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 22:04
Location: Highland

Re: PDA Question

Post by Fishyfingers »

Can you turn the sound off on a PDA?getting annoyed as mine keeps beeping all the time.