ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

7am-3pm

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jynxx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 198
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: 7am-3pm

Post by Jynxx »

What I've never understood is why everything is always pushed backwards so we went from 5am to 6am then 7am,(then probably 8/9am) why can't other area's of the job for example collections, mail centres and the likes be brought forward instead so we could still start at something like 6am :/
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: 7am-3pm

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Jynxx wrote:What I've never understood is why everything is always pushed backwards so we went from 5am to 6am then 7am,(then probably 8/9am) why can't other area's of the job for example collections, mail centres and the likes be brought forward instead so we could still start at something like 6am :/
- because that would involve employing more staff at Mail Centres and that would cost money. :sad:
nOfailmylife
Posts: 9
Joined: 22 Sep 2010, 18:22
Gender: Male

Re: 7am-3pm

Post by nOfailmylife »

im dreading 7-3......
i have to pick my kids up at 3.15....... :sad:
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: 7am-3pm

Post by DGP1 »

nOfailmylife wrote:im dreading 7-3......
i have to pick my kids up at 3.15....... :sad:
Tell them to walk home.............I had to when I was young...............of course I usually had to get up 3 hours before I went to bed and eat a shovel full of cold poison before being beaten to death.............and you tell youngsters that these days :nervous :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
sidewinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 348
Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
Gender: Male

Re: 7am-3pm

Post by sidewinder »

DGP1 wrote:
nOfailmylife wrote:im dreading 7-3......
i have to pick my kids up at 3.15....... :sad:
Tell them to walk home.............I had to when I was young...............of course I usually had to get up 3 hours before I went to bed and eat a shovel full of cold poison before being beaten to death.............and you tell youngsters that these days :nervous :chuckle
Don't forget you had to go down pit and up chimneys as well
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: 7am-3pm

Post by clashcityrocker »

nOfailmylife wrote:im dreading 7-3......
i have to pick my kids up at 3.15....... :sad:
Then you request a family friendly duty.
If you don't ask you don't get.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: 7am-3pm

Post by arnold cheshire »

nOfailmylife wrote:im dreading 7-3......
i have to pick my kids up at 3.15....... :sad:
break off at 3pm simples
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12213
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: 7am-3pm

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Jynxx wrote:What I've never understood is why everything is always pushed backwards so we went from 5am to 6am then 7am,(then probably 8/9am) why can't other area's of the job for example collections, mail centres and the likes be brought forward instead so we could still start at something like 6am :/
Probably partly because of walk sequencing, is your DO one of the nearest to the local MC of all the DOs that the MC serves?

By opening DOs later, for DOs nearer to the MC RM may well be able to get away with sending the first runs just after six in the morning so early shift drivers take over them runs, meaning less drivers needed on night shifts so they save money on night shifts by less people on night rate and having less drivers on nights means less professional drivers rate paid out on nights.

I would not be surprised if eventually a lot of DO duties will be first have deliveries say 11:00-15:00, then they return to the DO have meal relief, any missorts and undelivered items to wherever they get stored and/or processed in the DO. After meal relief they go out on collections.
blackadder
Posts: 584
Joined: 04 Jul 2007, 20:49
Location: deep south

Re: 7am-3pm

Post by blackadder »

i wouldnt be suprised if it got later say 5 finish. get rid of the sa then
the path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devils own satanic herd