ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

DR Martin boots

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by dvbuk55 »

DGP1 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
BettySwollocks wrote:Never tried this myself,
but i believe soaking boots in warm water, or preferably wearing them while having a bath, works a treat,
it softens the leather and helps it mould to the shape of your feet,
Well I've worn high heels in the bath but Doc Martins......................... :hmmmm not to sure about that...still who knows :chuckle
Surprised you didn't chip the enamel! And yes, I was talking about the bath, not your nail polish...
The trick is you put corks on the end and never in a fibre glass bath :whistle
Spoken like a true expert :Very Happy
From one officianado to another :wink: although teefer seemed to know a thing or two about shenanigans in the bath :cuppa maybe we could put a bathroom in the naughty room.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by TeeferTiger »

We don't own a bath, just a shower, and I'd never ruin a good pair of shoes by getting them wet!
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by DGP1 »

TeeferTiger wrote:We don't own a bath, just a shower, and I'd never ruin a good pair of shoes by getting them wet!
I know................I have the live feed :nana
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by TeeferTiger »

DGP1 wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:We don't own a bath, just a shower, and I'd never ruin a good pair of shoes by getting them wet!
I know................I have the live feed :nana
That must be nice for you, watching the husband have a shower :chuckle

And one of the cats

Image
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

DGP1 wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:We don't own a bath, just a shower, and I'd never ruin a good pair of shoes by getting them wet!
I know................I have the live feed :nana
DGP thats not a live feed - its a mirror :wink: :wink:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by dvbuk55 »

I once had a pair of old boots in the shower...........much to my everlasting shame :oops:
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You are cruel teefer - you know what his is doing now, he is biting his nails and thinking.....

"Must not make jokes about keeping your .......... <cough cough>" clean :left: :left:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by DGP1 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:You are cruel teefer - you know what his is doing now, he is biting his nails and thinking.....

"Must not make jokes about keeping your .......... <cough cough>" clean :left: :left:
I've promised to try to be good...........or at least a bit better than I usually am :nervous
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by TeeferTiger »

DGP1 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:You are cruel teefer - you know what his is doing now, he is biting his nails and thinking.....

"Must not make jokes about keeping your .......... <cough cough>" clean :left: :left:
I've promised to try to be good...........or at least a bit better than I usually am :nervous
I nearly spat my drink out through my nose then! Promised to be good?! Pffft....
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by rhino49 »

The present DM's are "Industrial" weight and are actually a thicker leather than the standard models (which we used to have) take a bit longer but do soften up after about a month - if you can get it (online or from the DM store in Leeds ) there is a Doc Martens Balsam available to treat the leather - keeps them in great condition and does help the softening without weakening the skin at the creases
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
Johnny Remo
Posts: 48
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 07:24
Gender: Male

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by Johnny Remo »

I saw a podiatrist after I started as I was having serious problems with my feet. She said boots were no good for pavements - you need to use trainers. She thought the RM Cat trainers were actually pretty decent.

I got insoles for my flat feet/over-pronation which (along with copious ibrufen for yet another condition!) have allowed me to do the job when I thought I'd have to give it up.

Downside is the Cat trainers are already pretty worn and shabby after 3 months. How long till I can order another pair?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by POSTMAN »

Johnny Remo wrote:I saw a podiatrist after I started as I was having serious problems with my feet. She said boots were no good for pavements - you need to use trainers. She thought the RM Cat trainers were actually pretty decent.

I got insoles for my flat feet/over-pronation which (along with copious ibrufen for yet another condition!) have allowed me to do the job when I thought I'd have to give it up.

Downside is the Cat trainers are already pretty worn and shabby after 3 months. How long till I can order another pair?
Straight away,inform your manager and let him see them,then he can authorise another pair.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by DGP1 »

POSTMAN wrote:
Johnny Remo wrote:I saw a podiatrist after I started as I was having serious problems with my feet. She said boots were no good for pavements - you need to use trainers. She thought the RM Cat trainers were actually pretty decent.

I got insoles for my flat feet/over-pronation which (along with copious ibrufen for yet another condition!) have allowed me to do the job when I thought I'd have to give it up.

Downside is the Cat trainers are already pretty worn and shabby after 3 months. How long till I can order another pair?
Straight away,inform your manager and let him see them,then he can authorise another pair.
There are no Cat trainers at the minute, it's a 10 week waiting time. Magnums are available though............but it's difficult to get them delivered :nervous :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Re: DR Martin boots

Post by CharlesSpooner »

I've always found the Magnums comfortable out of the box (alhough my newest pair rubbed me about an inch above the ankles enough for strike breakers to form) but they don't last long - The grips pretty much worn away at the bottom and the waterproofing is gone after 3-4 months. Never had the Caterpillars as I can't see the point of a boot so poor in wet conditions so I think I'll request the DM's next time.

Breaking in boots on a 5hr P&L delivery is certainly a bit harder than it was on a 2-3 hour walk....