ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Spelling

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Spelling

Post by POSTMAN »

:funneh http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=26633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Day Ja Voo
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Spelling

Post by POSTMAN »

And it aint just us...
:oops:

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=18904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Spelling

Post by stokes11eg »

:sad: I think people forget that in many schools now, there is no 'standard' spelling, many children are not corrected for what we consider poor spelling!
And, having taken a six month course in modern office proceedures etc, I find that that a lot of grammar, punctuation, and spelling, is different from the way we were taught .
As long as you can understand what someone means, what's the problem?
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: Spelling

Post by George door to dawes »

ElvisGaddafi wrote:
George door to dawes wrote:
taurus88 wrote:
Eric Cantona wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:I know the procedure on this site is to not draw attention to spelling mistakes just for the sake of it, so I won't. But having just read through a few posts, virtually none of which were spelt 100% correctly, I have a question. Does nobody care that non employees reading these forums must think that we are all a load of thick bastards?
If your that good and educated why are you working for Royal Mail?
I'm a reasonably educated man, yet I work for Royal Mail. I'm sure there are many different kinds of people working within RM for all manner of reasons. I work for RM because the choice I had was to accept the job, or else face more months of unemployment. I think it was a pretty straightforward choice in retrospect.

Regarding spell-checkers, I have one built in to Firefox, but I generally ignore it because I am lazy.
I have Firefox and doesnt work for some reason even though its turned on in the option menu.

Why is spelling being discussed as a indicator of intelligence anyway? Albert Einstein had dislexia so that throws that theory out of the window. And intelligent or not we all have to eat and pay the bills so whats wrong with working in Royal Mail? I know a few lads at the office with degrees doesnt mean anything when the economy is screwed and all jobs are scarce.
So you're saying that most of the posties on this site suffer from dyslexia?
Does my post say everyone on here suffers from dyslexia? My point was just because you cant spell doesnt mean your a thicko! For instance i would consider myself fairly intelligent but honestly i cant spell for sh**! :Very Happy Another example is a friend at work who grew up in jamaica who didnt really have the opportunity to get an education so the guy can barely read or write. The culture he grew up in doesnt really effect his problem solving skills in the slightest. His low reading and writing skills are purely a sign of poor english skills nothing more!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Spelling

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
A. A. Milne
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Spelling

Post by Lounge Lizard »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
A. A. Milne
"and the letters get in the wrong places" - that's very serious in this job. :shock: :sad: :shock:
George door to dawes
Posts: 378
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 17:48
Gender: Female

Re: Spelling

Post by George door to dawes »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
A. A. Milne
"and the letters get in the wrong places" - that's very serious in this job. :shock: :sad: :shock:
Very serious! Do it too often and they will promote you to line manager! :Very Happy