fishtank wrote:And who's going to pay for that?dvbuk55 wrote:At 18 there shouldn't be a choice after college, it would be straight in to boot camp for 2 years national service. Now there is an experience that would be unparalelled in instilling discipline and imparting skills.
The Services no longer have the infrastructure to deal with the tiny army we now have never mind a couple of hundred thousand acne covered hormonal teenagers...and where would you send the equally troublesome girls?
There's no mills left dv.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
University Degrees
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: University Degrees
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: University Degrees
Are you really dvb?? National service???? The last thing we need is all those scrotes trained in the use of weapons, fitter and able to think tactically ...........they're bad enough without training them too.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
Tman
- Posts: 4147
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: University Degrees
It wouldn't be the graduates with useful degrees, though. That's only for those with crap degrees (or no degreesWell if everyone worked hard and did well who would collect the garbage, empty the dog s**t bins or deliver the mail in torrential rain?
Ah, it's the country's fault you're only a postie now? Still, as long as you enjoyed the three years majoring on North African basket weaving....Britain is a country of lies and liars im afraid and the majority of people will live boring, mundane and uninspired lives.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: University Degrees
Oh yes! It is the real me. The lads would do the manly things after training and the girls would look after the homely things, especially looking after the old people - I wouldn't have thought you would be too adverse to that DGP. As for being armed - well the real thing is much more dangerous than these computer games that encourage teenagers to shoot or stab their way out of trouble. You learn to respect the weapon if trained properly and not via call of duty.DGP1 wrote:Are you really dvb?? National service???? The last thing we need is all those scrotes trained in the use of weapons, fitter and able to think tactically ...........they're bad enough without training them too.
-
box_shana
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 20:48
- Gender: Male
Re: University Degrees
Ha I wish it was that straight forward, I have written my thesis, I am now waiting for my supervisor to read it and give me the ok, its a pity tough that he does not give a stuff about his PhD students, meaning it takes months for any feedback from him. Anyway after waiting a year for feedback for all the thesis, I finally got it recently, so its a case of doing the corrections and a little bit more that needs to be added, and I will submit. Then it should take a month to organize the vivia.dvbuk55 wrote:I presume then that to complete the course you need to write your thesis - so what's the holdup? I would have thought you would want to get it out of the way and put into practice what you have spent the last 8 years studying.box_shana wrote: I really enjoyed it, so much so I wanted to continue in the field I studied. Anyway I got a 2.1 and this opened the door for me to apply for studentships, where a research council pay for your course fees and living expenses. So for my masters I applied and was awarded a one year studentship from the EPSRC and for my PhD I was awarded a three year STFC studentship which ran out last October.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: University Degrees
box_shana wrote:Ha I wish it was that straight forward, I have written my thesis, I am now waiting for my supervisor to read it and give me the ok, its a pity tough that he does not give a stuff about his PhD students, meaning it takes months for any feedback from him. Anyway after waiting a year for feedback for all the thesis, I finally got it recently, so its a case of doing the corrections and a little bit more that needs to be added, and I will submit. Then it should take a month to organize the vivia.dvbuk55 wrote:I presume then that to complete the course you need to write your thesis - so what's the holdup? I would have thought you would want to get it out of the way and put into practice what you have spent the last 8 years studying.box_shana wrote: I really enjoyed it, so much so I wanted to continue in the field I studied. Anyway I got a 2.1 and this opened the door for me to apply for studentships, where a research council pay for your course fees and living expenses. So for my masters I applied and was awarded a one year studentship from the EPSRC and for my PhD I was awarded a three year STFC studentship which ran out last October.
Send it back as is box-shana with a sticky attached to the front saying "I know where you live"
-
box_shana
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 26 Aug 2011, 20:48
- Gender: Male
Re: University Degrees
very very temptingdvbuk55 wrote:box_shana wrote:Ha I wish it was that straight forward, I have written my thesis, I am now waiting for my supervisor to read it and give me the ok, its a pity tough that he does not give a stuff about his PhD students, meaning it takes months for any feedback from him. Anyway after waiting a year for feedback for all the thesis, I finally got it recently, so its a case of doing the corrections and a little bit more that needs to be added, and I will submit. Then it should take a month to organize the vivia.dvbuk55 wrote:I presume then that to complete the course you need to write your thesis - so what's the holdup? I would have thought you would want to get it out of the way and put into practice what you have spent the last 8 years studying.box_shana wrote: I really enjoyed it, so much so I wanted to continue in the field I studied. Anyway I got a 2.1 and this opened the door for me to apply for studentships, where a research council pay for your course fees and living expenses. So for my masters I applied and was awarded a one year studentship from the EPSRC and for my PhD I was awarded a three year STFC studentship which ran out last October.
Send it back as is box-shana with a sticky attached to the front saying "I know where you live"Bet he gets in touch
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: University Degrees
I learned everything I know about weapons from COD................I especially like the way if you're shot then you just go to respawn point and are all better againdvbuk55 wrote:Oh yes! It is the real me. The lads would do the manly things after training and the girls would look after the homely things, especially looking after the old people - I wouldn't have thought you would be too adverse to that DGP. As for being armed - well the real thing is much more dangerous than these computer games that encourage teenagers to shoot or stab their way out of trouble. You learn to respect the weapon if trained properly and not via call of duty.DGP1 wrote:Are you really dvb?? National service???? The last thing we need is all those scrotes trained in the use of weapons, fitter and able to think tactically ...........they're bad enough without training them too.
You do like the young people looking after you........especially all the bed baths
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: University Degrees
Well you are for the important things DGDGP1 wrote:I learned everything I know about weapons from COD................I especially like the way if you're shot then you just go to respawn point and are all better againdvbuk55 wrote:Oh yes! It is the real me. The lads would do the manly things after training and the girls would look after the homely things, especially looking after the old people - I wouldn't have thought you would be too adverse to that DGP. As for being armed - well the real thing is much more dangerous than these computer games that encourage teenagers to shoot or stab their way out of trouble. You learn to respect the weapon if trained properly and not via call of duty.DGP1 wrote:Are you really dvb?? National service???? The last thing we need is all those scrotes trained in the use of weapons, fitter and able to think tactically ...........they're bad enough without training them too.![]()
You do like the young people looking after you........especially all the bed baths(and I thought I was the love of your life)
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Re: University Degrees
National serviceDGP1 wrote:Are you really dvb?? National service???? The last thing we need is all those scrotes trained in the use of weapons, fitter and able to think tactically ...........they're bad enough without training them too.
Bye
-
MinisterofCucumber
- Posts: 806
- Joined: 15 Dec 2009, 22:18
- Gender: Male
Re: University Degrees
Ex-military vs police:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qhIZ8Px9Sc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qhIZ8Px9Sc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You wanna f**k with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!" - Tony Montana
-
Harry_Perkins
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 15:42
- Gender: Male
Re: University Degrees
Aye, this is one of those tiresome slogans that we are expected to parrot without really considering the wider implications. I think really we've got 3 choices with the most boring menial jobs 1) we share it out amongst everyone 2) give the highest pay to these jobs to encourage people to do them (the opposite of now) 3) we force people to do them on pain of destitution. Naturally, 3 is the choice of our society, just so a small lazy proportion of the population don't have to do any work for a living! (and I don't mean the vast majority of the unemployed who want to work).pickaname wrote:Not everyone can be successful.
Youre told the opposite of this all your life - work hard and you'll do well.
You must understand that I am here purely as A BEARER OF MESSAGES.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: University Degrees
Harry_Perkins wrote:Aye, this is one of those tiresome slogans that we are expected to parrot without really considering the wider implications. I think really we've got 3 choices with the most boring menial jobs 1) we share it out amongst everyone 2) give the highest pay to these jobs to encourage people to do them (the opposite of now) 3) we force people to do them on pain of destitution. Naturally, 3 is the choice of our society, just so a small lazy proportion of the population don't have to do any work for a living! (and I don't mean the vast majority of the unemployed who want to work).pickaname wrote:Not everyone can be successful.
Youre told the opposite of this all your life - work hard and you'll do well.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72773
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: University Degrees
Karl Marx - From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.dvbuk55 wrote:Harry_Perkins wrote:Aye, this is one of those tiresome slogans that we are expected to parrot without really considering the wider implications. I think really we've got 3 choices with the most boring menial jobs 1) we share it out amongst everyone 2) give the highest pay to these jobs to encourage people to do them (the opposite of now) 3) we force people to do them on pain of destitution. Naturally, 3 is the choice of our society, just so a small lazy proportion of the population don't have to do any work for a living! (and I don't mean the vast majority of the unemployed who want to work).pickaname wrote:Not everyone can be successful.
Youre told the opposite of this all your life - work hard and you'll do well.Well that opens a new discussion really Harry - should the most intelligent be paid the most money, when it is really the drones who produce all the wealth.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Tman
- Posts: 4147
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: University Degrees
OK in theory....wonder if any state or country will ever give it a try in practice..Karl Marx - From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.