ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
house alarm
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: house alarm
Just recently had to go into a couple of conduct cases regarding doorstepping. One item was left in an unlocked porch, that is regarded as unsecure. So if you want to keep your job don't leave anything, the customer will drop you right in it if something goes tits up whether you've been doing it for weeks/months/years.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
justdeno
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
- Gender: Female
Re: house alarm
So what happens when on the parcel it states safe place eg in porch or garage? 
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: house alarm
Doesn't matter. If it went missing the customer who is the intended recipient would still complain.justdeno wrote:So what happens when on the parcel it states safe place eg in porch or garage?
Unless they have signed a letter and sent it to the manager on record, always P739. It covers you.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: house alarm
safeplace tracked its okjustdeno wrote:So what happens when on the parcel it states safe place eg in porch or garage?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: house alarm
youve done nothing wrong trevtrevjim wrote:Today I had a parcel for a customer, it wasn't recorded or tracked and I would happily leave it by the door in the area the house is. However as the residents where out and they had a porch, I thought I would try the porch and leave it in there.
The door was unlocked so I popped the parcel in, however the moment I opened the porch door the house alarm went off! They and the neighbours where out so I couldnt do much so I just carried on and about 20 mins later the alarm was off and back to normal.
I've left parcels in porches many times and even have notes stuck on doors saying to do so on occasions.
Is this something we are allowed to do? (either way I won't be doing it on this house again!)
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: house alarm
who cares i was off quick strange stuffDB1100 wrote:There wasn't a big puddle of blood on the floor just inside was there?bringon4dayweeks wrote:i went to a house a few weeks ago and the door was ajar and nobody answered so i left a p739 why leave your front door open if your not in ????trevjim wrote:Today I had a parcel for a customer, it wasn't recorded or tracked and I would happily leave it by the door in the area the house is. However as the residents where out and they had a porch, I thought I would try the porch and leave it in there.
The door was unlocked so I popped the parcel in, however the moment I opened the porch door the house alarm went off! They and the neighbours where out so I couldnt do much so I just carried on and about 20 mins later the alarm was off and back to normal.
I've left parcels in porches many times and even have notes stuck on doors saying to do so on occasions.
Is this something we are allowed to do? (either way I won't be doing it on this house again!)
-
Jynxx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 198
- Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 16:48
- Gender: Male
Re: house alarm
Surely if this is the case RM should stop putting "leave in a safe place" on tracked items? They've never once explained what a 'safe' place is....the drug using neighbour perhaps? Recycle bin? ....all we're told is use your judgement which is great until the coke head denies accepting the parcel then its your fault.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: house alarm
not if its a safe place item it doesnt matter if its with al capone your coveredJynxx wrote:Surely if this is the case RM should stop putting "leave in a safe place" on tracked items? They've never once explained what a 'safe' place is....the drug using neighbour perhaps? Recycle bin? ....all we're told is use your judgement which is great until the coke head denies accepting the parcel then its your fault.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: house alarm
But a 'safe place' can only be somewhere locked or otherwise secure so there's no such thing as a 'safe place' for us. P739 every time. 
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: house alarm
Argh! Never never doorstep or leave items in porches, sheds, bins etc. if it goes missing you're the one at fault and could lose your job! Don't give them ammunition, do the job properly.
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6703
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: house alarm
I have a house on my walk that has no letterbox at all and the only place to put any mail, parcels, papers, etc is to open the permanently unlocked porch door and throw them in.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
bigcol
- Posts: 404
- Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: Officially the worst DO
Re: house alarm
RobertT wrote:I have a house on my walk that has no letterbox at all and the only place to put any mail, parcels, papers, etc is to open the permanently unlocked porch door and throw them in.
Knock on door, if noone answers, take back to office and write off. If someone answers, tell them they've got a week to put in a letter box or you're going to write all their mail off.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Re: house alarm
we have a couple where the official delivery point for all mail is under a stone on the doorstep! plus several more make do with recycling bins or plastic storage containers. I'd say even an unlocked porch is a much more secure place to leave items than some places we HAVE to leave some mailRobertT wrote:I have a house on my walk that has no letterbox at all and the only place to put any mail, parcels, papers, etc is to open the permanently unlocked porch door and throw them in.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: house alarm
yes ive got one where you put mail in the recycling box and put the brick on top of it and an unlocked porch door with no letter box at least you can get packets easiercrazyshrew wrote:we have a couple where the official delivery point for all mail is under a stone on the doorstep! plus several more make do with recycling bins or plastic storage containers. I'd say even an unlocked porch is a much more secure place to leave items than some places we HAVE to leave some mailRobertT wrote:I have a house on my walk that has no letterbox at all and the only place to put any mail, parcels, papers, etc is to open the permanently unlocked porch door and throw them in.
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6703
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: house alarm
Come to think of it, I know of one place where the official arrangement is to put the mail in an upside down tupperware container with a brick on top.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here