ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Get rid of senior staff

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Wessex
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1267
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 17:20

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by Wessex »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Wessex wrote:A lot of this debate really does come down to a misconception held by many Royal Mail staff that fastest , in particular fastest finishing , somehow equals better.(Although rarely are they quick on ips)
In my penultimate office I was having a lot of unwanted hassle from some of my neighbouring posties so in order to dent their egos, I merely picked up both my sorting and prepping speeds.I was first out of the office every day, they really could not understand it .A sympathetic colleague told me how angry they wereeach morning after I had left :Very Happy .In those times it was still job and finish so I was always finished first.Was I really the better postman ? because I finished first ?
The odd thing is I get the same reaction from my wife as I always finish before she does :cuppa :cool
Perhaps you need to help her with her prepping ,I'm assuming she's also a postie , that way way she'll be ready to go also when you are ready to deliver. :crazy:
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by Pinky 1 »

Wessex wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Wessex wrote:A lot of this debate really does come down to a misconception held by many Royal Mail staff that fastest , in particular fastest finishing , somehow equals better.(Although rarely are they quick on ips)
In my penultimate office I was having a lot of unwanted hassle from some of my neighbouring posties so in order to dent their egos, I merely picked up both my sorting and prepping speeds.I was first out of the office every day, they really could not understand it .A sympathetic colleague told me how angry they wereeach morning after I had left :Very Happy .In those times it was still job and finish so I was always finished first.Was I really the better postman ? because I finished first ?
The odd thing is I get the same reaction from my wife as I always finish before she does :cuppa :cool
Perhaps you need to help her with her prepping ,I'm assuming she's also a postie , that way way she'll be ready to go also when you are ready to deliver. :crazy:
Wessex, i think you're missing the point entirely :oops: :chuckle
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
Wessex
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1267
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 17:20

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by Wessex »

:wink:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by dvbuk55 »

Pinky 1 wrote:
Wessex wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Wessex wrote:A lot of this debate really does come down to a misconception held by many Royal Mail staff that fastest , in particular fastest finishing , somehow equals better.(Although rarely are they quick on ips)
In my penultimate office I was having a lot of unwanted hassle from some of my neighbouring posties so in order to dent their egos, I merely picked up both my sorting and prepping speeds.I was first out of the office every day, they really could not understand it .A sympathetic colleague told me how angry they wereeach morning after I had left :Very Happy .In those times it was still job and finish so I was always finished first.Was I really the better postman ? because I finished first ?
The odd thing is I get the same reaction from my wife as I always finish before she does :cuppa :cool
Perhaps you need to help her with her prepping ,I'm assuming she's also a postie , that way way she'll be ready to go also when you are ready to deliver. :crazy:
Wessex, i think you're missing the point entirely :oops: :chuckle
Erm no she's not a postie :oops: ............now about this prepping........I can't say I've ever been a fan......... :whistle
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Crammypostie1
You haven't answered me. You scared or something?
Beginning to think you're trying to get at TBT. He seems to be the only one you whinge at, and you only mention others who agree with you.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
motch
Posts: 332
Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
Gender: Male

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by motch »

fishtank wrote:Give the fastest more work to do.
How hard is this?
If you really wanted to you could pay an incentive but you have to be able to protect quality and safety at the same time.

That's how any business deals with over performers,you don't give them the cushy jobs,what's the point in having "super postie crammy" sitting on a cushy job getting lazy?

You give them more work and utilise their particular skill set until they burn out then you replace them with a younger,fitter "super postie crammy".
that's one of the best post's on this thread, nicely summed up.
LinChong
Posts: 229
Joined: 27 Sep 2012, 09:07
Gender: Male

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by LinChong »

Someone may have been born more capable and/or they may have had better education and training. They may come from an immigrant background with a culture that the only way to get employed is to be cheaper and more productive.

Should we blame people for holding the unreasonable belief that hard work will be rewarded?

For some people, the concept of luck is so disturbing they have to believe an alternative explanation that is clearly false but allows them to think they have some control.

The message to all employees is:

"Don't work too hard. Only work a reasonable rate. Over productive workers just get exploited. Save your energy for your family and hobbies."
crammypostie1
Posts: 187
Joined: 31 Mar 2013, 21:45
Gender: Male
Location: Cumbria

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by crammypostie1 »

LinChong wrote:Someone may have been born more capable and/or they may have had better education and training. They may come from an immigrant background with a culture that the only way to get employed is to be cheaper and more productive.

Should we blame people for holding the unreasonable belief that hard work will be rewarded?

For some people, the concept of luck is so disturbing they have to believe an alternative explanation that is clearly false but allows them to think they have some control.

The message to all employees is:

"Don't work too hard. Only work a reasonable rate. Over productive workers just get exploited. Save your energy for your family and hobbies."
This is what ill do in future.... close thread thanks :wave
motch
Posts: 332
Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
Gender: Male

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by motch »

crammypostie1 wrote:
LinChong wrote:Someone may have been born more capable and/or they may have had better education and training. They may come from an immigrant background with a culture that the only way to get employed is to be cheaper and more productive.

Should we blame people for holding the unreasonable belief that hard work will be rewarded?

For some people, the concept of luck is so disturbing they have to believe an alternative explanation that is clearly false but allows them to think they have some control.

The message to all employees is:

"Don't work too hard. Only work a reasonable rate. Over productive workers just get exploited. Save your energy for your family and hobbies."
another good post. I love it when I say I'll go at a normal/decent/reasonable pace the manager takes that as slow. :left:
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by hampshireman »

crammypostie1 wrote:I believe that efficient workers should get first choice... if say X senior posty can prep in say 700 items into his frame (best duty in office thats why say he picked it) and a guy below him can sort in say 1500 items in same time..... who is more worthy of that duty when 1 is doing the job better? Why is it that senior posties can go over the own time on good duties whilst less senior posties finish well on time doing jobs propery. I know there are alot of heal draggers on delivery and alot know how to play the sysytem, and to be honest you all know who you/they are. We all have them in our offices. Its just i see some guys who dont run, and use royal mail bikes finish an hour before there time, yet senior posties take there cars... which is quicker to and from office and go 2 hours over the top on a similar days work. Why a 3 hour difference? As i said above... playing the game and milking it.

I believe that we should all be tagged... with gps etc to show our whereabouts, and how long we were stationary etc, this stops chatting for too long to any joe bloggs and shows average walk speed and if staff are up to standard. I for one would like to think i could do it, being in my late 30s. But to do this you would get every1 compliaining.

This is just a job at the end of the day, if it gets privitisied then so be it, there are many folk that have jobs in supermarkets, cleaners, petrol stations, if you are not happy with the way royalmail is going, then theres always directgov.co.uk for looking for a new job.

:wave
What a fantastic idea; to GPS attach posties. I'd do that .. They would notice I arrive on time. Against some mythical time that others arrive at. I start at 8am. People are going out at my start time. And I am questioned as to why I cannot complete.

BTW Crammy; I am 58, so fit into your shoot the older posties envelope.
spoodoo
Posts: 829
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by spoodoo »

Can't believe this threads still going,,,
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by arnold cheshire »

spoodoo wrote:Can't believe this threads still going,,,
i love this thread you can be a senior man and only 35 years of age
motch
Posts: 332
Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
Gender: Male

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by motch »

spoodoo wrote:Can't believe this threads still going,,,
lots of feeding been going on.
gazzariah
Posts: 126
Joined: 22 Nov 2009, 13:20
Gender: Male

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by gazzariah »

tosser, what with the govt making people work longer and these old boys giving many years of graft are you a dom or lino? :no no
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Get rid of senior staff

Post by dvbuk55 »

gazzariah wrote:tosser, what with the govt making people work longer and these old boys giving many years of graft are you a dom or lino? :no no
You tell 'im gazza, I'm practically on my chinstrap as it is, yet the pension gets further and further away, the candle and the crust is just around the corner.