ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

privitisation/park and loop

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
newtimes
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 595
Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
Gender: Male

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by newtimes »

Reading the different posts, some p&l work others are a total nightmare. We have gone through a revision and all what they did was to join 4 deliveries into 2 deliveries and then made it P&L. It was voted in because most of the deliveries were not changed so the majority wanted it to get the payment. Its a total mess and the manager has now left. Its only working because of people coming in early, taking short cuts and using their own cars. Our revision is a failure due to the structure and not due to the concept. The structure failed due to weak leadership, will it improve with privatisation, I do not know but it will be linked to the framework of the delivery structure.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

The core problem is three-fold, most walks were created around the quiet "model week" period so that nobody would finish rediculously early around late July (instead of basing walk size on average day workloads and lapsing during the quiet periods); while management naively think that pushing a ~35Kg LWT (32Kg mail plus trolley frame) or a 104/125Kg HCT (~75Kg mail plus trolley weight) is no slower than carrying 16/11Kg pouches on the shoulder; with attendence packet call rates even outside Xmas now way beyond the model 3%.
pokos27
Posts: 657
Joined: 15 Apr 2010, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by pokos27 »

it will be called tnt, conditions will be crap
Danelectro
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by Danelectro »

fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:One postie - one High Capacity Trolley (MK 2), with proper vans to ensure conveyance out and back would work a lot better..
HCT's have huge terrain limitations,high maintenance costs and transferring them to and from vehicles should be avoided if possible because it's a high accident risk.
I don't think they are the solution either. :neutral:
the cost of getting planning permission from councils for the network of pouch boxes across the UK must have been phenomenal and I often think is there no way of finding a delivery system that can utilise that in some way and maybe greatly increase increase the size of some of the current boxes... The increase in vehicles used after a revision is incredible..i keep asking for figures for the transport costs before and after but of course nobody has a clue
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by fishtank »

Danelectro wrote:the cost of getting planning permission from councils for the network of pouch boxes across the UK must have been phenomenal and I often think is there no way of finding a delivery system that can utilise that in some way and maybe greatly increase increase the size of some of the current boxes... The increase in vehicles used after a revision is incredible..i keep asking for figures for the transport costs before and after but of course nobody has a clue
I think some kind of hybrid version of park&loop using the boxes and trolleys could work.
Support duties wouldn't be needed if your partner is in the area anyway delivering oversized packets and tracked.
They better hurry up though,two of my boxes have died since P&L came in.

Image :sad:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Danelectro
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by Danelectro »

fishtank wrote:
Danelectro wrote:the cost of getting planning permission from councils for the network of pouch boxes across the UK must have been phenomenal and I often think is there no way of finding a delivery system that can utilise that in some way and maybe greatly increase increase the size of some of the current boxes... The increase in vehicles used after a revision is incredible..i keep asking for figures for the transport costs before and after but of course nobody has a clue
I think some kind of hybrid version of park&loop using the boxes and trolleys could work.
Support duties wouldn't be needed if your partner is in the area anyway delivering oversized packets and tracked.
They better hurry up though,two of my boxes have died since P&L came in.

Image :sad:
gee! and its been painted red! very posh :chuckle
thefridge
Posts: 25
Joined: 17 Jan 2012, 11:01
Gender: Male

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by thefridge »

halfull wrote:when privatization comes park and loop will be no longer as its the single biggest failure in royal mail history. :cuppa
Its park and loop that will protect our jobs, idiot runners have done more harm over the years and I dare say still are in parts.
How can you call park and loop a failure when a look at the latest profits suggests otherwise...

Do your jobs properly, stop whining about having to work your full hours (some still do this I've heard) use the tools you've been given and stand up to managers who argue against you using methods we all agreed and your job will seem so much easier...
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

thefridge wrote:
halfull wrote:when privatization comes park and loop will be no longer as its the single biggest failure in royal mail history. :cuppa
Its park and loop that will protect our jobs, idiot runners have done more harm over the years and I dare say still are in parts.
How can you call park and loop a failure when a look at the latest profits suggests otherwise...
I suspect the real reason for profits is the exponential growth in packets, not P&L ;)
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16730
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by clashcityrocker »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
thefridge wrote:
halfull wrote:when privatization comes park and loop will be no longer as its the single biggest failure in royal mail history. :cuppa
Its park and loop that will protect our jobs, idiot runners have done more harm over the years and I dare say still are in parts.
How can you call park and loop a failure when a look at the latest profits suggests otherwise...
I suspect the real reason for profits is the exponential growth in packets, not P&L ;)
I suspect the real reason for profits is the sale of and merger of DOs and MCs.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
thefridge wrote:
halfull wrote:when privatization comes park and loop will be no longer as its the single biggest failure in royal mail history. :cuppa
Its park and loop that will protect our jobs, idiot runners have done more harm over the years and I dare say still are in parts.
How can you call park and loop a failure when a look at the latest profits suggests otherwise...
I suspect the real reason for profits is the exponential growth in packets, not P&L ;)
I suspect the real reason for profits is the sale of and merger of DOs and MCs.
I suspect the real reason for profits is not having to pay £250 million into the pension deficit.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
cyclemech1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 334
Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
Gender: Male

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by cyclemech1 »

fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
thefridge wrote:
halfull wrote:when privatization comes park and loop will be no longer as its the single biggest failure in royal mail history. :cuppa
Its park and loop that will protect our jobs, idiot runners have done more harm over the years and I dare say still are in parts.
How can you call park and loop a failure when a look at the latest profits suggests otherwise...
I suspect the real reason for profits is the exponential growth in packets, not P&L ;)
I suspect the real reason for profits is the sale of and merger of DOs and MCs.
I suspect the real reason for profits is not having to pay £250 million into the pension deficit.
I suspect the real reason for profits is the biggest rise in stamp prices ever.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

cyclemech1 wrote:
fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
thefridge wrote:
halfull wrote:when privatization comes park and loop will be no longer as its the single biggest failure in royal mail history. :cuppa
Its park and loop that will protect our jobs, idiot runners have done more harm over the years and I dare say still are in parts.
How can you call park and loop a failure when a look at the latest profits suggests otherwise...
I suspect the real reason for profits is the exponential growth in packets, not P&L ;)
I suspect the real reason for profits is the sale of and merger of DOs and MCs.
I suspect the real reason for profits is not having to pay £250 million into the pension deficit.
I suspect the real reason for profits is the biggest rise in stamp prices ever.
The 30% price rise in first-class stamps, and 39% rise for second-class, mark the biggest annual increase in percentage terms since 1975.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
cyclemech1 wrote:
fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
thefridge wrote:
halfull wrote:when privatization comes park and loop will be no longer as its the single biggest failure in royal mail history. :cuppa
Its park and loop that will protect our jobs, idiot runners have done more harm over the years and I dare say still are in parts.
How can you call park and loop a failure when a look at the latest profits suggests otherwise...
I suspect the real reason for profits is the exponential growth in packets, not P&L ;)
I suspect the real reason for profits is the sale of and merger of DOs and MCs.
I suspect the real reason for profits is not having to pay £250 million into the pension deficit.
I suspect the real reason for profits is the biggest rise in stamp prices ever.
The 30% price rise in first-class stamps, and 39% rise for second-class, mark the biggest annual increase in percentage terms since 1975.
Goody - that means the biggest pay rise of the century surely, I mean raking in all this money from stamps, no pension deficit and a huge hike in parcels and packets - whoopee, yep bring on the good times :thumbup :thumbup
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by PhilthyPhil »

Danelectro wrote:
the cost of getting planning permission from councils for the network of pouch boxes across the UK must have been phenomenal and I often think is there no way of finding a delivery system that can utilise that in some way and maybe greatly increase increase the size of some of the current boxes... The increase in vehicles used after a revision is incredible..i keep asking for figures for the transport costs before and after but of course nobody has a clue
Royal Mail do not need planning permission for pouch boxes or post boxes. Although I think they probably do if it is in a conservation area, not 100% sure. All they need is the council to do a records check for any underground cables/pipes etc. The same thing applies to BT and their cabinets, they do not need planning permission for them.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32816
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: privitisation/park and loop

Post by POSTMAN »

You do need planning permission,it's not a case of there is nothing underneath and off you go.
We had a lot of problems in 'the old days' getting pouch boxes put up round my way.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.