ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
raws
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 20:55
Gender: Male

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by raws »

I understand being a postman is a hard job ,but having been a bricklayer for 15 years working long shifts in all shite weather I like the idea of 20 hours week posting mail rather than full time on a building site.still any advise on getting through the online test would be really helpfull.cheers
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by dvbuk55 »

What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young forever :sad:
HeilMoya
Posts: 48
Joined: 26 May 2010, 16:23
Gender: Male

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by HeilMoya »

raws wrote:Hi.I've twice applied for 2 postman jobs with royal mail and both times failed after taking online talent q questionnaire and test.with the test I will have scored high as I found it quite easy but with the multiple choice questionnaire I have no idea how I did as you are given no feedback.I'm 40 years old and have been a bricklayer most of my working life.can any one give me any help in getting past this first stage please as I am really keen on becoming a postman.thanks
I tried one of these out of interest for a position somewhere else. I'm already a postman. Needless to say I failed it :left: Accurate assessments? I think not :cuppa
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by fb1969 »

Which part of the tests is it? From what I remember there was the accuracy check (phoen numbers, post codes etc) and the "personality" one. I was surprsied that I came out of the personality one sounded like an outgoing person who'd be the first to organise parties and the like (reality couldn't further from the truth). I guess I was giving the answers that I thought they wanted, rather than the ones that were nearer to the truth!
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
monkeymutha
Posts: 317
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:00
Gender: Female
Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by monkeymutha »

If you start at RM you will be on a three month renewable contract. Bear in mind you will be aware that your contract could end any time and for this reason you will be treated like s**t by the managers who will take the piss out of you and expect you to work every hour under the sun. Probably gets easier when you are on a permanent contract but hey I am still waiting for this and it's been 2.5 years :(
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by DB1100 »

dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young forever :sad:
True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"
For we were soldiers once,and young
Dj Silver
Posts: 65
Joined: 14 Nov 2011, 10:45
Gender: Male
Location: Not sure my Sat Nav is down

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by Dj Silver »

monkeymutha wrote:If you start at RM you will be on a three month renewable contract. Bear in mind you will be aware that your contract could end any time and for this reason you will be treated like s**t by the managers who will take the piss out of you and expect you to work every hour under the sun. Probably gets easier when you are on a permanent contract but hey I am still waiting for this and it's been 2.5 years :(
Not necessarily so. I started in January on a 24 hour permanent contract.
Somebody called me a cult the other day, well I think that was what he said!
monkeymutha
Posts: 317
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:00
Gender: Female
Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by monkeymutha »

Dj Silver wrote:
monkeymutha wrote:If you start at RM you will be on a three month renewable contract. Bear in mind you will be aware that your contract could end any time and for this reason you will be treated like s**t by the managers who will take the piss out of you and expect you to work every hour under the sun. Probably gets easier when you are on a permanent contract but hey I am still waiting for this and it's been 2.5 years :(
Not necessarily so. I started in January on a 24 hour permanent contract.
Didn't think they did this anymore. Fair play I stand corrected if that's the case.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by dvbuk55 »

DB1100 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young forever :sad:
True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"
:hmmmm I don't know about that DB, but me, my two brothers and two nephews have served more than 100 years between us from the 50s to today. I don't consider others to be less because they didn't experience what a serviceman experiences, I only know it was a great life changing experience for me.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dvbuk55 wrote:
DB1100 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young forever :sad:
True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"
:hmmmm I don't know about that DB, but me, my two brothers and two nephews have served more than 100 years between us from the 50s to today. I don't consider others to be less because they didn't experience what a serviceman experiences, I only know it was a great life changing experience for me.
I like the another one and ifI may be allowed to Paraphrase.

A Posties time is passed in distress and danger, and a bad managers in idleness and corruption.

The original phrase is:

"A soldier's time is passed in distress and danger, or in idleness and corruption."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
DB1100 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young forever :sad:
True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"
:hmmmm I don't know about that DB, but me, my two brothers and two nephews have served more than 100 years between us from the 50s to today. I don't consider others to be less because they didn't experience what a serviceman experiences, I only know it was a great life changing experience for me.
I like the another one and ifI may be allowed to Paraphrase.

A Posties time is passed in distress and danger, and a bad managers in idleness and corruption.

The original phrase is:

"A soldier's time is passed in distress and danger, or in idleness and corruption."
:chuckle Now that explains my lazy idle ways............the corruption :hmmmm well I suppose I could be if the incentive was there. The incentive? my lips are sealed :cuppa
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by DB1100 »

dvbuk55 wrote:
DB1100 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young forever :sad:
True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"
:hmmmm I don't know about that DB, but me, my two brothers and two nephews have served more than 100 years between us from the 50s to today. I don't consider others to be less because they didn't experience what a serviceman experiences, I only know it was a great life changing experience for me.
No I don't dvbuk55,but I must also agree it was a fantastic experience for me ,joined up as a boy soldier at 16,grew up fast.
For we were soldiers once,and young
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application

Post by dvbuk55 »

DB1100 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
DB1100 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young forever :sad:
True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"
:hmmmm I don't know about that DB, but me, my two brothers and two nephews have served more than 100 years between us from the 50s to today. I don't consider others to be less because they didn't experience what a serviceman experiences, I only know it was a great life changing experience for me.
No I don't dvbuk55,but I must also agree it was a fantastic experience for me ,joined up as a boy soldier at 16,grew up fast.
Yes me too as did my elder brother - it certainly teaches you to be a team player and face whatever comes your way and still have a smile on your face even when the s**t does hit the fan. :Very Happy