ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
help,advise on unsuccessfull application
-
raws
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 20:55
- Gender: Male
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
I understand being a postman is a hard job ,but having been a bricklayer for 15 years working long shifts in all shite weather I like the idea of 20 hours week posting mail rather than full time on a building site.still any advise on getting through the online test would be really helpfull.cheers
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young forever 
-
HeilMoya
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 26 May 2010, 16:23
- Gender: Male
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
I tried one of these out of interest for a position somewhere else. I'm already a postman. Needless to say I failed itraws wrote:Hi.I've twice applied for 2 postman jobs with royal mail and both times failed after taking online talent q questionnaire and test.with the test I will have scored high as I found it quite easy but with the multiple choice questionnaire I have no idea how I did as you are given no feedback.I'm 40 years old and have been a bricklayer most of my working life.can any one give me any help in getting past this first stage please as I am really keen on becoming a postman.thanks
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
Which part of the tests is it? From what I remember there was the accuracy check (phoen numbers, post codes etc) and the "personality" one. I was surprsied that I came out of the personality one sounded like an outgoing person who'd be the first to organise parties and the like (reality couldn't further from the truth). I guess I was giving the answers that I thought they wanted, rather than the ones that were nearer to the truth!
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
monkeymutha
- Posts: 317
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:00
- Gender: Female
- Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
If you start at RM you will be on a three month renewable contract. Bear in mind you will be aware that your contract could end any time and for this reason you will be treated like s**t by the managers who will take the piss out of you and expect you to work every hour under the sun. Probably gets easier when you are on a permanent contract but hey I am still waiting for this and it's been 2.5 years :(
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young forever
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Dj Silver
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 14 Nov 2011, 10:45
- Gender: Male
- Location: Not sure my Sat Nav is down
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
Not necessarily so. I started in January on a 24 hour permanent contract.monkeymutha wrote:If you start at RM you will be on a three month renewable contract. Bear in mind you will be aware that your contract could end any time and for this reason you will be treated like s**t by the managers who will take the piss out of you and expect you to work every hour under the sun. Probably gets easier when you are on a permanent contract but hey I am still waiting for this and it's been 2.5 years :(
Somebody called me a cult the other day, well I think that was what he said!
-
monkeymutha
- Posts: 317
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:00
- Gender: Female
- Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
Didn't think they did this anymore. Fair play I stand corrected if that's the case.Dj Silver wrote:Not necessarily so. I started in January on a 24 hour permanent contract.monkeymutha wrote:If you start at RM you will be on a three month renewable contract. Bear in mind you will be aware that your contract could end any time and for this reason you will be treated like s**t by the managers who will take the piss out of you and expect you to work every hour under the sun. Probably gets easier when you are on a permanent contract but hey I am still waiting for this and it's been 2.5 years :(
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
DB1100 wrote:True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young forever
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72767
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
I like the another one and ifI may be allowed to Paraphrase.dvbuk55 wrote:DB1100 wrote:True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young foreverI don't know about that DB, but me, my two brothers and two nephews have served more than 100 years between us from the 50s to today. I don't consider others to be less because they didn't experience what a serviceman experiences, I only know it was a great life changing experience for me.
A Posties time is passed in distress and danger, and a bad managers in idleness and corruption.
The original phrase is:
"A soldier's time is passed in distress and danger, or in idleness and corruption."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I like the another one and ifI may be allowed to Paraphrase.dvbuk55 wrote:DB1100 wrote:True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young foreverI don't know about that DB, but me, my two brothers and two nephews have served more than 100 years between us from the 50s to today. I don't consider others to be less because they didn't experience what a serviceman experiences, I only know it was a great life changing experience for me.
A Posties time is passed in distress and danger, and a bad managers in idleness and corruption.
The original phrase is:
"A soldier's time is passed in distress and danger, or in idleness and corruption."
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
No I don't dvbuk55,but I must also agree it was a fantastic experience for me ,joined up as a boy soldier at 16,grew up fast.dvbuk55 wrote:DB1100 wrote:True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young foreverI don't know about that DB, but me, my two brothers and two nephews have served more than 100 years between us from the 50s to today. I don't consider others to be less because they didn't experience what a serviceman experiences, I only know it was a great life changing experience for me.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: help,advise on unsuccessfull application
Yes me too as did my elder brother - it certainly teaches you to be a team player and face whatever comes your way and still have a smile on your face even when the s**t does hit the fan.DB1100 wrote:No I don't dvbuk55,but I must also agree it was a fantastic experience for me ,joined up as a boy soldier at 16,grew up fast.dvbuk55 wrote:DB1100 wrote:True, unfortunately,I forget the exact words but there is a saying"every man thinks less of himself for not going to sea or being a soldier"dvbuk55 wrote:What could be better than the Army when you are young? You get to play with real weapons, be aggressive all the time, pretty much looked after if you get caught in a slightly unlawful act............trouble is you don't stay young foreverI don't know about that DB, but me, my two brothers and two nephews have served more than 100 years between us from the 50s to today. I don't consider others to be less because they didn't experience what a serviceman experiences, I only know it was a great life changing experience for me.