ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by krussel »

TheCobra wrote:Sorry for the essay,
No need to be sorry this is just the sort of thing that newbie's need to hear. GOOD post :Applause

TheCobra wrote:even though they knew I had been off injured, was the constant pressure I felt to 'work my day off'
I can imagine that its no fun on just 20 hrs money :sad: However ive always said there is a pain barrier to work through before your fitness level increases with aches, pains and blisters etc. During that time i would recomend sticking to just 5 days and get as much rest as possible.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by krussel »

TheCobra wrote:I find the whole culture at Royal Mail absolutely astounding. that, if you should get an injury, yes an INJURY, you get treated like a leper who should be cast adrift
You have hit the nail on the head with that.

Its always been the same iam affraid :sad: Crash off a bike and bend a wheel (something people can see) and you get sympathy and concern. Twist a ankle or pull your back carrying mail and no bugger believes you, its strange :roll:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by Stormproof »

What a shocking state this firm is in. No training given anymore, we are all scared of losing our jobs due to managers stitching us up or injuries caused by the workload.........disgusting :no no
When I hear stories like this I think I should take IHR and be done with it.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
kawoxux
Posts: 300
Joined: 18 Aug 2011, 19:36
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by kawoxux »

Firstly, come in on time. Secondly, finsih on time. If you go over, claim. If you don't want to go over and think you will, say you won't complete.

Manager can do literally NOTHING if you do this and follow the correct procedures. Comparing you with someone else is bullying, ignore it or record every incidence and complain.
Honeybeesuckle
Posts: 15
Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by Honeybeesuckle »

i'm new, temp contract, 5 months. i had a lot of pain i never expected. and plantar fiscitis too. drugs help.
ulitmately i'm very motivated. but i can see that it is such a hard job, you dont realise when you're going for the interview.
i dont think for a second i would have stuck to this job if i want in finacnial hardship. which is why i'm still here.
ultimately i need a job, and i'm not being fussy. royal mails pay is very good in comparison to others. and i'm being paid to walk.
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by Stella102 »

Everyone in our office stands up to the manager to the point where he pays people (who have finished within their contracted hours) to do overtime. Don't let these bastards control you they are worthless piece of s**t who are no better than you, tell them straight from the start and they wont think you are a push over and try things on with you. And no they can't end your contract however s**t you are.
AJ1987
Posts: 108
Joined: 29 Apr 2012, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by AJ1987 »

OnAFlyer wrote:Do you realise how lucky you are to actually be doing the same walk all the time? Most new starters are 'spares', working all over the place and even being sent to different offices if needed. All you get for spending year after year working for RM is the chance to pick a walk you like that may be slightly easier than most, but you're asking for an easy walk after a few months.

You asked to leave your walk and go spare, then complained about that and asked to have your walk back - i'm not suprised the managers thought you were being awkward to be honest.
Gota be honest I thought exactly the same as you when reading that post. Im due to start next month and expect to be given the worst walk there or be shifted from pillar to post. It's only natural to expect the guys that've been there some time to have the pick in my opinion.
wookie
Posts: 319
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by wookie »

Instead of calling him Bob, you should've chosen Knob. 45 Minutes early? It astounds me as to how one office can be SO different to another office, that includes managers as well.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by dvbuk55 »

Presumably theses are offices with a union prescence and things as described are allowed to go on. Two new starters on a P&L instead of using the official vehicle for the delivery had to take a large vehicle - I asked if they had been given the transition training only to be told - "there are loads of people waiting for that, it's just tough"
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by fng »

AJ1987 wrote:
Gota be honest I thought exactly the same as you when reading that post. Im due to start next month and expect to be given the worst walk there or be shifted from pillar to post. It's only natural to expect the guys that've been there some time to have the pick in my opinion.

To be honest I also thought the same, however on day one I was given the easiest walk in the office, with five days training :shock: and have been expecting to be kicked off it ever since ...but not yet... 11 months and counting. :pray

The guy who trained me said to me that he comes in 40 mins early every day :so there and he would look forward to seeing me at 8.10am :left: From that day till this, I have not set foot in the place 1 minute earlier than 8.50 the time I start to get paid from. :cuppa

However the walk is being absorbed into 2 other walks and 30 of us are being "re assigned duties within Royal Mail" when we finaly get our revision sorted ..... but apart from that its been a blast.
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by taurus88 »

The day you'll enjoy this job is the day you stop giving a f*ck about it. Then you'll say what you think rather than what you think they want you to say. And you'll be a lot happier for it.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by OnAFlyer »

Stormproof wrote:What a shocking state this firm is in. No training given anymore, we are all scared of losing our jobs due to managers stitching us up or injuries caused by the workload.........disgusting :no no
When I hear stories like this I think I should take IHR and be done with it.
No training?
After 3 days shadowing i was out on my own
3 days of someone showing you around a delivery is plenty (it's more than I got 15 years ago) so it's hardly changed just recently.

And I don't know anyone that is scared to lose their job through being stitched up by a manager either.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by POSTMAN »

dvbuk55 wrote:Presumably theses are offices with a union prescence and things as described are allowed to go on. Two new starters on a P&L instead of using the official vehicle for the delivery had to take a large vehicle - I asked if they had been given the transition training only to be told - "there are loads of people waiting for that, it's just tough"
Serious dangerous grounds as you well know.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by POSTMAN »

OnAFlyer wrote:
Stormproof wrote:What a shocking state this firm is in. No training given anymore, we are all scared of losing our jobs due to managers stitching us up or injuries caused by the workload.........disgusting :no no
When I hear stories like this I think I should take IHR and be done with it.
No training?
After 3 days shadowing i was out on my own
3 days of someone showing you around a delivery is plenty (it's more than I got 15 years ago) so it's hardly changed just recently.

And I don't know anyone that is scared to lose their job through being stitched up by a manager either.
It's lies on here I tells ya all lies.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: royal mail through the eyes of a new employee

Post by clashcityrocker »

POSTMAN wrote: It's lies on here I tells ya all lies.
That is correct and I should know because I make most of the stuff up. :Very Happy
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.