You make a lot of valid points.NWpostie wrote:Thanks for the compliment Cloherty.
Some of these people have been institutionalised and don't know anything outside of Royal Mail, there are some individuals that are unemployable outside of RM they wouldn't last 5 seconds in the real world, there is a way of making the job better for yourself and that is by doing it properly, if everybody did it from day one, there is absolutely nothing they can do about it, privatisation probably would never have been considered in the light of it, the "way backward" would never been raised, more staff would have been employed to take up the excess work.
Unfortunately there will still be those that will ruin the job, making it unbearable for others who would have done the job properly, many people have different ways of coping with stress, the managers knows their weakness and is exploiting it to the full, in many way I perceive RM workplace as a continuation of the school playground, with the usual cliques, bullies and those that just tries to get on.
As a young pupI used to fly around, use my car, ghosted OT, came in a bit earlier, one day when the rules changed, no more job and knock, that was the day I stopped and took a step back and really looked at the big picture, especially having seen some really good people sacked, that my attitude to the job changed, I realised I am just a number, I am expendable, there are worse jobs out there and lower pay, so my priority is to preserve my job and the paycheck that comes with it, I advise others not to play the mugs game unfortunately some of them won't listen.
I think those that moan are doing so because they compare the job as it was years ago. The difference between now and then is quite surprising.
However, compared to other jobs, where people get minimum wage, which is about £125 pw less than an RM FT job, and in the case of, for example, supermarkets, where staff get a 5 over 7 contract(work 5 out of 7 which can change at a moments notice) and have to work on Bank Holidays with no day in lieu given back.
If staff were to leave and manage to get a job elsewhere, then they would really know how well off they were at RM.
I have had a few people leave from my office and severely regret it very quickly, advising me to stay where I am for as long as I can.
It's not the job that I, and many others, have a problem with. It's managers and how they and RM treat us that is the real issue.