ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

house alarm

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: house alarm

Post by Stormproof »

Just recently had to go into a couple of conduct cases regarding doorstepping. One item was left in an unlocked porch, that is regarded as unsecure. So if you want to keep your job don't leave anything, the customer will drop you right in it if something goes tits up whether you've been doing it for weeks/months/years.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
justdeno
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Gender: Female

Re: house alarm

Post by justdeno »

So what happens when on the parcel it states safe place eg in porch or garage? :crazy:
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: house alarm

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

justdeno wrote:So what happens when on the parcel it states safe place eg in porch or garage? :crazy:
Doesn't matter. If it went missing the customer who is the intended recipient would still complain.
Unless they have signed a letter and sent it to the manager on record, always P739. It covers you.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: house alarm

Post by arnold cheshire »

justdeno wrote:So what happens when on the parcel it states safe place eg in porch or garage? :crazy:
safeplace tracked its ok :nana
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: house alarm

Post by arnold cheshire »

trevjim wrote:Today I had a parcel for a customer, it wasn't recorded or tracked and I would happily leave it by the door in the area the house is. However as the residents where out and they had a porch, I thought I would try the porch and leave it in there.

The door was unlocked so I popped the parcel in, however the moment I opened the porch door the house alarm went off! They and the neighbours where out so I couldnt do much so I just carried on and about 20 mins later the alarm was off and back to normal.

I've left parcels in porches many times and even have notes stuck on doors saying to do so on occasions.

Is this something we are allowed to do? (either way I won't be doing it on this house again!)
youve done nothing wrong trev
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: house alarm

Post by arnold cheshire »

DB1100 wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:
trevjim wrote:Today I had a parcel for a customer, it wasn't recorded or tracked and I would happily leave it by the door in the area the house is. However as the residents where out and they had a porch, I thought I would try the porch and leave it in there.

The door was unlocked so I popped the parcel in, however the moment I opened the porch door the house alarm went off! They and the neighbours where out so I couldnt do much so I just carried on and about 20 mins later the alarm was off and back to normal.

I've left parcels in porches many times and even have notes stuck on doors saying to do so on occasions.

Is this something we are allowed to do? (either way I won't be doing it on this house again!)
i went to a house a few weeks ago and the door was ajar and nobody answered so i left a p739 why leave your front door open if your not in ????
There wasn't a big puddle of blood on the floor just inside was there?
who cares i was off quick strange stuff
Jynxx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 198
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: house alarm

Post by Jynxx »

Surely if this is the case RM should stop putting "leave in a safe place" on tracked items? They've never once explained what a 'safe' place is....the drug using neighbour perhaps? Recycle bin? ....all we're told is use your judgement which is great until the coke head denies accepting the parcel then its your fault.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: house alarm

Post by arnold cheshire »

Jynxx wrote:Surely if this is the case RM should stop putting "leave in a safe place" on tracked items? They've never once explained what a 'safe' place is....the drug using neighbour perhaps? Recycle bin? ....all we're told is use your judgement which is great until the coke head denies accepting the parcel then its your fault.
not if its a safe place item it doesnt matter if its with al capone your covered
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: house alarm

Post by Lounge Lizard »

But a 'safe place' can only be somewhere locked or otherwise secure so there's no such thing as a 'safe place' for us. P739 every time. :nana
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: house alarm

Post by Caniel »

Argh! Never never doorstep or leave items in porches, sheds, bins etc. if it goes missing you're the one at fault and could lose your job! Don't give them ammunition, do the job properly.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: house alarm

Post by RobertT »

I have a house on my walk that has no letterbox at all and the only place to put any mail, parcels, papers, etc is to open the permanently unlocked porch door and throw them in.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: house alarm

Post by bigcol »

RobertT wrote:I have a house on my walk that has no letterbox at all and the only place to put any mail, parcels, papers, etc is to open the permanently unlocked porch door and throw them in.

Knock on door, if noone answers, take back to office and write off. If someone answers, tell them they've got a week to put in a letter box or you're going to write all their mail off.
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Re: house alarm

Post by crazyshrew »

RobertT wrote:I have a house on my walk that has no letterbox at all and the only place to put any mail, parcels, papers, etc is to open the permanently unlocked porch door and throw them in.
we have a couple where the official delivery point for all mail is under a stone on the doorstep! plus several more make do with recycling bins or plastic storage containers. I'd say even an unlocked porch is a much more secure place to leave items than some places we HAVE to leave some mail
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: house alarm

Post by arnold cheshire »

crazyshrew wrote:
RobertT wrote:I have a house on my walk that has no letterbox at all and the only place to put any mail, parcels, papers, etc is to open the permanently unlocked porch door and throw them in.
we have a couple where the official delivery point for all mail is under a stone on the doorstep! plus several more make do with recycling bins or plastic storage containers. I'd say even an unlocked porch is a much more secure place to leave items than some places we HAVE to leave some mail
yes ive got one where you put mail in the recycling box and put the brick on top of it and an unlocked porch door with no letter box at least you can get packets easier
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: house alarm

Post by RobertT »

Come to think of it, I know of one place where the official arrangement is to put the mail in an upside down tupperware container with a brick on top.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here