ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
brothermagrew
Posts: 3015
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
Gender: Male
Location: Shares a border with England to the south.

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by brothermagrew »

divadee just to let you know January is a nightmare on deliveries as well :Very Happy
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by Lounge Lizard »

divadee wrote:Well it's here! I'm up and had a good breakfast. Wish me luck everyone. See you on the other side!
"had a good breakfast" :nana :nana :nana
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by Lounge Lizard »

divadee wrote:Well it's here! I'm up and had a good breakfast. Wish me luck everyone. See you on the other side!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by dvbuk55 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
divadee wrote:Well it's here! I'm up and had a good breakfast. Wish me luck everyone. See you on the other side!
:shock: Not home yet? :chuckle
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by Stormproof »

DB1100 wrote:
Stormproof wrote:
DB1100 wrote: you shouldn't be taking packets now and for the next few weeks.
:crazy: why do you say that? of course she will be taking packets. Are you confusing packets with parcels?
Divadee, all I have to say is that what you see in the next month will probably be the worst of the delivery side of the job. Once you get through that you'll be ok.
No,they are all classed as packets there are no parcels,we have driving duties to cover the packets now anything that won't go though a letterbox gets left and we take all the mail,if we take packets we leave mail,simple.
The only time the packets(small) don't get done at my office is when 5 managers have to take 1 walk out. They will leave all the packets for whoever is on it the next day.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Its ok she logged in earlier - and at quite a respectable time as well for a 1st day. :Very Happy :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by Stormproof »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Its ok she logged in earlier - and at quite a respectable time as well for a 1st day. :Very Happy :Very Happy
It was her induction day was'nt it? So early finish
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by krussel »

Hope they treated her ok. :hmmmm

One office can be so diff from another :neutral:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

Phheewee back and it was a long day. Had my dinner now and relaxing before the hard work really starts tomorrow.

The induction was as I expected (a bit boring and very long). I have to say the people on this site had prepared me so well, I actually knew more than the trainer! He was very nice though. Union rep was a great laugh as well (I have already signed up so just got to give form to my d.o rep tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately no others from my d.o on induction so I'm Billy no mates newbie tomorrow!

Had lunch in the canteen and a couple of ciggy breaks (result!)

Still terrified about tomorrow lol.
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by freelunch »

Congratulations on surviving the first day :nana
Make the most of the last day of the current heat-wave tomorrow :chuckle
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by BingBong »

divadee wrote:Phheewee back and it was a long day. Had my dinner now and relaxing before the hard work really starts tomorrow.

The induction was as I expected (a bit boring and very long). I have to say the people on this site had prepared me so well, I actually knew more than the trainer! He was very nice though. Union rep was a great laugh as well (I have already signed up so just got to give form to my d.o rep tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately no others from my d.o on induction so I'm Billy no mates newbie tomorrow!

Had lunch in the canteen and a couple of ciggy breaks (result!)

Still terrified about tomorrow lol.
youll be ok
Toon Army!
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by fng »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Its ok she logged in earlier - and at quite a respectable time as well for a 1st day. :Very Happy :Very Happy
:nervous :nervous :nervous
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

Well i have survived!! But then didn't go out on delivery lol.

Have a couple of questions to ask though.

The job I applied for was 23.5 hours a week over 5 days starting at 10am. I have the job advert as a screen shot as proof.

Manager at do said I may have to do 3 full time days and then 3 off as they don't want me starting at 10am.

This may be very awkward for me with my daughter as my hubby starts at 6am some mornings so I have to get her to school if he is working. Part of me likes the thought of getting all work over and done with in 3 days but it would be a pain sometimes.

Can i refuse a change in hours like this?

I was also told that you have to prep your d2ds in your own time as you are paid separately for them. Thanks to the info I had learnt from people on here I was able to say 'what hold on a minute?' And manger quickly moved on to something else lol.
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by superports »

Not sure about your hours but, your manager is chancing his arm with the d2d's. Time is built into duties to allow prepping of d2d's.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by fishtank »

I was also told that you have to prep your d2ds in your own time as you are paid separately for them.
Only if you've started work at the D.O. that time forgot.
D2D's are part of normal workload now and you don't get paid for them at all.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share