ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Clocking in and out???

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
unhappy union member
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Mar 2012, 08:16
Gender: Female

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by unhappy union member »

it a good idea but it would never work because what would stop you clocking your partner in or out. don't say mangers the can barely run a bath
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by fishtank »

unhappy union member wrote:it a good idea but it would never work because what would stop you clocking your partner in or out.
...a camera pointed at the clocking in/out machine.
Not difficult,that's how most companies stop it.
They are not a new thing these systems and neither are the ways of fiddling them or the ways of stopping people fiddling them.
Usually they just sack the first one caught...that's what they call a game changer. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
whatamess!!
Posts: 279
Joined: 13 Jan 2011, 17:43
Gender: Female

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by whatamess!! »

unhappy union member wrote:it a good idea but it would never work because what would stop you clocking your partner in or out. don't say mangers the can barely run a bath
I used to work for a company that your thumb print was your signing in and out, it even said good morning and your name when you clocked in and have a good evening when you clocked out! Now that's modernisation!! :Applause :Applause

I do agree clocking in cards would add to the problem as I can see managers keeping them in the office and clocking everyone out or one opg coming back and clocking everyone out. :arrrghhh
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by frankieboy »

Full time staff would never agree to this as then it would show exactly what time they finish.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by Lounge Lizard »

frankieboy wrote:Full time staff would never agree to this as then it would show exactly what time they finish.
There shouldn't be a problem showing exactly what time they finish :Very Happy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

frankieboy wrote:Full time staff would never agree to this as then it would show exactly what time they finish.
You know the trouble with a sweeping statement, that its a sweeping statement.

I am FT and I have already stated in previous discussions that I support their introduction. I have no fear about showing what time I finish.

If people are going to make a sweeping statement at least qualify it, otherwise it just an assumption which fails usually at the first dose of reality. A little saying I was taught in the forces was don't assume anything it makes an ASS out of U and ME.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

frankieboy wrote:Full time staff would never agree to this as then it would show exactly what time they finish.
No no no, all OPGs of any contract that cut corners (not taking meal relief; not pushing a HCT around their whole walk and instead break SSOW rules by carrying a pouch to do loops; coming in early; not giving each address 1 minute minimum for attendence calls; not using paths to go between each delivery point etc.) would never agree to this as then it would show what time they exactly finished... Send them back out with lapsing until their finish time!
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by chrisj »

A follow up to clocking in and out and some FT/IPS staffer bashing... I will like the DM or Line managers to use a tannoy to call staff to the IPS and be more strict with those that take their time and/or continue to throw their own rounds when they are supposed to be on the IPS.

Also more performance testing and monitoring on busy days. It is so obvious some of them are just chucking the letters and packets in any slot/bag to get rid so they can go back to their own frames; thereby generating a lot of missorts which they (collectively) often reduce to do.

Although, I dont think FT not wanting managers to know their finish time is a reason not to approve clocking in and out. The managers are fully aware of their finish time and know full well that 'in general' FT staff work less of the time they get paid and PT work more of the time they get paid. :Boo hoo!
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by worktotime »

chrisj wrote:A follow up to clocking in and out and some FT/IPS staffer bashing... I will like the DM or Line managers to use a tannoy to call staff to the IPS and be more strict with those that take their time and/or continue to throw their own rounds when they are supposed to be on the IPS.

Also more performance testing and monitoring on busy days. It is so obvious some of them are just chucking the letters and packets in any slot/bag to get rid so they can go back to their own frames; thereby generating a lot of missorts which they (collectively) often reduce to do.

Although, I dont think FT not wanting managers to know their finish time is a reason not to approve clocking in and out. The managers are fully aware of their finish time and know full well that 'in general' FT staff work less of the time they get paid and PT work more of the time they get paid. :Boo hoo!
are you ft or pt ?
teesdale
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 430
Joined: 24 Nov 2007, 16:31

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by teesdale »

Id vote yes. I work with a bloke who comes in 15 minutes or more late every day and nothing is said. One and a quarter hours a week!
justdeno
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Gender: Female

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by justdeno »

I'm sick off people saying FTmers do not work their hours. I do, the part timers go home in my office at least 1 hour before their finish time and I work my full hour's cos I do a rural and do all their packets. They are sitting at home while I'm slogging my heart out delivering packets that will go in a letterbox, but because they may have 6 plus packets to make a shoebox size, I have to take it . I have no problems with clocking in and out might make my life easier! :sad:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by Lounge Lizard »

justdeno wrote:I'm sick off people saying FTmers do not work their hours. I do, the part timers go home in my office at least 1 hour before their finish time and I work my full hour's cos I do a rural and do all their packets. They are sitting at home while I'm slogging my heart out delivering packets that will go in a letterbox, but because they may have 6 plus packets to make a shoebox size, I have to take it . I have no problems with clocking in and out might make my life easier! :sad:
Agreed, it's many of the full time rural van duties that have little chance Wednesday to Friday of finishing on time. :sad:
Senior Service
Posts: 185
Joined: 19 Aug 2007, 18:34

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by Senior Service »

I have not posted for a while but have to post on this thread and say

YES PLEASE TO CLOCKING IN AND OUT !!!
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by chrisj »

So just because this person is a rural driver and gets hammered from time to time in a pre-P&L system; does that mean that the vast majority of FT staff that are not rural drivers work their time?

Just how many rural driver duties are there compared to regular duties in an office and nationwide - 5% at the most!
justdeno
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Gender: Female

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by justdeno »

chrisj wrote:So just because this person is a rural driver and gets hammered from time to time in a pre-P&L system; does that mean that the vast majority of FT staff that are not rural drivers work their time?

Just how many rural driver duties are there compared to regular duties in an office and nationwide - 5% at the most!
As I said All the p/t' staff go home at least 1 hour each day early. I never do, and I know in my area all the f/t staff work a full day( not just the rural's) so I say make the p/t staff work their hour's and deliver the packets that are not large enough to warrent a van to deliver them. That is the probelm everyone thinks they are hard done by. Bring in clocking in and out. :Very Happy