Actually if you resign within 3 years you will lose the free shares, between 3 & 5 years they will be removed from the SIP and you will potentially have to pay tax & NI on them. If you leave after 5 years you keep them tax free.Puppetmaster wrote:Read the Prospectus for facts .If you resign for any reason no shares for 5 years ,retired or death you still get your shares.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Shares and backdated pay if I leave
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6703
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
I would expect some exceptions to pop up.RobertT wrote:Actually if you resign within 3 years you will lose the free shares, between 3 & 5 years they will be removed from the SIP and you will potentially have to pay tax & NI on them. If you leave after 5 years you keep them tax free.
I can't imagine someone who has to resign to look after their children because their partner has died being refused their shares,the publicity would be horrendous.
Also this rule may adversely affect women more than men or put added pressure on women to return to the workplace after having children which could open up a huge can of worms.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
how much tax and national insurance would be if it now at 4,000 (for debate stake)
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
£1320Darren Bent wrote:how much tax and national insurance would be if it now at 4,000 (for debate stake)
-
SP115
- Posts: 178
- Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 17:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Location: Location
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
When do we get this backdated payrise?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
theres been no deal .SP115 wrote:When do we get this backdated payrise?
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
If you retire and are paid for your shares, will they be valued at the issue price or the share price at your retirement date ?
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6703
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
According to pages 28/29 of the 'guide to RM shares' we would pay tax on the lower amount of what they were worth when we recieved them and what they're worth when we sell them. So for example, if the market value of our shares on 15th Oct 2013 was £3,000 and and their value on or after 15th Oct 2016 is £4,000 then we would pay tax on the £3,000. So a tax & NI bill of £960.bringon4dayweeks wrote:£1320Darren Bent wrote:how much tax and national insurance would be if it now at 4,000 (for debate stake)
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6703
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
You will get whatever their value is on the day you sell them.rhino49 wrote:If you retire and are paid for your shares, will they be valued at the issue price or the share price at your retirement date ?
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
How does that work now that people don't actually have a "retirement" date?RobertT wrote:You will get whatever their value is on the day you sell them.rhino49 wrote:If you retire and are paid for your shares, will they be valued at the issue price or the share price at your retirement date ?
Does it simply mean if you resign any time after your 65th birthday?
It might be in the prospectus somewhere I haven't really read it.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72767
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
and is there any certainty it would be backdated.bringon4dayweeks wrote:theres been no deal .SP115 wrote:When do we get this backdated payrise?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6703
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
I've bought that up a couple of times on other threads and to be honest I don't know the answer, and as far as I know it hasn't actually been clarified by RM either.fishtank wrote:How does that work now that people don't actually have a "retirement" date?RobertT wrote:You will get whatever their value is on the day you sell them.rhino49 wrote:If you retire and are paid for your shares, will they be valued at the issue price or the share price at your retirement date ?
Does it simply mean if you resign any time after your 65th birthday?
It might be in the prospectus somewhere I haven't really read it.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
Well they'll need to clarify it sooner rather than later because I'll be 67 before xmas and I don't want to have to die to keep my shares I'd much rather retire with dignity, if I have any left by then, and keep my shares..........or should I just look at it as a gamble that may or may not pay off............I'm not telling the wife about them, nor the insurance policies...........I don't want to get the dog to taste everything before I eat itRobertT wrote:I've bought that up a couple of times on other threads and to be honest I don't know the answer, and as far as I know it hasn't actually been clarified by RM either.fishtank wrote:How does that work now that people don't actually have a "retirement" date?RobertT wrote:You will get whatever their value is on the day you sell them.rhino49 wrote:If you retire and are paid for your shares, will they be valued at the issue price or the share price at your retirement date ?
Does it simply mean if you resign any time after your 65th birthday?
It might be in the prospectus somewhere I haven't really read it.
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
It is reasonable to assume that a retirement date is the date at which you become eligible for the state pension but as companies cannot now insist on a person leaving at that date, it seems you have to "resign" in order to retire officially. This would then be treated as a notice of retirement rather than a notice of resignation. A calculator to check your date of state pension eligibility and it's value is here ... https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave
Robert T
The £960 calculation is not exactly correct as you have based 12% NI on all of the £3000 whereas the weekly upper threshold I believe is somewhere around £750 for NI, so I would assume that the week in which you sell your shares you would exceed this limit so Ni would only be on £750 (approx) less your wages for that week.
There is however an NI Banding 1A which deals with employer benefits, which this could possibly come under and unfortunately the rate of NI for this is 13.8% so the bill may be higher than you have stated.
The other anomely is that any budgetary changes in tax and ni rates in the coming years may have an impact either negative or positive on the rates you have used.
The £960 calculation is not exactly correct as you have based 12% NI on all of the £3000 whereas the weekly upper threshold I believe is somewhere around £750 for NI, so I would assume that the week in which you sell your shares you would exceed this limit so Ni would only be on £750 (approx) less your wages for that week.
There is however an NI Banding 1A which deals with employer benefits, which this could possibly come under and unfortunately the rate of NI for this is 13.8% so the bill may be higher than you have stated.
The other anomely is that any budgetary changes in tax and ni rates in the coming years may have an impact either negative or positive on the rates you have used.