ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by RobertT »

Puppetmaster wrote:Read the Prospectus for facts .If you resign for any reason no shares for 5 years ,retired or death you still get your shares.
Actually if you resign within 3 years you will lose the free shares, between 3 & 5 years they will be removed from the SIP and you will potentially have to pay tax & NI on them. If you leave after 5 years you keep them tax free.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by fishtank »

RobertT wrote:Actually if you resign within 3 years you will lose the free shares, between 3 & 5 years they will be removed from the SIP and you will potentially have to pay tax & NI on them. If you leave after 5 years you keep them tax free.
I would expect some exceptions to pop up.
I can't imagine someone who has to resign to look after their children because their partner has died being refused their shares,the publicity would be horrendous.
Also this rule may adversely affect women more than men or put added pressure on women to return to the workplace after having children which could open up a huge can of worms.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by Darren Bent »

how much tax and national insurance would be if it now at 4,000 (for debate stake)
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by arnold cheshire »

Darren Bent wrote:how much tax and national insurance would be if it now at 4,000 (for debate stake)
£1320
SP115
Posts: 178
Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 17:52
Gender: Male
Location: Location: Location

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by SP115 »

When do we get this backdated payrise?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by arnold cheshire »

SP115 wrote:When do we get this backdated payrise?
theres been no deal .
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by rhino49 »

If you retire and are paid for your shares, will they be valued at the issue price or the share price at your retirement date ?
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by RobertT »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
Darren Bent wrote:how much tax and national insurance would be if it now at 4,000 (for debate stake)
£1320
According to pages 28/29 of the 'guide to RM shares' we would pay tax on the lower amount of what they were worth when we recieved them and what they're worth when we sell them. So for example, if the market value of our shares on 15th Oct 2013 was £3,000 and and their value on or after 15th Oct 2016 is £4,000 then we would pay tax on the £3,000. So a tax & NI bill of £960.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by RobertT »

rhino49 wrote:If you retire and are paid for your shares, will they be valued at the issue price or the share price at your retirement date ?
You will get whatever their value is on the day you sell them.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by fishtank »

RobertT wrote:
rhino49 wrote:If you retire and are paid for your shares, will they be valued at the issue price or the share price at your retirement date ?
You will get whatever their value is on the day you sell them.
How does that work now that people don't actually have a "retirement" date?
Does it simply mean if you resign any time after your 65th birthday?
It might be in the prospectus somewhere I haven't really read it. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
SP115 wrote:When do we get this backdated payrise?
theres been no deal .
and is there any certainty it would be backdated.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by RobertT »

fishtank wrote:
RobertT wrote:
rhino49 wrote:If you retire and are paid for your shares, will they be valued at the issue price or the share price at your retirement date ?
You will get whatever their value is on the day you sell them.
How does that work now that people don't actually have a "retirement" date?
Does it simply mean if you resign any time after your 65th birthday?
It might be in the prospectus somewhere I haven't really read it. :neutral:
I've bought that up a couple of times on other threads and to be honest I don't know the answer, and as far as I know it hasn't actually been clarified by RM either.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by dvbuk55 »

RobertT wrote:
fishtank wrote:
RobertT wrote:
rhino49 wrote:If you retire and are paid for your shares, will they be valued at the issue price or the share price at your retirement date ?
You will get whatever their value is on the day you sell them.
How does that work now that people don't actually have a "retirement" date?
Does it simply mean if you resign any time after your 65th birthday?
It might be in the prospectus somewhere I haven't really read it. :neutral:
I've bought that up a couple of times on other threads and to be honest I don't know the answer, and as far as I know it hasn't actually been clarified by RM either.
Well they'll need to clarify it sooner rather than later because I'll be 67 before xmas and I don't want to have to die to keep my shares I'd much rather retire with dignity, if I have any left by then, and keep my shares..........or should I just look at it as a gamble that may or may not pay off............I'm not telling the wife about them, nor the insurance policies...........I don't want to get the dog to taste everything before I eat it :shock: . :chuckle :chuckle
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by rhino49 »

It is reasonable to assume that a retirement date is the date at which you become eligible for the state pension but as companies cannot now insist on a person leaving at that date, it seems you have to "resign" in order to retire officially. This would then be treated as a notice of retirement rather than a notice of resignation. A calculator to check your date of state pension eligibility and it's value is here ... https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Shares and backdated pay if I leave

Post by Lincox »

Robert T
The £960 calculation is not exactly correct as you have based 12% NI on all of the £3000 whereas the weekly upper threshold I believe is somewhere around £750 for NI, so I would assume that the week in which you sell your shares you would exceed this limit so Ni would only be on £750 (approx) less your wages for that week.
There is however an NI Banding 1A which deals with employer benefits, which this could possibly come under and unfortunately the rate of NI for this is 13.8% so the bill may be higher than you have stated.
The other anomely is that any budgetary changes in tax and ni rates in the coming years may have an impact either negative or positive on the rates you have used.