A union member funnily enough :SHarry_Perkins wrote:Who told you this? You can't suffer detrimental treatment for taking IA, as I understand it. No matter if you're in the union or not.GoingPostal86 wrote:I was told I couldnt strike because I wasnt in the union and I wouldnt have the same protection etc..Harry_Perkins wrote:You don't have to be in the union to take Industrial Action. Some offices are weaker than others and you may have to take the initiative to join yourself: http://www.cwu.org/join.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;GoingPostal86 wrote:What about permanent 20hr posties that arent in the union? Only been in the job 9 months, not been approached to join the union so far.. still getting over the fact I managed to get the job at all!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
on strike day
-
GoingPostal86
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72767
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: on strike day
Correct even the Government say so. https://www.gov.uk/if-your-business-fac ... nd-strikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Harry_Perkins wrote:Who told you this? You can't suffer detrimental treatment for taking IA, as I understand it. No matter if you're in the union or not.GoingPostal86 wrote:I was told I couldnt strike because I wasnt in the union and I wouldnt have the same protection etc..Harry_Perkins wrote:You don't have to be in the union to take Industrial Action. Some offices are weaker than others and you may have to take the initiative to join yourself: http://www.cwu.org/join.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;GoingPostal86 wrote:What about permanent 20hr posties that arent in the union? Only been in the job 9 months, not been approached to join the union so far.. still getting over the fact I managed to get the job at all!
Non-union staff and striking
If non-union members go on strike, they are protected from dismissal and have the same rights as union members, as long as the industrial action is lawful.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Harry_Perkins
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 15:42
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
Possibly trying to frighten you into joining but there is no need. We should have the confidence to make the case for joining without doing this.GoingPostal86 wrote:A union member funnily enough :SHarry_Perkins wrote:Who told you this? You can't suffer detrimental treatment for taking IA, as I understand it. No matter if you're in the union or not.GoingPostal86 wrote:I was told I couldnt strike because I wasnt in the union and I wouldnt have the same protection etc..Harry_Perkins wrote:You don't have to be in the union to take Industrial Action. Some offices are weaker than others and you may have to take the initiative to join yourself: http://www.cwu.org/join.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;GoingPostal86 wrote:What about permanent 20hr posties that arent in the union? Only been in the job 9 months, not been approached to join the union so far.. still getting over the fact I managed to get the job at all!
You must understand that I am here purely as A BEARER OF MESSAGES.
-
GoingPostal86
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
How long does it take to join up once i send off the form? I'll likely sign up anyway for other reasons
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
I am not in the Union (though have considered joining ; but was put off by the Rep)
But I support the strike , and am quite willing to lose a days (or more) pay and the £300 bribe.
So , I will not cross a picket line and will walk away.
Does that make me a scab? Or am I okay.?
(its a rhetorical question - (sp)
BTW the office I work in will mostly NOT strike.
So, maybe a non-union member will be at the forefront.
It annoys me intensely that Union Members do not back the Union ; and more importantly do not understand the issues.
It annoys me that after any strike day the usual suspects will hoover up overtime .
After any strike day surely one should only work their hours (or am I being stupid)
Rant over for the day
But I support the strike , and am quite willing to lose a days (or more) pay and the £300 bribe.
So , I will not cross a picket line and will walk away.
Does that make me a scab? Or am I okay.?
(its a rhetorical question - (sp)
BTW the office I work in will mostly NOT strike.
So, maybe a non-union member will be at the forefront.
It annoys me intensely that Union Members do not back the Union ; and more importantly do not understand the issues.
It annoys me that after any strike day the usual suspects will hoover up overtime .
After any strike day surely one should only work their hours (or am I being stupid)
Rant over for the day
-
piranha
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 496
- Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
Why don't you ask your dom this question? It's a pretty obvious answer anyway......turn up for work as normal 
It annoyed me today too as a fellow non union member who is prepared to strike that many of the numpties in my office who ARE in the union and voted YES for industrial action are now saying they will be coming in on the 4th. I think this £300 thing is playing on peoples minds.
It annoyed me today too as a fellow non union member who is prepared to strike that many of the numpties in my office who ARE in the union and voted YES for industrial action are now saying they will be coming in on the 4th. I think this £300 thing is playing on peoples minds.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72767
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: on strike day
He can't if he is refusing to cross the picket line, even if there isn't one.piranha wrote:Why don't you ask your dom this question? It's a pretty obvious answer anyway......turn up for work as normal
No hampshireman - As long as you don't work on a strike day then you are not a scab. As long as you stay away from work even if you don't stand picket, then I will consider you a comrade, not in the lefty sense, but as someone who is on my side.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
Okay. Maybe I don't undersatnd your answer , or maybe I am not clear enough. Don't know which.piranha wrote:Why don't you ask your dom this question? It's a pretty obvious answer anyway......turn up for work as normal
It annoyed me today too as a fellow non union member who is prepared to strike that many of the numpties in my office who ARE in the union and voted YES for industrial action are now saying they will be coming in on the 4th.
It's the first line I don't get.
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
Thanks TBT.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:He can't if he is refusing to cross the picket line, even if there isn't one.piranha wrote:Why don't you ask your dom this question? It's a pretty obvious answer anyway......turn up for work as normal![]()
![]()
![]()
No hampshireman - As long as you don't work on a strike day then you are not a scab. As long as you stay away from work even if you don't stand picket, then I will consider you a comrade, not in the lefty sense, but as someone who is on my side.
Maybe I did not get my point accross well enough.
But the bottom line , even though not a member ; is that I wont work that day . With or without an imaginary ( or real ) picket line.
-
bertieboy
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 25 Jul 2010, 19:53
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
Selfish,Cowardly,Act of Betrayal as opposed to Sausage Chips And Beans.trevjim wrote:Im not going on strike, you can call me what you want I really dont care I have my reasons and opinions not to, I respect yours, so respect mine, but what I want to know is, on strike day do I just go in as normal?
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2060
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
korky wrote:i just lost my dad, which i'm in debt for the funeral, just got married, due to move house in a few weeks, working all hours i can manage,
but would i feck cross a picket line.
there's always someone worse off than you & i
I salute You Mate
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2060
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
Theres nothing like a bit of industrial action to bring out peoples true colours.
-
Theghost
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: on strike day
Anyone not striking,Just despicable.
We will lose our pay for your benefits,Nobody wants to strike,But I can be proud to say I fought for my fellow workers,Once again.
These people are just sad in my eyes and will never be accepted or respected.
We will lose our pay for your benefits,Nobody wants to strike,But I can be proud to say I fought for my fellow workers,Once again.
These people are just sad in my eyes and will never be accepted or respected.
-
johno47
- Posts: 495
- Joined: 10 Feb 2007, 16:45
- Location: Burslem
Re: on strike day
Trevjim, what's next tipping your cap to the boss as he walks past, Royal Mail workhouses, knowing my place, ridicules post, I've got a roof over my head because ive worked my b*****ks off for 40 years, RM haven't given it me for free, we have accepted change for the last 13 years and as a thank you we have been privatised so that rich people can get richer, I have the utmost respect for anyone who has served this country but it doesn't make you the font of all wisdom, if we were all like you we would be saying thanks very much in 3 years time when RM stick their foot up our arses as they give you 0 hours contracts or worse put you on the dole,
-
BingBong
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 755
- Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
- Gender: Female
- Location: the north
Re: on strike day
i know who you are.trevjim wrote:Wow it's like talking to kids having a tantrum.
The reason I won't strike is because I believe it to be greedy, set in your ways, and because the company owes you nothing so stop acting like it does.
You should all be lucky that you have a job, get paid, have a roof over your head etc. We have it so much better then millions in this country, we get a pay above minimum wage for unskilled work, we get pension, good hours with evenings and Sunday free.
The times are changing and lots of companies are changing, deal with it. It's life, royal mail is not your company, we do what's in the contract.
How did I get this view, I've served tours, seen the conditions some people in this world have it. I've had jobs doing 60-70 hours weeks, for minimum wage at horrible hours. When public sector strikes went on, I can assure you no one has sympothy for you. Your are greedy. Open your eyes to how good we have it, even if it gets worse, we still have it a lot better than others.
Toon Army!