ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Too Hot

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: Too Hot

Post by fng »

Dont worry I do use sunblock on sunny days, my point is why the hell should I have to pay for it, when it is RM legal duty to protect me from health and saftey hazards such as working outdoors in the hot midday sun. I did not pay for my boots from RM so why should I have to pay for sunblock ? Why is wearing the right boots more important than taking measures to protect yourself from harmful solar radiation ?

p.s 99p whats that factor one ??, that will protect me for about one minute on a really hot sunny day. I reckon its you that needs to start spending a bit more money on your sunblock not me :shock:


I read from your post that you didn't buy/use it on principle. Im glad I was wrong and that you do use it. My mistake.

p.s. Last Tuesday factor 30 from wilkos 3 miles from me only 99p, bought 15 of them, sold 6 on ebay already :Very Happy
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Too Hot

Post by Lounge Lizard »

fng wrote:
Dont worry I do use sunblock on sunny days, my point is why the hell should I have to pay for it, when it is RM legal duty to protect me from health and saftey hazards such as working outdoors in the hot midday sun. I did not pay for my boots from RM so why should I have to pay for sunblock ? Why is wearing the right boots more important than taking measures to protect yourself from harmful solar radiation ?

p.s 99p whats that factor one ??, that will protect me for about one minute on a really hot sunny day. I reckon its you that needs to start spending a bit more money on your sunblock not me :shock:


I read from your post that you didn't buy/use it on principle. Im glad I was wrong and that you do use it. My mistake.

p.s. Last Tuesday factor 30 from wilkos 3 miles from me only 99p, bought 15 of them, sold 6 on ebay already :Very Happy
- and so are partly to blame for all these packets we're delivering. :shock: :sad: :shock:
muzzy
Posts: 220
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 21:01
Gender: Male

Re: Too Hot

Post by muzzy »

You need to ask to wear a dust mask as well to stop inhaling car fumes, in fact a dust mask wont be much use, you would need a full face bio/ chem respirator face mask with changeable filters.
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: Too Hot

Post by Pat Ostman »

Think the least they should provide is a water bottle and ice cold water. We get a plastic cup and lukewarm water that has seen better days.

Royal Mail have a duty of care if they are thrusting you out in hot temperatures but some responsibility lies with us as well.
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Too Hot

Post by POSTMAN »

The job has changed,the weather has changed,this need to be looked at in a serious way.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/infor ... utdoor.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: Too Hot

Post by fng »

Lounge Lizard wrote: I read from your post that you didn't buy/use it on principle. Im glad I was wrong and that you do use it. My mistake.

p.s. Last Tuesday factor 30 from wilkos 3 miles from me only 99p, bought 15 of them, sold 6 on ebay already :Very Happy
- and so are partly to blame for all these packets we're delivering. :shock: :sad: :shock:[/quote]

OOOPS never thought about that..... sorry guys ! :oops: :d'oh! :oops:
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: Too Hot

Post by not me »

POSTMAN wrote:The job has changed,the weather has changed,this need to be looked at in a serious way.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/infor ... utdoor.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for sure
only a fewyears ago we were done before the sun was high in the sky
minimumstandard
Posts: 134
Joined: 28 Jul 2010, 12:17
Gender: Male

Re: Too Hot

Post by minimumstandard »

Have tou got your australian hat yet, also your manager should supply you with an ice lolly.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Too Hot

Post by DGP1 »

minimumstandard wrote:Have tou got your australian hat yet, also your manager should supply you with an ice lolly.
I have mine but I'm still trying to work up the courage to wear it :nervous :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: Too Hot

Post by fng »

minimumstandard wrote:Have tou got your australian hat yet, also your manager should supply you with an ice lolly.
I'm wading my way through bottle after bottle of wine, just to get enough corks to hang from it :crazy: .
It took me 6 bottles to realise they were all screw top :d'oh!
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"