ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Royal Mail to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... tmas-staff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Christmas workers will support 124,000 permanent postmen and women during their busiest time of the year

Royal Mail is to recruit more than 21,000 seasonal staff to help sort the Christmas post.

Around 18,000 will be in England, 2,000 in Scotland, 700 in Wales and 400 in Northern Ireland, available between early November and January 2014.

The temporary jobs will support Royal Mail's permanent 124,000 postmen and women who sort and deliver the mail all year round, including Christmas – which is the busiest time of the year for the postal service.

Royal Mail's managing director of operations and modernisation, Mark Higson, said: "Christmas is the busiest time of the year for Royal Mail and we plan all year round to help ensure we deliver the best possible service to our customers.

"Every Christmas, we make a substantial financial commitment in additional resources to handle the festive mailbag, including the recruitment of thousands of temporary workers."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
britwrit
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 967
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:12

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by britwrit »

As long as they're not taking away my overtime (yeah, I'm a Grinch, I know), I like Christmas casuals. For all their cluelessness, they usually work pretty hard and have an up-beat attitude.
Red Robbo
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 680
Joined: 31 Jan 2012, 09:23
Gender: Male

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by Red Robbo »

britwrit wrote:As long as they're not taking away my overtime (yeah, I'm a Grinch, I know), I like Christmas casuals. For all their cluelessness, they usually work pretty hard and have an up-beat attitude.
We have a few "clueless" ones working in our MC, fortunately they are managers :chuckle :chuckle :left:
cyclemech1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 334
Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
Gender: Male

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by cyclemech1 »

Red Robbo wrote:
britwrit wrote:As long as they're not taking away my overtime (yeah, I'm a Grinch, I know), I like Christmas casuals. For all their cluelessness, they usually work pretty hard and have an up-beat attitude.
We have a few "clueless" ones working in our MC, fortunately they are managers :chuckle :chuckle :left:
Judging by what they are paying at my local MC, I don't know how many will apply. I certainly won't! :shock:

Pay Rates

Mon - Sat 06.00 - 22.00 £6.31

Mon - Sat 22.00 - 06.00 £6.80

Sunday 06.00 - 22.00 £7.80

Sunday 22.00 - 06.00 £8.80
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by dvbuk55 »

I expect to see NO casual staff this Christmas the same as last Christmas and every Christmas since I've been here :cuppa
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by RedBagMan »

Damage bags at the ready ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
edwardo
Posts: 180
Joined: 23 Sep 2010, 19:01
Gender: Male

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by edwardo »

might need another 100 000 if we" re out on strike ha the future £ 6 80 AN HOUR
cyclemech1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 334
Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
Gender: Male

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by cyclemech1 »

edwardo wrote:might need another 100 000 if we" re out on strike ha the future £ 6 80 AN HOUR
Thats for NIGHT work!
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by k979aaa »

cyclemech1 wrote:
Red Robbo wrote:
britwrit wrote:As long as they're not taking away my overtime (yeah, I'm a Grinch, I know), I like Christmas casuals. For all their cluelessness, they usually work pretty hard and have an up-beat attitude.
We have a few "clueless" ones working in our MC, fortunately they are managers :chuckle :chuckle :left:
Judging by what they are paying at my local MC, I don't know how many will apply. I certainly won't! :shock:

Pay Rates

Mon - Sat 06.00 - 22.00 £6.31

Mon - Sat 22.00 - 06.00 £6.80

Sunday 06.00 - 22.00 £7.80

Sunday 22.00 - 06.00 £8.80
Will these be our rates after privatisation don't bet on three years may happen as soon as it floats just like the s**t deal it is.
massdebate121
Posts: 95
Joined: 19 Dec 2011, 08:35
Gender: Female

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by massdebate121 »

You realise that with all the new Christams casuals, all of the year-round Angard casuals (who know what they're doing) will be laid off?
Good luck :sad:
the mad woman
Posts: 178
Joined: 20 May 2007, 13:37

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by the mad woman »

Us on delivery get no help at xmas as usual
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff

Post by Sidley »

You forget the morale boosting pep talks from the Dom "Mail's down!" before he locks himself in his warm office with his coffee mug perpetually grafted to his mitt.