ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by NewPostieUK »

savo wrote: What would you recommend if you could pick from the whole market, not just the crap that RM offers ?
Dr Martens. Break them in gently and nothing comes close.
savo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 411
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:54
Gender: Male

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by savo »

clashcityrocker wrote:Image
Awesome !!
'Dear chief secretary, I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left,' ( Liam Byrne MP )
savo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 411
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:54
Gender: Male

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by savo »

NewPostieUK wrote:
savo wrote: What would you recommend if you could pick from the whole market, not just the crap that RM offers ?
Dr Martens. Break them in gently and nothing comes close.

I like Docs, used to wear em a lot when i was younger ( the shoes, not the cherry red boots ..... ) have vague memories of them being a bit slippy in wet and icy conditions ???
'Dear chief secretary, I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left,' ( Liam Byrne MP )
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by dvbuk55 »

I always wore Doc Martens and I still have a pair of size 9's in the box unused which I have been saving for a rainy day.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by fishtank »

dvbuk55 wrote:I always wore Doc Martens and I still have a pair of size 9's in the box unused which I have been saving for a rainy day.
I ordered a new pair of boots about 4 weeks ago...got them last week.
One of the guys retired last week...got a pair of his(new :nervous )
On Saturday a line manager came round taking orders for new boots...i ordered a pair.
On Monday another line manager did the same...i ordered another pair.
I'm expecting a lot of rain.... :whistle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
savo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 411
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:54
Gender: Male

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by savo »

I will have a look on M&M's see if they doing any yellow docs, claret & blue is ok as well :Very Happy
'Dear chief secretary, I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left,' ( Liam Byrne MP )
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:I always wore Doc Martens and I still have a pair of size 9's in the box unused which I have been saving for a rainy day.
I ordered a new pair of boots about 4 weeks ago...got them last week.
One of the guys retired last week...got a pair of his(new :nervous )
On Saturday a line manager came round taking orders for new boots...i ordered a pair.
On Monday another line manager did the same...i ordered another pair.
I'm expecting a lot of rain.... :whistle
Our H&S Rep has been doing the rounds asking everyone to order boots/shoes ready for winter. Checking up on the manager who is supposed to order them to discover he can only order, according to him, 2 pairs a day sooooooooooooo 80 days later pair 1 and 2 will have worn out before pair 79 and 80 arrive :hmmmm
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by andy2007 »

savo wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
savo wrote: What would you recommend if you could pick from the whole market, not just the crap that RM offers ?
Dr Martens. Break them in gently and nothing comes close.

I like Docs, used to wear em a lot when i was younger ( the shoes, not the cherry red boots ..... ) have vague memories of them being a bit slippy in wet and icy conditions ???
I've never noticed any problems with grip. But I do know that they have 2 different soles, depending on the style of boot. The ones with the chunky soles (which RM provide) are great. But as several people have already said: Be careful to break them in gently. If you don't, you'll end up with loads of blisters. If you DO break them in gently though, they're very comfortable. Although the ones that RM provide now, aren't as good as the older ones. Or even the ones in the shops. They're just not as comfortable as they were. But they're still better than the awful Magnums! Still, what can we expect from RM, eh? :d'oh! :arrrghhh
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
jeanie
Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Aug 2010, 19:13
Gender: Male

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by jeanie »

Why can't we have proper walking boots, I go walking in the country and have zambalan walking boots, these are specially designed for walking, trailed and tested so why don't rm provide us with some. The docs, magnam and cat footwear arn't designed for walking so why are we made to wear them!! We get told that if we have an accident on duty and not wearing the footwear rm provide us with then we are not insured and yet they wern't designed and made for walking. On top of that I also have an issue with the fitting of these footwear, they called them unisex and yet they are a mans fitting so like me I have to wear 2 pairs of socks plus 4 prs of insole so they fit me, why can't we have male and female fittings like before.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by clashcityrocker »

jeanie wrote:Why can't we have proper walking boots.
Because they would cost too much.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:
jeanie wrote:Why can't we have proper walking boots.
Because they would cost too much.
Zamberlan Men's 1025 Tofane Gore-tex® Rr Nw Walking Boot
Amazon.co.uk
£280.00 :left:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
kendo1
Posts: 217
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 12:21
Gender: Male

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by kendo1 »

Postman Plodd wrote:Cat boots, 3rd pair, had them a couple of months and there's a hole in the sole at the heel already.
I find cat boots really comftable on my 3rd or 4 th pair .

Last cat boots complaind to managers that they just do not last very long.
New boots only 6 weeks old have got wholes in them already in sole.
Looks like the Cats are being made of cheap material .

Cats are great when new but when worn feel like walking in barefeet.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by DGP1 »

fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
jeanie wrote:Why can't we have proper walking boots.
Because they would cost too much.
Zamberlan Men's 1025 Tofane Gore-tex® Rr Nw Walking Boot
Amazon.co.uk
£280.00 :left:
RM would be looking to move a decimal point.................2 places :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
oypostie
Posts: 920
Joined: 25 Dec 2007, 13:39

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by oypostie »

£28000.00 Must be for Moya :dance
jeanie
Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Aug 2010, 19:13
Gender: Male

Re: Is this more cost cutting on footwear

Post by jeanie »

My zamberlan boots were £38.00 a few years ago. If bought in bulk the cost would come down. Manager has just ordered boots for everyone for the winter, Cat boots are heavy and the fitting not suitable for me but im forced to wear them.