ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

anybody else do this ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by NewPostieUK »

Yes, I must be pretty lucky. Both mine and my P&L partner have no double slots at all. I've done about ten duties in my office, and only one has had double slots. That was a nightmare, I don't know how you get by with a load of doubles.

Actually, a walk I used to do had mostly two slots per house. It had less than 400 houses in a village, good to prep, but now the frame has had it's wings stolen, and gets pretty packed once it's prepped.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by 5plusbonusball »

When it's half past 8 and most of your delivery is in by the quickest method, you then get another tray of mech.
It just goes in as fast as possible whether it's in front of or behind the flats.
It would be nice if you could have a nice looking spacious frame :pray
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
Lance Jack
Posts: 60
Joined: 13 Nov 2012, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by Lance Jack »

I have taken over a walk from somebody who was throwing off left handed. He had thrown three quarters off and then gone sick. Made an interesting morning.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Lance Jack wrote:I have taken over a walk from somebody who was throwing off left handed. He had thrown three quarters off and then gone sick. Made an interesting morning.
Left handers should all be porters.
That way they don't annoy the majority of people in the DO.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
ivan frankfurt
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 May 2009, 20:20
Gender: Male

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by ivan frankfurt »

I've been prepping my walks in colour order, white left side mixed colours in the middle and on the right side my flats are stored there. As for my packets/bulk items I turn the letters upside down. Absolutely foolproof :cuppa
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by clashcityrocker »

ivan frankfurt wrote:I've been prepping my walks in colour order, white left side mixed colours in the middle and on the right side my flats are stored there. As for my packets/bulk items I turn the letters upside down. Absolutely foolproof :cuppa
That's got to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of.
I'll be trying it tomorrow.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
ivan frankfurt
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 May 2009, 20:20
Gender: Male

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by ivan frankfurt »

clashcityrocker wrote:
ivan frankfurt wrote:I've been prepping my walks in colour order, white left side mixed colours in the middle and on the right side my flats are stored there. As for my packets/bulk items I turn the letters upside down. Absolutely foolproof :cuppa
That's got to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of.
I'll be trying it tomorrow.
:Applause
mr hil.
Posts: 425
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
Gender: Male

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by mr hil. »

ivan frankfurt wrote:I've been prepping my walks in colour order, white left side mixed colours in the middle and on the right side my flats are stored there. As for my packets/bulk items I turn the letters upside down. Absolutely foolproof :cuppa
I will suggest this at my first world class mail "huggle"......if we ever get that far! We should all be colour sorting our mail, and also put first class to the front, followed by second class, etc. then we could take out each slot and check for accuracy, so that we are not tempted to check whilst walking up the garden path, and finally , maybe run an iron over any that have gotten creased or folded. :crazy:

With the amount of mail and D2D we now get I limit things to letters in front of large flats with D2D sandwiched if possible but if not behind any real mail. I also flip the first letter round if there is a packet or parcel too. I have done this for fifteen years and when I took over a round prepped by someone else who had gone home sick it was a nightmare.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

clashcityrocker wrote:
ivan frankfurt wrote:I've been prepping my walks in colour order, white left side mixed colours in the middle and on the right side my flats are stored there. As for my packets/bulk items I turn the letters upside down. Absolutely foolproof :cuppa
That's got to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of.
I'll be trying it tomorrow.
It works in the rain. It keeps the brown envelopes better protected, as they always look the worse for wear when they get wet.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by arnold cheshire »

comeracing wrote:ive done this for 15 + years when im putting mail in my frame I always put flats and mags in first then sequenced mail and letters last,so the big stuff on the right of your slot and smaller stuff on the left,i find this a lot easier on delivery less fumbling about etc,not many do this in our office letters are often tucked behind a4 size flats etc,anyone else out there do my method :thumbup
i will shove the mag to the right on a single slot fitting . anyway the expect you to throw your mech in on arrival before IPS
whippet
Posts: 35
Joined: 20 Nov 2010, 17:50
Gender: Female

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by whippet »

NewPostieUK wrote:Yes, I must be pretty lucky. Both mine and my P&L partner have no double slots at all. I've done about ten duties in my office, and only one has had double slots. That was a nightmare, I don't know how you get by with a load of doubles.
WOW! :shock: I'd say you're lucky. Me and my P&L partner have a couple of rows of single slots between us but the majority are doubles.
That must be a dream fitting.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by DGP1 »

NewPostieUK wrote:
DGP1 wrote:Seems like these people don't have the new ips frames which mix letters and flats in together :nervous
What difference would that make? They still have to be sorted into the duty frame.
Because you don't sit and sort them out between flats and letters, you just put them in...........in whatever way they come.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
pokos27
Posts: 657
Joined: 15 Apr 2010, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: anybody else do this ?

Post by pokos27 »

just 8 d2d in each slot, no room for letters