ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
BEING SWORE AT
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: BEING SWORE AT
I've been called a f'ing jobworth, fat bitch, c**t etc, even had some bloke threaten me and hang about outside the office. Pressed the bandit alarm on a few occassions and not a single manager responded.
I suffered with depression from being sworn at on a regular basis in the Callers office. Things like that never use to get to me but after 3 years of being abused it nearly sent me suicidal, luckily I finally realised something was wrong and went to my GP who diagnosed Reactive Depression. I was taken out of Callers, ATOS counselling and an assurance that I would never work in there again. Though the managers do try and get me to work in there, but they know they are on very shaky ground with that.
I suffered with depression from being sworn at on a regular basis in the Callers office. Things like that never use to get to me but after 3 years of being abused it nearly sent me suicidal, luckily I finally realised something was wrong and went to my GP who diagnosed Reactive Depression. I was taken out of Callers, ATOS counselling and an assurance that I would never work in there again. Though the managers do try and get me to work in there, but they know they are on very shaky ground with that.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Re: BEING SWORE AT
Only did a few days on in the callers office while on light duties. Abusive phone calls = phone down , abusive office callers = window down
One bloke offered to wait for me outside the gate i told him i did fancy him like that
he then said he'd kick the crap out of me , i then pointed out i had his name & address on the item and i could do with the compo 
-
maninred
- Posts: 213
- Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 20:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: In trouble....again
Re: BEING SWORE AT
Works for me too!maisymoo04 wrote:should do what i do it pi@@@ them off even more be nice as pie
-
mazza111
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 877
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 16:30
- Gender: Female
Re: BEING SWORE AT
I used to ask them if they would speak to their wife/mother that way. And if they continued to swear I would terminate the call. It usually resorted to asking for a manager or an effin manager, which resulted in the phone getting hung up :)
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: BEING SWORE AT
Yeah, regularly sworn at in the RLE, and not just from customers- staff (because they'd had to wait as I was serving a customer in the other office) and even a manager (after he'd fugged up!).
Just let a manager know the name/address of the person and what they said. The manager SHOULD write them a letter stating that abuse will not be tolerated. I had a great lino who wrote a letter to a guy after he came outside swearing at me because he got his mail at 1pm...
Just let a manager know the name/address of the person and what they said. The manager SHOULD write them a letter stating that abuse will not be tolerated. I had a great lino who wrote a letter to a guy after he came outside swearing at me because he got his mail at 1pm...
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: BEING SWORE AT
Thats quite shockingStormproof wrote:I've been called a f'ing jobworth, fat bitch, c**t etc, even had some bloke threaten me and hang about outside the office
We had a bloke kick off at a female member of staff and threaten to continue the conversation outside work hours. She was in pieces and very scared. The manager (at the time) was quite good and he contacted the police to report the threat, which was easy as we had his name and address from the docket (WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE).
Anyway when the yob got home he found a police car sitting outside his house who then gave him a caution.
Best bit was the dom suspended his delivery and a few days later his wife marched him down to make him apologise like a naughty school boy
Still very upsetting for the postwomen in question though.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
kawoxux
- Posts: 300
- Joined: 18 Aug 2011, 19:36
- Gender: Male
Re: BEING SWORE AT
This is a good point, if they do kick off you have name, address, proof of ID...noggin1969 wrote:Only did a few days on in the callers office while on light duties. Abusive phone calls = phone down , abusive office callers = window downOne bloke offered to wait for me outside the gate i told him i did fancy him like that
he then said he'd kick the crap out of me , i then pointed out i had his name & address on the item and i could do with the compo
-
Indy
- Posts: 977
- Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
- Gender: Male
Re: BEING SWORE AT
What the manager "at the time" did should be held up as best practice and implemented as RM policy. Asking around the office everyone (I spoke to) has been sworn at and/or threatened in some way by a customer. Its a complete scandal that RM management tacitly condones this sort of behaviour from a customer by refusing to act when an incident is reported. As I said earlier I've rarely ever seen more than a "you have to have a thick skin for doing this job". All hell brakes loose if a customer says a Postie swore or was abusive towards them!!krussel wrote:Thats quite shockingStormproof wrote:I've been called a f'ing jobworth, fat bitch, c**t etc, even had some bloke threaten me and hang about outside the office![]()
![]()
We had a bloke kick off at a female member of staff and threaten to continue the conversation outside work hours. She was in pieces and very scared. The manager (at the time) was quite good and he contacted the police to report the threat, which was easy as we had his name and address from the docket (WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE).![]()
Anyway when the yob got home he found a police car sitting outside his house who then gave him a caution.![]()
Best bit was the dom suspended his delivery and a few days later his wife marched him down to make him apologise like a naughty school boy![]()
Still very upsetting for the postwomen in question though.
-
justdeno
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
- Gender: Female
Re: BEING SWORE AT
If I ever get a abusive costumer, I just write down my DOM's mob no. and tell them to phone them, and walk off, it works, unfortunatly for the DOM, but not meeeee

-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: BEING SWORE AT
I just used to tell people that if they continued to be abusive I would refuse to serve them. I did a year in the callers and couldn't wait to get out.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: BEING SWORE AT
The last guy (customer collecting a recorded with no ID) who was abusive to me ended up in court. Ordered to pay a fine of £185 or so. None of that money came to me for my distress and having to go to the Police station out of hours to make a statement etc. He was collecting air gun pellets or something too so the Police came to wait while I was locking up that evening.
I had to send an email to IB to tell them about it
I had to send an email to IB to tell them about it
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: BEING SWORE AT
In certain cases it's acceptable...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Re: BEING SWORE AT
Just be very polite and let them know how disappointed you are with their inability to converse in a civilised and respectful manner. Disappointed ,so very,TUT
Bye
-
Terryk
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 08 Sep 2007, 22:26
Re: BEING SWORE AT
As a customer I was in a callers office a few years back when someone in the queue in front of me started ranting and raving at the RM staff. After two minutes or so they attempted to storm out but were stopped by someone behind me in the queue who put his foot against the door and demanded they apologised. It worked - mind you the bloke blocking the door was over six foot tall and built like your average night club bouncer!
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: BEING SWORE AT
It's actually what I find, most people are not only quite supportive of posties but of people in general.Terryk wrote:As a customer I was in a callers office a few years back when someone in the queue in front of me started ranting and raving at the RM staff. After two minutes or so they attempted to storm out but were stopped by someone behind me in the queue who put his foot against the door and demanded they apologised. It worked - mind you the bloke blocking the door was over six foot tall and built like your average night club bouncer!
Our society isin't really as broken as our leaders would like us to believe
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio