ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

claiming fuel

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: claiming fuel

Post by POSTMAN »

I think Tommy and his mates are short of a shed or 2. :left:
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
calpsy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 491
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
Gender: Male

Re: claiming fuel

Post by calpsy »

Make sure if you ARE entitled to it he pays you the right amount .

I was paid the lesser amount on loads of journeys and it was only when i asked a mate with access to works computer to pay me my fuel that he noticed it was not the full amount i was getting :evil/mad :evil/mad .

It does mount up so do claim it back . I got back about £300 when i was shipped to another office for 2-3 months .
tommythreesheds
Posts: 89
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 15:02
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Re: claiming fuel

Post by tommythreesheds »

Yes. We have to park them in a different area of the village. Hey, i'm not moaning.....just wondering. :Very Happy
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: claiming fuel

Post by not me »

tommythreesheds wrote:Yes. We have to park them in a different area of the village. Hey, i'm not moaning.....just wondering. :Very Happy

but if its only half a mile,why dont you go and empty the vans first
then go and park up/drive home
surely it takes longer to transfer the stuff to your car than drive direct to the DO?
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: claiming fuel

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

tommythreesheds wrote:My fellow posties and i have to drive 1/2 a mile to pick up our vans in the morning. We then finish, park back up, and then drive back in our own cars to the sorting office with trays etc. Ok, its only 5 miles a week, but, 20 miles a month, 240 miles a year.........Moneys money, and fuel is not getting cheaper!
Can we claim anything for this?
This really shows what has happened to society in general, using cars for short journeys... How about using a Royal Mail bike to cycle between the depot and the van parking location?
spankyII
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Sep 2010, 21:07
Gender: Female

Re: claiming fuel

Post by spankyII »

I've been covering a chap's days off at a different office (sub-office?) for a while now and haven't been offered any mileage. The office is about 5 miles from my normal DO, about 9 miles from my house, obviously the managers would prefer it if I just took my car and kept quiet. Should they have to offer me transport there and back or mileage money? If so would it be mileage from the DO or my house? Is it 40p/mile?
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: claiming fuel

Post by Stormproof »

spankyII wrote:I've been covering a chap's days off at a different office (sub-office?) for a while now and haven't been offered any mileage. The office is about 5 miles from my normal DO, about 9 miles from my house, obviously the managers would prefer it if I just took my car and kept quiet. Should they have to offer me transport there and back or mileage money? If so would it be mileage from the DO or my house? Is it 40p/mile?
You should be going into your normal office and then the management should be getting you out to the sub office. Your finish time should be the time you are back at your own office.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: claiming fuel

Post by PhilthyPhil »

Alternatively, if you are happy using your car, you should claim the mileage you do going to the other office minus the mileage you normally do going to your home office.
spankyII
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Sep 2010, 21:07
Gender: Female

Re: claiming fuel

Post by spankyII »

Thanks stormproof. They chose me to cover for the guy specifically because I have a car. They're a little light on vehicles, they've said they could get me there with the mail but there's no way to get me back for my finish time.

Thanks Phil, I'll go in tomorrow and make demands :)
feelikeadogsbody
Posts: 66
Joined: 02 Mar 2011, 09:07
Gender: Male
Location: down south

Re: claiming fuel

Post by feelikeadogsbody »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
tommythreesheds wrote:My fellow posties and i have to drive 1/2 a mile to pick up our vans in the morning. We then finish, park back up, and then drive back in our own cars to the sorting office with trays etc. Ok, its only 5 miles a week, but, 20 miles a month, 240 miles a year.........Moneys money, and fuel is not getting cheaper!
Can we claim anything for this?
This really shows what has happened to society in general, using cars for short journeys... How about using a Royal Mail bike to cycle between the depot and the van parking location?
Whats a royal mail bike then? :wink:
when i am king you will be first against the wall
with your opinions which are of no consequence at all
anyway im cutting off
scoobydo79
Posts: 2060
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: claiming fuel

Post by scoobydo79 »

Unbelievable :shock:
Lateagainpostie
Posts: 393
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 18:17
Gender: Male

Re: claiming fuel

Post by Lateagainpostie »

pyphon wrote:you only get mileage when you are loaned to another office and use your own transport
Only if your DOM agrees top pay it, our DOM was on holiday, I was loaned to another office, I used my own car after being told I could claim 40p per mile, when the DOM came back he refused to pay it as the loan was for an "extended period" and would be too expensive.
Funny thing is, his alternative was for me to use one of the loan office vans to get backwards and forwards, this also means I have to start and finish in my parent office, so they lose an hour a day of my services for my travelling.
Is it me ? :cuppa
If you love Man Utd, you'll love my forum Talkingreds
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: claiming fuel

Post by Lounge Lizard »

kizzy wrote:I travel to the delevery office to work but then I choose to travel to my route area and do my round on completion I come home.I understand I can claim fuel at 40p per mile ( not alot in this day and age what with fuel so high ).
But how do I go about this and what bit of the jorney am I entitled to cliam for ?
"40p per mile ( not alot in this day and age what with fuel so high )" - get a more efficient vehicle if it's only doing about fifteen miles to the gallon.
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: claiming fuel

Post by PhilthyPhil »

Lateagainpostie wrote:
pyphon wrote:you only get mileage when you are loaned to another office and use your own transport
Only if your DOM agrees top pay it, our DOM was on holiday, I was loaned to another office, I used my own car after being told I could claim 40p per mile, when the DOM came back he refused to pay it as the loan was for an "extended period" and would be too expensive.
Funny thing is, his alternative was for me to use one of the loan office vans to get backwards and forwards, this also means I have to start and finish in my parent office, so they lose an hour a day of my services for my travelling.
Is it me ? :cuppa
You should be claiming the mileage in the office you are loaned to not in your parent office. It should not be your office which pays for it.
kizzy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 42
Joined: 31 Jan 2011, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: claiming fuel

Post by kizzy »

it 45p a mile you can claim.