I can and have passed the 1 minute test.crammypostie1 wrote:would love to know the true percentage of what staff can actually hit the royal mail indoor work sorting standards
The IWT is not an individual test.
and why not do a FOI request.
I can and have passed the 1 minute test.crammypostie1 wrote:would love to know the true percentage of what staff can actually hit the royal mail indoor work sorting standards
Could have made so many more spelling/grammar corrections.crammypostie1 wrote:Lets debate this..... when all senior posties had it easy during the first and second delivery... we were all laughing, now we all do a proper days graft, and admit it, the guys and gals that struggle most are the most senior staff. Dont get me wrong, most staff are cracking people, but alot are a waste of royal mails resourses.
First off, spelling. (resourCes). Senior staff don't struggle as a whole, they don't allow themselves to be bullied into working themselves into an early grave. And how can you say we all do a proper days graft whilst implying, in the same sentence, that senior staff are lazy/incapable of doing just that?
I just have the opinion that office based roles and out door walks should be based on performance. Senior staff and the majority of them are not as productive as many of the younger staff. We all get paid the same. No we don't. New starters are on less money, albeit temporarily.
So we should all get treated(grammar!) the same. So seniority should be scrapped and us all put on a level playing field. I just dont understand how, i'll make a point... and here it is.... how a senior staff can sort X amount of letters per min whilst a younger member of staff can sort much more hearsay is not eveidence.... yet senior staff get the better FT contracts due to seniority. I assume by this you mean better duties, with allowances etc.. This should be performance basedCare to explain how?... Now if you all had a company, would you want to hire an older guy at same pay as a younger guy though younger guy does same job but much more efficient? Yes, as then I couldn't be taken to court for age discrimination.
I know alot of members on here are of the older generation, and dont get me wrong i come across as im trying to wind you all up, but actually im not, im just strong in my beliefs that seniority is wrong, and i hope it gets scrapped. I do believe that when we get 20 years down the line, the newer staff of today and say last 5 years will take over and have this company running better... no hand backs, faster sorting and prep etc. No they won't. Most will have been let go by then to be replaced by younger, cheaper employees (or not at all), or will have run themselves ragged and will have been given IHR and gotten rid of.
If you want a true debate with me on this issue as above poster suggested then ill debate. No wind ups, but what i have said here are my true beliefs
DEBATE
No its not unfair, and No I don't hold it against anyone - there are plenty of younger posties here who have more seniority than me, in fact reading between the lines Crammy would be senior to meUnhappyGremlin wrote:TrueBlueTerrier is, I believe, approx. 15 years older than me, but I am SENIOR to him. Does he hold that against me? Does he view that as unfair? That a younger man can get a job he may want, just down to seniority. I'll let him post and tell you.
I agree its not a totally fair system - but still you haven't answered the questions how and what you would replace it with that is both fair and seen to be fair, for duties that are essentially the same, and all the applicants have the same skill set required for the task.crammypostie1 wrote:to an extent seniority is discriminating, choosing 1 person over an other on time served is not a fair system
If it was my company I would pick the cheapest , perhaps someone who does not complain too much and won't cause industrial unrest so probably a foreigner who will work for minimum wage and hopefully will perform unpaid o/t and not take the breaks they are entitled to.crammypostie1 wrote:On a note on getting rid of seniority... and managers pick there favs and best workers.... if this was YOUR company and i know it isnt.... who would you pick to work the best duties... and keep in the company... aguy X who is more efficient and fitter and younger or guy Y that is senior and does nt do the work guy X does....
Answers on back of a postcard and send up to the north west of cumbria for me to read thanks
This will happen when privitisation comes into effectWessex wrote:If it was my company I would pick the cheapest , perhaps someone who does not complain too much and won't cause industrial unrest so probably a foreigner who will work for minimum wage and hopefully will perform unpaid o/t and not take the breaks they are entitled to.crammypostie1 wrote:On a note on getting rid of seniority... and managers pick there favs and best workers.... if this was YOUR company and i know it isnt.... who would you pick to work the best duties... and keep in the company... aguy X who is more efficient and fitter and younger or guy Y that is senior and does nt do the work guy X does....
Answers on back of a postcard and send up to the north west of cumbria for me to read thanksI expect you fit the bill as well for most of that Crammy so I will make you supervisor on an extra 10p an hour.
Thats not efficiency thats speed. Just because someone sorts fast doesn't mean they are accurate. The faster sorter in our office is also the one who missorts most go figure.crammypostie1 wrote:I believe that efficient workers should get first choice... if say X senior posty can prep in say 700 items into his frame (best duty in office thats why say he picked it) and a guy below him can sort in say 1500 items in same time.....
Again he is doing it faster not better you would have to include accuracy as well. Also wouldn't you have to include how many complaints/praise from customers, Mis-deliveries and missorts, getting signatures when needed, doorstepping incidents, delivery to a neighbour scheme problem with most of those is that they are subjective and difficult to quantify. What if they brought a literacy test into the mix.crammypostie1 wrote: who is more worthy of that duty when 1 is doing the job better?
Because people work at different paces and speeds and its discriminatory to make any job selection primarily based on age - it has to be based on an average healthy worker up to retirement age.crammypostie1 wrote:Why is it that senior posties can go over the own time on good duties whilst less senior posties finish well on time doing jobs propery.
Heal dragger's - are they first aiders with really big bags,crammypostie1 wrote: I know there are alot of heal draggers on delivery and alot know how to play the sysytem,
See abovecrammypostie1 wrote:and to be honest you all know who you/they are. We all have them in our offices. Its just i see some guys who dont run, and use royal mail bikes finish an hour before there time, yet senior posties take there cars... which is quicker to and from office and go 2 hours over the top on a similar days work. Why a 3 hour difference? As i said above... playing the game and milking it.
Why would anyone complain. Also this is the reason sometimes I question if you are going to debate, or if you are a real postie.crammypostie1 wrote:I believe that we should all be tagged... with gps etc to show our whereabouts, and how long we were stationary etc, this stops chatting for too long to any joe bloggs and shows average walk speed and if staff are up to standard. I for one would like to think i could do it, being in my late 30s. But to do this you would get every1 compliaining.
Right back at you if you are not happy with the waycrammypostie1 wrote:This is just a job at the end of the day, if it gets privitisied then so be it, there are many folk that have jobs in supermarkets, cleaners, petrol stations, if you are not happy with the way royalmail is going, then theres always directgov.co.uk for looking for a new job.![]()
The odd thing is I get the same reaction from my wife as I always finish before she doesWessex wrote:A lot of this debate really does come down to a misconception held by many Royal Mail staff that fastest , in particular fastest finishing , somehow equals better.(Although rarely are they quick on ips)
In my penultimate office I was having a lot of unwanted hassle from some of my neighbouring posties so in order to dent their egos, I merely picked up both my sorting and prepping speeds.I was first out of the office every day, they really could not understand it .A sympathetic colleague told me how angry they wereeach morning after I had left.In those times it was still job and finish so I was always finished first.Was I really the better postman ? because I finished first ?