ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

University Degrees

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: University Degrees

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:At 18 there shouldn't be a choice after college, it would be straight in to boot camp for 2 years national service. Now there is an experience that would be unparalelled in instilling discipline and imparting skills.
And who's going to pay for that?
The Services no longer have the infrastructure to deal with the tiny army we now have never mind a couple of hundred thousand acne covered hormonal teenagers...and where would you send the equally troublesome girls?
There's no mills left dv. :chuckle
:chuckle Who would pay? - I'd have thought that was obvious - THEY pay for the benefit of being taught skills they wouldn't normally learn - humility, obedience, ironing, cooking, cleaning shoes, managing without computer games, facebook, twitter, blogs. I'd have thought parents would find it the cheaper option to pay a couple of hundred quid a month, tax deductable of course. The girls? - now who would do the laundry and cooking if we didn't include the girls - it would be back down to the river bank and pummelling those undies with a stone. And punishments, - I have definite ideas on how punishment would be administered. :chuckle
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: University Degrees

Post by DGP1 »

Are you really dvb?? National service???? The last thing we need is all those scrotes trained in the use of weapons, fitter and able to think tactically ...........they're bad enough without training them too.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: University Degrees

Post by Tman »

Well if everyone worked hard and did well who would collect the garbage, empty the dog s**t bins or deliver the mail in torrential rain?
It wouldn't be the graduates with useful degrees, though. That's only for those with crap degrees (or no degrees ;liar ) "interlinked" or not...
Britain is a country of lies and liars im afraid and the majority of people will live boring, mundane and uninspired lives.
Ah, it's the country's fault you're only a postie now? Still, as long as you enjoyed the three years majoring on North African basket weaving.... :Boo hoo!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: University Degrees

Post by dvbuk55 »

DGP1 wrote:Are you really dvb?? National service???? The last thing we need is all those scrotes trained in the use of weapons, fitter and able to think tactically ...........they're bad enough without training them too.
Oh yes! It is the real me. The lads would do the manly things after training and the girls would look after the homely things, especially looking after the old people - I wouldn't have thought you would be too adverse to that DGP. As for being armed - well the real thing is much more dangerous than these computer games that encourage teenagers to shoot or stab their way out of trouble. You learn to respect the weapon if trained properly and not via call of duty.
box_shana
Posts: 26
Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 20:48
Gender: Male

Re: University Degrees

Post by box_shana »

dvbuk55 wrote:
box_shana wrote: I really enjoyed it, so much so I wanted to continue in the field I studied. Anyway I got a 2.1 and this opened the door for me to apply for studentships, where a research council pay for your course fees and living expenses. So for my masters I applied and was awarded a one year studentship from the EPSRC and for my PhD I was awarded a three year STFC studentship which ran out last October.
I presume then that to complete the course you need to write your thesis - so what's the holdup? I would have thought you would want to get it out of the way and put into practice what you have spent the last 8 years studying.
Ha I wish it was that straight forward, I have written my thesis, I am now waiting for my supervisor to read it and give me the ok, its a pity tough that he does not give a stuff about his PhD students, meaning it takes months for any feedback from him. Anyway after waiting a year for feedback for all the thesis, I finally got it recently, so its a case of doing the corrections and a little bit more that needs to be added, and I will submit. Then it should take a month to organize the vivia.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: University Degrees

Post by dvbuk55 »

box_shana wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
box_shana wrote: I really enjoyed it, so much so I wanted to continue in the field I studied. Anyway I got a 2.1 and this opened the door for me to apply for studentships, where a research council pay for your course fees and living expenses. So for my masters I applied and was awarded a one year studentship from the EPSRC and for my PhD I was awarded a three year STFC studentship which ran out last October.
I presume then that to complete the course you need to write your thesis - so what's the holdup? I would have thought you would want to get it out of the way and put into practice what you have spent the last 8 years studying.
Ha I wish it was that straight forward, I have written my thesis, I am now waiting for my supervisor to read it and give me the ok, its a pity tough that he does not give a stuff about his PhD students, meaning it takes months for any feedback from him. Anyway after waiting a year for feedback for all the thesis, I finally got it recently, so its a case of doing the corrections and a little bit more that needs to be added, and I will submit. Then it should take a month to organize the vivia.

Send it back as is box-shana with a sticky attached to the front saying "I know where you live" :evil/mad Bet he gets in touch :chuckle
box_shana
Posts: 26
Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 20:48
Gender: Male

Re: University Degrees

Post by box_shana »

dvbuk55 wrote:
box_shana wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
box_shana wrote: I really enjoyed it, so much so I wanted to continue in the field I studied. Anyway I got a 2.1 and this opened the door for me to apply for studentships, where a research council pay for your course fees and living expenses. So for my masters I applied and was awarded a one year studentship from the EPSRC and for my PhD I was awarded a three year STFC studentship which ran out last October.
I presume then that to complete the course you need to write your thesis - so what's the holdup? I would have thought you would want to get it out of the way and put into practice what you have spent the last 8 years studying.
Ha I wish it was that straight forward, I have written my thesis, I am now waiting for my supervisor to read it and give me the ok, its a pity tough that he does not give a stuff about his PhD students, meaning it takes months for any feedback from him. Anyway after waiting a year for feedback for all the thesis, I finally got it recently, so its a case of doing the corrections and a little bit more that needs to be added, and I will submit. Then it should take a month to organize the vivia.

Send it back as is box-shana with a sticky attached to the front saying "I know where you live" :evil/mad Bet he gets in touch :chuckle
very very tempting :chuckle
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: University Degrees

Post by DGP1 »

dvbuk55 wrote:
DGP1 wrote:Are you really dvb?? National service???? The last thing we need is all those scrotes trained in the use of weapons, fitter and able to think tactically ...........they're bad enough without training them too.
Oh yes! It is the real me. The lads would do the manly things after training and the girls would look after the homely things, especially looking after the old people - I wouldn't have thought you would be too adverse to that DGP. As for being armed - well the real thing is much more dangerous than these computer games that encourage teenagers to shoot or stab their way out of trouble. You learn to respect the weapon if trained properly and not via call of duty.
I learned everything I know about weapons from COD................I especially like the way if you're shot then you just go to respawn point and are all better again :nervous
You do like the young people looking after you........especially all the bed baths :nervous (and I thought I was the love of your life) :nana
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: University Degrees

Post by dvbuk55 »

DGP1 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
DGP1 wrote:Are you really dvb?? National service???? The last thing we need is all those scrotes trained in the use of weapons, fitter and able to think tactically ...........they're bad enough without training them too.
Oh yes! It is the real me. The lads would do the manly things after training and the girls would look after the homely things, especially looking after the old people - I wouldn't have thought you would be too adverse to that DGP. As for being armed - well the real thing is much more dangerous than these computer games that encourage teenagers to shoot or stab their way out of trouble. You learn to respect the weapon if trained properly and not via call of duty.
I learned everything I know about weapons from COD................I especially like the way if you're shot then you just go to respawn point and are all better again :nervous
You do like the young people looking after you........especially all the bed baths :nervous (and I thought I was the love of your life) :nana
Well you are for the important things DG :wave
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: University Degrees

Post by BELIAL »

DGP1 wrote:Are you really dvb?? National service???? The last thing we need is all those scrotes trained in the use of weapons, fitter and able to think tactically ...........they're bad enough without training them too.
National service :chuckle Bring it on :Applause Last times we had lots of pissed off people weapons trained and disciplined we got homes fit for heroes ,the NHS and the welfare state :chuckle
Bye
MinisterofCucumber
Posts: 806
Joined: 15 Dec 2009, 22:18
Gender: Male

Re: University Degrees

Post by MinisterofCucumber »

Ex-military vs police:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qhIZ8Px9Sc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You wanna f**k with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!" - Tony Montana
Harry_Perkins
Posts: 206
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 15:42
Gender: Male

Re: University Degrees

Post by Harry_Perkins »

pickaname wrote:Not everyone can be successful.

Youre told the opposite of this all your life - work hard and you'll do well.
Aye, this is one of those tiresome slogans that we are expected to parrot without really considering the wider implications. I think really we've got 3 choices with the most boring menial jobs 1) we share it out amongst everyone 2) give the highest pay to these jobs to encourage people to do them (the opposite of now) 3) we force people to do them on pain of destitution. Naturally, 3 is the choice of our society, just so a small lazy proportion of the population don't have to do any work for a living! (and I don't mean the vast majority of the unemployed who want to work).
You must understand that I am here purely as A BEARER OF MESSAGES.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: University Degrees

Post by dvbuk55 »

Harry_Perkins wrote:
pickaname wrote:Not everyone can be successful.

Youre told the opposite of this all your life - work hard and you'll do well.
Aye, this is one of those tiresome slogans that we are expected to parrot without really considering the wider implications. I think really we've got 3 choices with the most boring menial jobs 1) we share it out amongst everyone 2) give the highest pay to these jobs to encourage people to do them (the opposite of now) 3) we force people to do them on pain of destitution. Naturally, 3 is the choice of our society, just so a small lazy proportion of the population don't have to do any work for a living! (and I don't mean the vast majority of the unemployed who want to work).
:hmmmm Well that opens a new discussion really Harry - should the most intelligent be paid the most money, when it is really the drones who produce all the wealth.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: University Degrees

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Harry_Perkins wrote:
pickaname wrote:Not everyone can be successful.

Youre told the opposite of this all your life - work hard and you'll do well.
Aye, this is one of those tiresome slogans that we are expected to parrot without really considering the wider implications. I think really we've got 3 choices with the most boring menial jobs 1) we share it out amongst everyone 2) give the highest pay to these jobs to encourage people to do them (the opposite of now) 3) we force people to do them on pain of destitution. Naturally, 3 is the choice of our society, just so a small lazy proportion of the population don't have to do any work for a living! (and I don't mean the vast majority of the unemployed who want to work).
:hmmmm Well that opens a new discussion really Harry - should the most intelligent be paid the most money, when it is really the drones who produce all the wealth.
Karl Marx - From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: University Degrees

Post by Tman »

Karl Marx - From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
OK in theory....wonder if any state or country will ever give it a try in practice.. :whistle