ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
carpathia_kuja
Posts: 86
Joined: 19 Apr 2009, 20:24
Gender: Male
Location: Toon

Re: Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Post by carpathia_kuja »

Lee Best wrote:Hi.

I failed my driving/ changeover test today. Abosultey gutted as im normally a good driver. Just was really nervous and these nerves really affected me today.

The manager didnt seem to impressed.
And im really scared of losing my job. Which will be a shame as i love being a postie.

Just wondering could i face the sack? Will i maybe get another chance?

Think if i did have another shot at it id be less nervous and should pass.

Has anyone here failed it the 1st time and was given another chance?
I failed my first changeover test because the dickhead that did the test expected me to be the best driver in the world. He also failed a lot of others at my d.o so my manager at the time got rid of him and got in another guy to do the tests and everything was fine. We did our change over in 2010 and I've not had a single bump just like i haven't in my car. Don't worry about it mate and you will pass the next chance you get.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

carpathia_kuja wrote:
Lee Best wrote:Hi.

I failed my driving/ changeover test today. Abosultey gutted as im normally a good driver. Just was really nervous and these nerves really affected me today.

The manager didnt seem to impressed.
And im really scared of losing my job. Which will be a shame as i love being a postie.

Just wondering could i face the sack? Will i maybe get another chance?

Think if i did have another shot at it id be less nervous and should pass.

Has anyone here failed it the 1st time and was given another chance?
I failed my first changeover test because the dickhead that did the test expected me to be the best driver in the world. He also failed a lot of others at my d.o so my manager at the time got rid of him and got in another guy to do the tests and everything was fine. We did our change over in 2010 and I've not had a single bump just like i haven't in my car. Don't worry about it mate and you will pass the next chance you get.
You should also remember that it costs RM about £150 per test, so there is something in it for the person doing the test, more money if they fail you for a second test.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Post by korky »

OnAFlyer wrote:
korky wrote:is it going to be that much of a problem not driving?
my p'looper just had a week off and they covered him with a driver so i let him chauffeur me about and it was bliss.
no darting about to get rid of specials and big parcels, odd 5 minute break waiting to be picked up.
amazing what extra the driver does compared to a non driver, and for no extra cost!
The loops or workload are wrong then, you should do an equal amount whether driver or walker.
not necessarily as it usually works spot on with my regular, i do have a smaller loop half way through to allow me to chalk off a few parcels/SD
either way, its less hassle been the non driver
cyberheater
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 274
Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 18:36
Gender: Male

Re: Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Post by cyberheater »

OnAFlyer wrote:
SF wrote:The changeovers are different now. When I joined 5 years ago I went for a 15 minute drive around town. Now though, I believe it's a 3.5 hour assessment.

Did you do 3.5 hours lee? If so, no shame at all. That's a long assessment!

And they can't sack you. You have your driving license. It's Royal Mail who is choosing to put you through their tests.
Most of that 3.5hrs is spent on the computer, and it doesn't take anywhere near as long as you're given. The computer part took me about an hour if that and the driving was 45 minutes or so, really basic stuff like driving forwards and reversing around a corner.

This was around 2 years ago, the new starters in my office have said its the same now.
I took the new test. It was 3.5 hours of solid driving. Motorways, country lanes, reversing etc... It was tough.
JiminyBillyBob
Posts: 177
Joined: 26 Jun 2012, 21:06
Gender: Male

Re: Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Post by JiminyBillyBob »

cyberheater wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
SF wrote:The changeovers are different now. When I joined 5 years ago I went for a 15 minute drive around town. Now though, I believe it's a 3.5 hour assessment.

Did you do 3.5 hours lee? If so, no shame at all. That's a long assessment!

And they can't sack you. You have your driving license. It's Royal Mail who is choosing to put you through their tests.
Most of that 3.5hrs is spent on the computer, and it doesn't take anywhere near as long as you're given. The computer part took me about an hour if that and the driving was 45 minutes or so, really basic stuff like driving forwards and reversing around a corner.

This was around 2 years ago, the new starters in my office have said its the same now.
I took the new test. It was 3.5 hours of solid driving. Motorways, country lanes, reversing etc... It was tough.
s**t! I would fail that if its to test standers, haven't reversed round a corner since my driving test, many years ago! and forget about parallel parking! :shock:
SF
Posts: 183
Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 23:30
Gender: Male
Location: Midlands.

Re: Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Post by SF »

OnAFlyer wrote:
SF wrote:The changeovers are different now. When I joined 5 years ago I went for a 15 minute drive around town. Now though, I believe it's a 3.5 hour assessment.

Did you do 3.5 hours lee? If so, no shame at all. That's a long assessment!

And they can't sack you. You have your driving license. It's Royal Mail who is choosing to put you through their tests.
Most of that 3.5hrs is spent on the computer, and it doesn't take anywhere near as long as you're given. The computer part took me about an hour if that and the driving was 45 minutes or so, really basic stuff like driving forwards and reversing around a corner.

This was around 2 years ago, the new starters in my office have said its the same now.
That's not the case at our office. It's 3.5 hours solid driving, 30 minutes on the computer. That's with AA. Several of my colleagues have done it. Said they were absolutely knackered afterwards.
Jimmcguinn
Posts: 63
Joined: 03 Apr 2008, 21:22
Gender: Male

Re: Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Post by Jimmcguinn »

I've got my driving test tommorrow,only thing is its my day off.
Do I need to wear my uniform and will I be paid?
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Jimmcguinn wrote:I've got my driving test tommorrow,only thing is its my day off.
Do I need to wear my uniform and will I be paid?
I'd say yes to both. If your manager says you aren't going to be paid, don't take the test and go home. They should never have arranged it on your day off.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
SF
Posts: 183
Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 23:30
Gender: Male
Location: Midlands.

Re: Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Post by SF »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
Jimmcguinn wrote:I've got my driving test tommorrow,only thing is its my day off.
Do I need to wear my uniform and will I be paid?
I'd say yes to both. If your manager says you aren't going to be paid, don't take the test and go home. They should never have arranged it on your day off.
Don't forget to claim the petrol money for making you drive in for no reason!
Jimmcguinn
Posts: 63
Joined: 03 Apr 2008, 21:22
Gender: Male

Re: Failed my Driving/ Changeover test

Post by Jimmcguinn »

Cheers guys.