Royal Mail to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... tmas-staff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christmas workers will support 124,000 permanent postmen and women during their busiest time of the year
Royal Mail is to recruit more than 21,000 seasonal staff to help sort the Christmas post.
Around 18,000 will be in England, 2,000 in Scotland, 700 in Wales and 400 in Northern Ireland, available between early November and January 2014.
The temporary jobs will support Royal Mail's permanent 124,000 postmen and women who sort and deliver the mail all year round, including Christmas – which is the busiest time of the year for the postal service.
Royal Mail's managing director of operations and modernisation, Mark Higson, said: "Christmas is the busiest time of the year for Royal Mail and we plan all year round to help ensure we deliver the best possible service to our customers.
"Every Christmas, we make a substantial financial commitment in additional resources to handle the festive mailbag, including the recruitment of thousands of temporary workers."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
britwrit
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 967
- Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:12
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
As long as they're not taking away my overtime (yeah, I'm a Grinch, I know), I like Christmas casuals. For all their cluelessness, they usually work pretty hard and have an up-beat attitude.
-
Red Robbo
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 680
- Joined: 31 Jan 2012, 09:23
- Gender: Male
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
We have a few "clueless" ones working in our MC, fortunately they are managersbritwrit wrote:As long as they're not taking away my overtime (yeah, I'm a Grinch, I know), I like Christmas casuals. For all their cluelessness, they usually work pretty hard and have an up-beat attitude.
-
cyclemech1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
- Gender: Male
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
Judging by what they are paying at my local MC, I don't know how many will apply. I certainly won't!Red Robbo wrote:We have a few "clueless" ones working in our MC, fortunately they are managersbritwrit wrote:As long as they're not taking away my overtime (yeah, I'm a Grinch, I know), I like Christmas casuals. For all their cluelessness, they usually work pretty hard and have an up-beat attitude.![]()
![]()
Pay Rates
Mon - Sat 06.00 - 22.00 £6.31
Mon - Sat 22.00 - 06.00 £6.80
Sunday 06.00 - 22.00 £7.80
Sunday 22.00 - 06.00 £8.80
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
I expect to see NO casual staff this Christmas the same as last Christmas and every Christmas since I've been here 
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
Damage bags at the ready ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
edwardo
- Posts: 180
- Joined: 23 Sep 2010, 19:01
- Gender: Male
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
might need another 100 000 if we" re out on strike ha the future £ 6 80 AN HOUR
-
cyclemech1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
- Gender: Male
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
Thats for NIGHT work!edwardo wrote:might need another 100 000 if we" re out on strike ha the future £ 6 80 AN HOUR
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
Will these be our rates after privatisation don't bet on three years may happen as soon as it floats just like the s**t deal it is.cyclemech1 wrote:Judging by what they are paying at my local MC, I don't know how many will apply. I certainly won't!Red Robbo wrote:We have a few "clueless" ones working in our MC, fortunately they are managersbritwrit wrote:As long as they're not taking away my overtime (yeah, I'm a Grinch, I know), I like Christmas casuals. For all their cluelessness, they usually work pretty hard and have an up-beat attitude.![]()
![]()
![]()
Pay Rates
Mon - Sat 06.00 - 22.00 £6.31
Mon - Sat 22.00 - 06.00 £6.80
Sunday 06.00 - 22.00 £7.80
Sunday 22.00 - 06.00 £8.80
-
massdebate121
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 19 Dec 2011, 08:35
- Gender: Female
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
You realise that with all the new Christams casuals, all of the year-round Angard casuals (who know what they're doing) will be laid off?
Good luck
Good luck
-
the mad woman
- Posts: 178
- Joined: 20 May 2007, 13:37
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
Us on delivery get no help at xmas as usual
-
Sidley
- Posts: 653
- Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
- Gender: Male
Re: RM to recruit more than 21,000 temporary Christmas staff
You forget the morale boosting pep talks from the Dom "Mail's down!" before he locks himself in his warm office with his coffee mug perpetually grafted to his mitt.